Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Post MOT of Doom. Only a Land Roverist would be crazy enough to take this on…
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

While it’s not as extreme as Stoner’s complete rebuild due to a recalcitrant hinge screw, the MOT of doom revealed a few rust holes in the near side sill and a body mount.

The mount is a part of the inner sill and is almost impossible to get at, so I bought new inner and outer sills, a spot weld drill and a box of grinding discs.

I’ve had a couple of afternoons cutting out and replacing the rust. One more afternoon should see it done.

With the first snow fall today, its a timely repair.

Flat bar brace to hold the door post in place while I cut out the sills.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see no MOG in the background 😡

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I see no MOG in the background

I missed out on it Al, to a Yorkshireman.

I’ve been reading up on them and I think for all the mileage I do, it could just be viable. No road tax, limited classic insurance, no depreciation would go a long way to offset the fuel consumption.

matt_outandabout

😉 Once again I read a mcmoonter thread and feel somewhat less manly than I did before.. .

cynic-al
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    I’ve been reading up on them and I think for all the mileage I do, it could just be viable. No road tax, limited classic insurance, no depreciation would go a long way to offset the fuel consumption

Heart vs. head right there 😉

iolo
    Free Member

That’s a lot of work.
    Why didn’t you just but another Disco?

mt
    Free Member

Stop McM, do enjoy mocking our lack skills?

Nice job but your welding needs a little practice, are you confident it will hold. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s a lot of work.

It’s got a good engine and an unwelded chassis. It’s well worth repairing.

Nice job but your welding needs a little practice, are you confident it will hold.

The wire feed on my welder is playing up a bit, but the welds have good penetration. Its not pretty but it will be strong.

mark90
    Free Member

They are all like that, or worse 🙂

ononeorange

Every mcmoonter thread is great value!

Stoner
    Free Member

Love it. Really wish I had a welder.
    Reminds me I have some update pics to put up soon.
    Will take a a few more in daylight this weekend.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m always up for a random challenge. The worst that could happen is I might learn something new.

Stoner, do you have the bulkhead back and on the chassis yet? Once you have that done and wired up you should be on a roll. Looking forward to the update.

geoffj

Has it not been windy in Fife? Should be a tree dismantling / chopping up thread 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

Bulkhead back, one cill had to be left behind, but I can crack on with rebuild.

cvilla

Windy, old trees, must be due a photo of a tree at 45 deg and the disco back on the road just in time….;)

piemonster

I missed out on it Al, to a Yorkshireman.

I’m trying to imagine a Scotsman and a Yorkshireman in a bidding war.

Do they still do half penny’s?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Geoff, nothing but twigs were shed here today sadly.

Piemonster, he paid the full asking price, I was going for a lower bid. 😀

timber

I missed out on when they ran a ‘mog at work.
    Bottom of the box and all reductions it was hard to tell if it was moving. At the top end it would get back to the yard quicker than the old Land Rover (Daihatsu conversion). Self levelling cab so you didn’t fall out on steep slopes. They got rid of it because you had the maintenance of a car, lorry and tractor in one tangled package, nothing was easy or cheap. That older one you was somewhat simpler.

Northwind

mt – Member

Nice job but your welding needs a little practice, are you confident it will hold

They look in keeping with landy build quality tbh.

jwt
    Free Member

If the grinding discs are also to be used to clean up the weld, you could try using flap discs instead. IMHO they make a much cleaner job.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Well, I got it all back together. coated the repairs with red oxide primer, seam sealer and underseal. I waxoyled everything too so it should last a bit longer. I couldn’t be bothered with the expense of colour matching and spraying the repairs so I just used a rattle can of smooth Hammerite.

The door shuts are factory fresh. Retest on Monday.

It’s a working Land Rover, not pretty but functional.

Speshpaul

Nice work.
    today i have been mostly fiting a truely bootiful stainless steel tank in to my fathers 57 series one.
    lovely.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oh, I’d like to see some pictures of that. When I had my IIA my local garage had a Series One sitting outside that the owner had hoped to restore. I was tempted but some spares were hard to find back then. They really are no frills machines.

Speshpaul

My Jeep, Matthew’s with his lads in it and Dad’s “Modern*” 1957 88
    * modern= heater and electric windscreen wipers

we’ve got a 1948 80in lights behind the grille, 1949 lights throu, and a 1957 109in long wheel base pick up as well, the last two are still projects:-)

Those from the midlands can play guess the spot.

Ford or willys

With a little more gusto

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looks like a great day out.

The one I looked at had this type of dash and the bulkhead mounted sidelights. I cant remember the light/grille combination. Maybe lights through the grille. It had been used as a service truck for the garage.

Speshpaul

That would be a 80in, 1948-52. nice.
    the light behind the grille bit means one of the 1st few thousand, then they cut round holes through the grille so you could clean the headlights for a few more thou. then they went for the T shape.

I’ve only got crappy phone pics of the 80.

Day out was NYD ish last winter. planning this years route as we speak.

CountZero

Great pics, that ‘modern’ 88 looks odd, the rather narrow wheels always look as though they’re set too far inboard, so the body looks too wide for the chassis. Always thought that about the really old Landies.
    Love the Jeeps! No protection from the elements, there! 😆
    Oh, and nice job on the Disco, mcm. 😀

Speshpaul

Speshpaul

The tin tops makes them look top heavy, the new shed (above) means the landies are both indoors all year now, so the rag tops can stay on.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Loving the shed, with a nice workshop every maintenance job is a pleasure. I like the look of the hard top, but it would have to come off for summer. When I had my IIA I ran it for a couple of glorious days with the hard top off and the screen folded flat. Wind in the hair motoring that made everyone smile.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yay!

zokes
    Free Member

You really don’t drive it very far, do you?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You really don’t drive it very far, do you?

Those are mostly log liberating miles.

CountZero

😀

Trekster

May I hijack the thread and ask for some Range Rover advice please?
    Speaking to a friend earlier who has a T reg RR 2.5d auto which has started to cut out on idle after a longish journey, say 2hrs.
    Which RR/Landy forum would you recommend for getting some advice?
    RR dealer is 30mls away. His local garage along the road has had a look but fault did not occur during their time with the car.

Cheers

mcmoonter
    Free Member

P38 Range Rover. I thought about one as they seemed very cheap, I did a little background reading and they sound like a whole lt of trouble.

Try these two forums

http://www.landrovernet.com/

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/

Trekster

Cheers.
    Bought as a 2yr old with 12k on the clock and is still immaculate and looked after by its elderly owner. This is its first “major” issue.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Post MOT of Doom. Only a Land Roverist would be crazy enough to take this on…’ is closed to new replies.