Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • possibly looking for a new mountain bike. which?
  • ton

possibly looking to buy a new mtb. 1st one in over 3 years. i have a couple of criteria i want to meet with it.

firstly, a lightweight bike that is good uphill is not a necessity, uphills will either be spun in granny gear or walked up.

secondly, a bike that is fun on contouring rolling terrain.

thirdly, a bike that is fun for out of control downhills with a crap pilot onboard, and possibly in the future will be ok for a odd enduro event.

lastly, it must be a 29r, cos i suit one more that most, and i look a complete tool perched on a 26” wheeled bike.

justatheory
    Free Member

Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29 and Trek Remedy 29 both fit your criteria.

banks
    Free Member

On one codeine/transition covert 29er

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sounds like the perfect description of Orange Five riding to me.. but then again 29 inch wheels – really ton??? Would 650b do? … Or a Gyro then?

slowjo
    Free Member

Isn’t there a Singular that fits the bill? It is a sort of Swift on steroids.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is this an “any budget” question?

ton

no budget.

oh and nothing from orange. 27.5 looks quite intersting tho.
    trek remedy looks good in both wheel sizes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Transition Bandit?

geoffj

Ventana innit 😉

tomhoward

2014 Lapierre Zesty. 29er 120mm or 27.5 150mm, alu or carbon.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

santa cruz tallboy

ton

looked at most of these, and apart from the ventana (which i have had in the past) well, they all look a bit noodly and xc.
    i want something a bit more robust.

NormalMan

I’d have to second the vote on the Stumpy Evo 29er

messiah
    Free Member

There are very few “what bike” questions to which the answer is not a Nicolai of some description… to this question the answer is a Nicolai Ion 15,
    or Helius AC 29er

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okay then… *slight hijack* what Nicolai for a self-confessed XC mincer (with a bit of a carbon fetish), for whom 26er 125mmm travel both ends and 68deg head angle seem just about bang on?

(Or would that be a Yeti ASR5c? 😉 )

banks
    Free Member

looked at most of these, and apart from the ventana (which i have had in the past) well, they all look a bit noodly and xc.
    i want something a bit more robust.

Gotta be a 29er covert or a codeine then..

Sancho
    Free Member

Tony if you wanted to try out a covert 29 or process 29 then pop over some time the new lads in the shop are your size and have some good experience on riding big bikes 🙂

honourablegeorge

no_eyed_deer – Member
    Okay then… *slight hijack* what Nicolai for a self-confessed XC mincer (with a bit of a carbon fetish), for whom 26er 125mmm travel both ends and 68deg head angle seem just about bang on?

(Or would that be a Yeti ASR5c? )

Helius TB with carbon headset spacers.

messiah
    Free Member

Helius TB with carbon headset spacers.

Put the carbon where it works best 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

How strong/reliable do you want?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Whyte 129 ??

gwj72
    Free Member

I’m in similar boat, probably getting a giant trance 27.5 as soon as wrist allows me to ride again. 4 or a 3 model, 4 seems great value and dependable.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.trance.27.5.4/15002/66616/#specifications

justatheory
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okayeee…. so that Nicolai Helius is basically an ASR5 that you could quite literally throw off the north face of Ben Nevis – if you wanted to – and it would simply sit at the bottom of the cliff face with a shrug of the shoulders, shaking its head and wondering when you were going to catch up… 😀

justatheory
    Free Member

Yeti SB-95 maybe? Or Commencal Meta 29 – they have some discounted on their website.

honourablegeorge

no_eyed_deer – Member
    Okayeee…. so that Nicolai Helius is basically an ASR5 that you could quite literally throw off the north face of Ben Nevis – if you wanted to – and it would simply sit at the bottom of the cliff face with a shrug of the shoulders, shaking its head and wondering when you were going to catch up…

One flaw – they’ve 650’d it for 2014. Can probably still get a 26″ one custom though

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anthem 29er?

Sorry missed the DH/enduro bit

trance?

llama

stumpy 29er: very good, surprisingly so
    tallboy lt: very good but also expensive, and in 2013, top tube too short for me
    whyte t129: not steamrollery enough for me
    horsethief: good if you don’t mind the loooong stays (I didn’t + this is the pre split pivot I’m talking about, not ridden the new one)

thats what I rode before buying a horsethief

your description sounds like how I imagine a 5 29er rides, but not ridden one, so I’ll shut up

6079smithw
    Free Member

Scott Genius 930

roverpig

For me, the only bike that would tick all those boxes would be a Five 29, but that’s because the Five is the only bike I’ve ever enjoyed being out of control on and I dare say the 29er version is similar.

But, since you’ve got a no-Orange rule I’d have to settle for a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29. You’ll get the aesthetic advantages that you are looking for from the bigger wheel and it’s almost as good as the 26″ original.

jaylaz73

I just got a new Five, its the fastest, most fun bike I’ve ridden yet and I’m riding it, not fixing it! 😀

plyphon
    Free Member

The new Canyon’s look r8 nice

ton

thanks for all the idea’s fella’s
    some of these I had not even thought about, and a couple I did not know made 29” wheeled bike.

things have come a long way in the last few years…. 8)

ajantom

Left-field suggestion, but as you’re quite a large/tall chap what about a Surly Krampus?
    I’ve fitted sus forks to mine and it’s great.

ton

ajantom, can I ask you what forks you fitted.

frogstomp

+1 for the Salsa Horsethief.. feels very solid and planted on the downs with 140mm 34s. Will be upgrading my frame to the DW-Link version if I see a bargain…

ajantom

ajantom, can I ask you what forks you fitted.

Some Maverick DUC32s, with a bit of tinkering.
    Also SC32s would fit, and if you look on MTBR a fair few people have fitted Fox and White Brothers 29er forks (though clearance is a bit tight) and Lefties with adapted clamps.
    Also these guys – RSD Bikes – are releasing there own 29+ frames, wheels and suspension forks.
    It is honestly the funnest bike I’ve ridden in years, before and after the addition of the forks.
    I know Charlie the Bikemonger rates his highly and he’s quite a tall lad. Think he’s on a large or X-large. I’m 6ft and happy on a medium.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Santa cruz tallboy Long travel in carbon if you want to splash a bit more cash

Sam

Singular Buzzard is what you want Ton – you’d qualify for the multiple customer loyalty programme 😉

balfour257
    Free Member

orange five 29er has to be the way to go. super fun on the Dh’s

http://bigwheelshralping.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/orange-five-29er-the-review/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘possibly looking for a new mountain bike. which?’ is closed to new replies.