Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Possibly the most boring question evvvaaa. Keyboards.
  • growinglad
    Free Member

I need a new keyboard, spend all day at the thing so want something good.

I can touch type and currently use an ergonomic one.

Before I get an the usual replacement Microsoft one, are there any others to consider?

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

No input i’m afraid, but i aint going to disagree with you on the boring statement! 😉

jwr

It’s quite a personal choice, but I’m a fan of the Cherry G80-3000MX if I’m using a Windows machine. Nice and clicky.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Have a look here.. http://www.keyboardco.com
    They do all sorts of very good quality (mostly mechanical) keyboards, Filco and Topre are generally considered to be exceptional quality. Be sure and read up on the various different keyswitch types to get one that suits your usage.

They also have various ergo keyboards if you want to stick with that type.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’ve got a Logitech K800 I’ve not had it long, but it’s probably the best keyboard I’ve had.

IA

Totally depends on you!

Do you like (or need) the ergonomic shape?

Do you like short or long throw keys?

Clicky or not clicky?

Personally… I like short throw keys and a flattish keyboard. So I’d say something like this or similar:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/9869

everyone
    Free Member

Loving my Filco with blues. Definitely not suitable for the office though.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Got a Filco with browns myself, most of the advantages of the blues in the tactile sense but without needing ear defenders.!! 😆

oldnpastit

Filco brown here for using at home. And a blue at work, both from keyboardco (see the link above).

The blue is quite noisy. I think on balance I slightly prefer the brown. But they both feel much nicer than the horrid chiclet piece of junk the company bought for me to use which was unusable (but probably cost about 1/20th of the price).

Definitely not suitable for the office though.

Everyone else knows when I’m working 🙂

EDIT: I also had one of the Cherry black Filco’s for a while (non-tactile), but it was much harder to type with for some reason. Fortunately, I didn’t have to pay for it.

cranberry
    Free Member

There can be only one!

err, sorry:

An IBM PS2 Keyboard

Forged from something quite indestructible, by strange people from a far off land and totally incapable of wearing out.

My work keyboard was cast in 1994 and is just nicely worn in.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’d always used Microsoft keyboards and was happy with them until I tried a Logitech K800 which is really good. Those that have used it always comment on how nice it is too.

growinglad
    Free Member

but i aint going to disagree with you on the boring statement

But it looks like I’m not alone 🙂

Thanks for the input all, I never even realised that there were such things as mechanical and non mechanical keyboards….

….really quite interesting 😉

debaser

Get one of these and test your touch typing skills.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

It’s mechanical and there is also one with the keys marked too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Mechanical is all well and good until the point where you or someone else introduces it to a ball peen hammer from the noise it generates.

oldnpastit

The Cherry-brown switches are quite subdued.

Cougar

An IBM PS2 Keyboard

Aye. The IBM Model M is the holy grail of keyboards, and has the added advantage of stopping anyone from walking off with your desk due to the weight.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Possibly the most boring question evvvaaa. Keyboards.’ is closed to new replies.