Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Post-ride feeling 'fluey'/legs dead – diet/after ride food?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok for the past few weeks I’ve not eaten any carbs before my rides. I’ve eaten bacon/eggs. Ridden fine- but say Sunday afternoon/Monday – I feel fluey. Abit washed out.

Post-ride what should I be eating? I normally jump straight into the car and drive 45mins home.

I don’t think I need carbs during the ride as I don’t feel hungry nor do I feel I need food.

I’m guessing post-ride I DO need to eat but whats optimum/best to allow me to ride again the next day?

psling
    Free Member

Protein young man, protein. And hydration.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 Protein.

I’ve been using a protein shake straight after a hard ride and it’s really helped. I only use shakes because it’s dead easy and quick, and also helps with hydration.

hora
    Free Member

Ah! will do. I’ve got some stuff already. Cheers 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I also eat a can of tuna pre ride sometimes if I know it’s going to be a tough one. seems to help.

adsh
    Free Member

Purely from the point of view of performance during and next day it needs to be carbohydrate before during and after.

Carb meal night before, carb meal 2hrs before, small carb snack 30mins before,90gr per hour during, recovery or full fat coke within 15m of finishing (window of max carb uptake for muscles) and large carb meal within 2hrs.

Not exactly a weight loss programme except fat should be minimised as it prevents uptake of carbs by lining stomach. Lean meat is fine

hora
    Free Member

I’m avoiding being carb-dependent for now as I have a few fat reserves that I’d like to unload.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Purely from the point of view of performance during and next day it needs to be carbohydrate before during and after.

This. Plus protein and green veg. Eat within 30mins of stopping riding (or if not possible then have a protein shake as soon as you get off the bike). Protein shake just before bed helps a lot if you are training / racing.

I don’t think it needs to be as high as 90g carb per hour, i’m lucky if i hit 40g but can train / race fine on that as long as i have carbs before/after as well.

I got a bit of a shock when i worked out what a portion of rice should actually be to give me the number of carbs i wanted – its not very much compared to just piling it on my plate!

Other stuff like proper rehydration, stretching, foam roller will also help.

adsh
    Free Member

And ibuprofen!

funkrodent

One of the best post ride recovery drinks is a pint or two of good old milk. Lots of protein, a fair whack of carbs from the lactose, easy to source and a heck of a lot cheaper than most recovery shakes. There’s some academic research somewhere that shows milk as at least as effective as the post exercise products that it was compared to..

*Heads off into the uncharted wastes of t’internet to find the elusive linky*

jonba
    Free Member

hora – Member

I’m avoiding being carb-dependent for now as I have a few fat reserves that I’d like to unload.

You probably feel tired because your blood sugar level has dropped. I doubt protien would help with this as your metabolism is probably setup to convert fat and sugars into energy.

You can shift weight and still eat carbohydrates. Just eat less. Cutting out carbs and eating excess calories will still mean you struggle to shift weight. Alternatively if you starve yourself you might find you continue to get tired and the weight loss stops as your body starts to think you are in the midst of a food shortage.

Other stuff like proper rehydration, stretching, foam roller will also help.

This will help.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Following up on the milk recommendation, chocolate milk (or similar flavoured milk) is good because it has a “magic” 4:1 ratio of sugary carbs to protein. Protein is important for helping your muscles recover, but just is important is sugar.

Lifer
    Free Member

adsh
    Free Member

Coke has more carbohydrate which it’s caffeine helps absorb plus it has no fat which means it’s overall calories per ml is lower. No protein but that isn’t an immediate need in the 15minute window. Anyway whatever you prefer.

zerocool

You need carbs. Our bodies aren’t very good at actually using our stored fat as fuel.

Lifer
    Free Member

Coke is absolutely disgusting though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I do carbs pre ride, but not post ride. I do sometimes get a totally lethargic meh and dazed feel the following day, though sometimes get that without a ride the day before. Still, maybe I’ll try some of the above.

miketually
    Free Member

Even if you’re trying to become a fat burner, from what I remember you need some carbs during exercise to fuel the burning of fat, if you’re exercising for more than an hour.

For a ride starting in the morning, I used to just have coffee before, then nothing but water for the first hour. After that, I drank apple juice diluted 50:50 with water so I was getting some carbs but not much.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Post-ride feeling 'fluey'/legs dead – diet/after ride food?’ is closed to new replies.