Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Post-interview etiquette
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I had a job interview. I didn’t get it; not the end of the world, I’d kinda figured out from the interview that I wasn’t right for the post, so it’s not unreasonable that they thought the same.

I found out I hadn’t got the job via an automated email. No feedback, no invitation to request feedback, just a bog standard template.

Is this standard? I’d have thought having made it through to email a phone call or at least “proper” email would be the done thing.

Just curious really.

chrisdw
    Free Member

It’s often done like that these days IME.

Definitely ask for the feedback tho. No harm in doing that.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Pfff, you’re lucky you even got an automatic email. Last few jobs I’ve applied for I’ve heard NOTHING back, despite me doing a polite check with HR that my application was received. 😡

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was it because you were too needy?

tonyd

Very impersonal but it does seem things are moving more and more that way. It doesn’t take much to type an email or make a quick phone call, and it would leave a much better impression IMO. After all, who’s to say the right role for you wouldn’t come up at the same company at a later date?

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I’ll probably bug them for some feedback, it’s been a while since I’ve had an interview so it would likely be helpful. Meh, if that’s the way it’s going then that’s the way it’s going, I guess it’s less hassle for the interviewers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

convert

Feedback is a waste of time imo – it has to be ‘safe’ and will normally be generic – i.e. the least they can get away with saying and ensuring that there is zero possible comeback and nothing that can be challenged.

I would be amazed if you got any more than “we very much enjoyed meeting you but unfortunately this time other candidates had skills closer to what we were looking for. Please do feel free to apply for other roles we may advertise in the future”.

djglover
    Free Member

Any large company will have a standard applicant rejection process and you will never get any useful feedback from the recruiting manager because of the issues mentioned above.
    If you got to the interview stage and had the right experience and qualifications, then they either didn’t like you or were questioning your commitment, or both.

stever
    Free Member

I look forward to the economy recovering enough that employers can’t afford to treat people badly. Judging by the number of job descriptions I’m getting from lazy agencies for daft jobs I’m not even slightly qualified for, the market’s heading that way. Then the shoe’ll be on the other foot…

njee20
    Free Member

Then the shoe’ll be on the other foot…

Mmmm no it won’t.

stick_man

Seems rather discourteous not to even bother writing a proper email when someone has taken time and effort to attend an interview. Not too surprised though as work is becoming more and more impersonal.

On feedback I agree with Convert that you should take any feedback with a pinch of salt.

freeagent
    Free Member

My wife recently applied for an Education post in a world famous childrens hospital in London.
    Initial application – got invited for an open day – interview at open day – was asked to fill out full (46 page) application form – submitted form then nothing.
    A few days later she phoned them to ask if they’d received the application, only to be told that she wasn’t what they were looking for.

If you are going to p*ss people around to this extent, the least you can do is call/email them to tell them they were unsuccessful.

Very poor show.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Depressingly common these days. You should feel lucky you at least got an automated rejection.
    I feel a bit shocked at having just typed that, but that’s how it is these days. It sucks, I know.
    But one thing – if you have the contact to the person that interviewed you, you could drop them a brief “thanks for your time” email. They might have other roles in the near future which fit you better? Always try to leave the door open…

binners

Torch their offices

Dobbo

I’d employ that petrol bomber, he’s really giving it his all and showing plenty of gusto, well done him.

chewkw
    Free Member

If they don’t want you they don’t want you.

Feedback is just shite and rather pointless as they can come up with so many reasons you might as well us your energy to apply for other jobs instead. It’s a probability game.

binners

I think the youth of today are very unfairly maligned too Dobbo. There’s no way you can question the lads commitment.

If the OP was displaying the same sort of ‘can do’ attitude, we’d already be getting reports on the news of 34 fire engines being despatched to a raging inferno 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Post-interview etiquette’ is closed to new replies.