Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Post Ride Appetite
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have noticed an interesting change in my appetite pattern in the last year.

I normally ride a minimum of three times a week. A long roadie at weekends and a couple of middling off road rides in the week (100 and 35 to 40) respectively. Sometimes more.

When I was shall we say, less attuned to longer rides (max would be in the 35 to 40 mile range), I would practically inhale food when I got home. Hide all edible material or else it will be immediately ingested sort of thing.

Nowadays I can quite readily eat when I get home (even after a long road ride) but there is no immediate panic to take calories on board and I’ll comfortably wait an hour or so before eating…and then only normal portions (pretty large by most people’s standards). If presented with a large plate of food on arrival at home I’d rather wait than eat it on the spot.

Is this an entirely normal phenomenon? Has this happened to other people? Before you ask, it has coincided with weight loss (gradual) even though I eat well above the average number of calories in the course of a day.

richpips
    Free Member

Iirc the optimum time to take on food after exercise is straight away so that the calories you consume are used in refuelling, rather than using your body’s stores, which may account for some of your weight loss.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be more inclined to take in a protien shake within 30mins post ride, leave food out for another 2-3 hours and then eat a healthy meal.

No snacks, try not to eat unless it’s mealtime.

HTH

d45yth
    Free Member

Are you hydrating better than you used to? If so, maybe you feel less hungry due to that?

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I’m assuming that your calorific intake on these rides has not changed.

Could it be increased metabolic efficiency brought about by the longer steadier rides? Meaning you’re burning more fat than you used to.

I noticed when I started road riding that my on bike I ate less and less on the bike.

slowjo
    Free Member

Hydration is better. Long rides are up to 4 litres.

Still eating gels/bars and scones (at the obligatory roadie coffee stop)

I have a very good diet, lots of all the right stuff (fruit, veg, fresh fish, meat etc) and practically no junk – I can’t tolerate fats or sugar which helps. According to my wife, I am looking like a scarecrow but the thing is, I am getting stronger and stronger as every week goes by, though I consciously have to eat more during the day to keep the weight on.

I’ll look like Chris Froome soon! 😯

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Post Ride Appetite’ is closed to new replies.