• This topic has 60 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Post a pic of your 'favourite' bike and the story behind it
  • kiwijohn

I still have a DMR Switchback, almost exactly the same as the OP’s, though I think it rode better when I swapped the 125mm Vanilla for 140mm Pike.
    Anyway, here is my 95 DBR Axis TT. Ex world cup racer, though I’m not sure who raced it.
    I gave it a frame up rebuild in 07 while I could still get a good v brake fork.
    This old girl is still stupidly fast. I don’t know how it pulled me through sometimes. Busting a spoke on a Crossmax SL is an expensive mistake.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Tough call but I’d say my Cove Stiffee c.2001 (this photo was 2003).

I wouldn’t say it was the “best” bike I ever owned but lots of good memories associated with it. First bike I ever bought entirely with my own money rather than being presents from my parents as a kid, first bike I built up from scratch rather than off the peg. Till that point I’d still been desperately hanging on to the idea that I could be slightly better than average XC racer, which wasn’t particularly conducive to the student lifestyle I had at the time. This bike got me back into just riding for fun, which then led on to some DH and Enduro racing in the future, all of which were much easier to do with my love of beer!
    Best of all it was bought so that I had something more appropriate for a year studying in Vancouver than my previous XC race machine, so it reminds me of a year hanging out in Vancouver, riding the trails and riding out to Deep Cove and Cove bike shop to take my bike back to it’s “birth” place.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Some lovely bikes on here, mine would be my Orange P7 circa 2004. Lovely bike with awesome adventures.

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/teadrinker1977/media/p72_zpsulrqkqdf.jpg.html][/URL]

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chromag Samurai.

I built this bike just when my riding was suddenly really coming on, and I did a 2 week holiday with BasqueMTB and then a long week’s riding at Alpe d’Huez on it, with a year of hacking around Bristol and South Wales in between.

🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Where about’s is that pic taken Tazzy? Looks awesome.

eshershore
    Free Member

back in 1994, no one built the bike I wanted to race downhill, so I started a company and built it ourselves 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My 1991 Kona Lava Dome.
    Loved this bike, it was fantastic..
    It was my second mountain bike, after a Dawes Tracker, and they where poles apart.
    Spent many happy hours on the North York Moors on it.
    Sadly it was stolen out of the garage after I joined up..

Not mine, but it was this.

njee20
    Free Member

My 2007 S-Works Epic, I was quick then and I won things on it. Never missed a beat!

loddrik
    Free Member

No story behind it. I just love riding it and the fact it can come anywhere with me. Just off out on it now…

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve got a lava dome like that in the loft!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If I can have two, then more recently it’s this..
    My Salsa Vaya.
    The first bike I’ve ever ridden and thought, yeah, this just ‘works’.
    On road, or Gravelgrinding™ as the cool kids call it, it’s just, well, ace.
    Yup.
    This ones a keeper.

cokie

I’m loving the number of bikes in here that are deemed dead by the MTB industry.
    Lots of wrong wheelsizes, steerers, gearing, brakes, forks and just about everything else too.

It proves that not having the newest standard doesn’t effect how enjoyable riding can be. They’re all much of a muchness 😆 !

njee20
    Free Member

Yes and no. I’d not want my 2007 Epic back I don’t think, it was just my favourite bike in terms of memories and what not.

I think my current bike is ‘better’, but not my favourite.

tazzymtb

teadrinker – its at the top of macc forest loop in the peak district. Lovely little single speed loop with a joyous wake up climb up past the leather smithy pub to dimples farm.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s strange, I don’t really have a best ever bike feeling. I have had some good bikes and some bad bikes I suppose my BFe is the most fun and versatile bike I have ever had.

My current FS bike is the most capable all round bike that I have owned and is pretty fast. I have even reached the point where I feel I don’t need to upgrade it any further as I don’t think it will ride any better.

Alex

Yes and no. I’d not want my 2007 Epic back I don’t think, it was just my favourite bike in terms of memories and what not.

I think my current bike is ‘better’, but not my favourite.

That’s the essence of it for me as well. I know if I tried to ride my Switchback the way I ride my Aeris, I’d have lots of accidents. That’s not the point tho – riding that bike was when I realised how amazing MTBing is. And as such will always be my favourite. I think I said it before, it should be called DMR ‘gateway drug’ 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    teadrinker – its at the top of macc forest loop in the peak district. Lovely little single speed loop with a joyous wake up climb up past the leather smithy pub to dimples farm.

Thanks Tazzy – one of those pictures that makes me just want to ride 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve thought about this quite a lot and come to the conclusion that my favourite bike is usually the one I’m riding at that moment!

BillOddie

1st Gen Dialled Prince Albert
    Pictured here at a Rifugio somewhere high above Lake Garda.

It was a bit heavy, it was a bit small for me in retrospect and it was a bit steep by current standards. Subsequent bikes have probably been a bit “better” but I don’t care.

I bloody loved that bike. It took me on some big adventures. Crossing Wales in 2 days, Canada including a Chilcotin Float Plane drop and any number of really big rides round the pointy and steep bits of Europe during a year off from “normal life” pre-kids.
    It was my go to bike for just riding round the local singletrack in the woods.

17.5in Frame, 130mm Marzocchi Z1 FR SL forks, Short (for the time) 60mm stem, Saint/XT brakes and Maxxis Minion tyres. The rest of the spec was from the shelf marked “Sturdy but not light”.

It rode like a old Kona Hardtail on steroids.

I still have the (cracked – :sob:) frame hanging in my garage.
    I dropped the frame that replaced it off at the tip this weekend (also cracked) and didn’t think twice. No way would I ever do that to the PA.

BadlyWiredDog

Probably my original, first generation Marin Rocky Ridge with the funny tribal tattoo graphics. One of the first big brand longish travel hardtails – the Stiffee pre-dated it I guess – rode it everywhere including the Alpujaras. Liked it so much that after cracking the frame I got it copied in ti by Setavento. That frame’s still going as a rigid 69er singlespeed with an outboard eccentric bottom bracket, but its real replacement is a Ragley Ti.

I’ve liked all my bikes though, bar the Klen Palamino which was a mistake on several levels. If I had to keep just one, the Ragley Ti would be it, but the Rocky Ridge was the start of the line that led to it. I’ll try and dig a pic out later.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine is my 2003 Rocky Mountain Element.
    >>Also one of my favourite bikes I’ve ever owned.

I had a 1999 Instinct. Similar bike, but for the components. Fab thing.

Can’t beat my just retired 2006 Yeti 575 though. 9 years down the line and never yearned for another bike until the main pivot wore out.
    Bought on eBay from a US seller – back when you could see who won stuff, I contacted 3 or 4 international customers of the seller and made sure they were all happy with the service before I bought it.
    Took ages to arrive and he sent the wheels separate – they got “lost” in customs and turned up 2 weeks after the rest of the bike. Caused a big hit on custom charges too.
    It’s been worth every penny. Been raced XC and Enduro (both badly, of course!), crossed the Alps from Switzerland to Germany, little local rides, far away big rides – perfect bike for all of it.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Post a pic of your 'favourite' bike and the story behind it’ is closed to new replies.