Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Post mount/ IS mount – Avid Elixir R
  • nedrapier

This is advertised at IS mount, but it looks as if the adapter makes it IS mount, at it's post mount without.

Am I fooling myself?

And are they any good?

Ta!

fbk
    Free Member

They tend to come with adapters to fit both post and IS mount as standard (180 front, 160 rear I think).

And yes, as brakes, they rock 🙂

nedrapier

Cool, ta.

Nice to know they work well as brakes. Is there anything else they're good at? 😉

nedrapier

Just found the other Elixir R thread you posted on. They sound pretty good. And my gf has just bought the Avid bleed kit for her juicy 3s. Bonus.

I may take Messrs. Chain, Reaction & Cycles up on their offer.

fbk
    Free Member

Yeah – do it. I've been really impressed with my CRs – more powerful than my (2 year old) mono minis and a better "feel" than the formulas on my HT.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have a look at the Elixir 5s on merlin £135 or therabouts and in white for extra pimpyness I think they only loose the reach adjust over the r. But I guess that you can still adjust it with tools.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-disc-brakes/avid-disc-brakes/avid-elixir-5-disc-brakes-f-r-set.html

nedrapier

Cheers fbk. I'd been thinking about the formulas and the mono mini's too. useful comparison.

hmmm. I saw the 5s , but white just won't go with the rest of the bike!

Plus I'm only in the market for a front brake becuse I've got new forks and they don't have v bosses.

No disc mount on the back til I get one mounted along with a respray, and that's a while away. still umming and ahhing about getting a set now for as and when that happens, though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I think the internals of the 5's are also different, not just the lack of reach adjustment.

nedrapier

fbk, are they noisy?

I like a nice quiet bike ride, and I've heard different opinions on these.

What's your experience?

Pauly

I have a set of CR Mags and love them. Taken off a set of the new XT's with 180/160 rotors and gone to 160/140; muche more powerful and better modulation, not to mention significantly lighter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Post mount/ IS mount – Avid Elixir R’ is closed to new replies.