Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Possibly got myself in trouble in work – any advice?
  • enfht
    Free Member

OK, I’m in IT and a work collegue cc’d me in on an email explaining to a user (very politley) why their PC had died (it was switched off). I then replied to my collegue and speculated whether the user remembers to turn their car ignition on when they use their car. Problem being my collegue was logged into this person’s PC, this person then saw the email I sent to my collegue, and has replied “I find that comment quite offensive”, and I have a hunch the user will take this further. It’s clear the user shouldnt have been reading other people’s email but whats not clear is if I’m in the wrong? I know there are similarities with the Carol Thatcher saga, but I wasn’t talking about about gollies after all, and I feel this was just normal IT banter between two IT workers…any opinions, should I appologise or if challanged should I stick to my guns and tell them to stop reading other people’s email?

grumm
    Free Member

Racist.

snakebite
    Free Member

delete and deny….easy

theflatboy
    Free Member

if i were you i wouldn’t worry about it until you know if it was taken any further, then just say as and when that it was meant as a joke, no offence intended and apologise. not really much more you can do.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d love to hear the outcome of that in a disciplinary – no case to answer in my opinion.

enfht
    Free Member

I have thought about deleting all trace but I cant tell who else actually saw the email as the user is 200 miles away.

andym
    Free Member

What theflatboy said except do it now and don’t wait for it to escalate.

I know there are similarities with the Carol Thatcher saga

Indeed, moral of the Thatcher story is if you act like an @rse things will get worse.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If that was the only piss taking that took place when they couldn’t even turn their computer on then I think they got off lightly.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmmm, you’re not trolling now are you? This is not even “similar” to the CT episode. But, if it’s true, then hell, we’ve all been there…just make your apology and move on. I wouldn’t expect to get into trouble for this but you might be asked to apologise for it. Little mickey-pulling things like this always look worse when they’re written down.

muggomagic

If you’d said the person was a **** retard and i bet they forget to switch the ignition on the car, then you may have a case to answer.

As you most probably didn’t then you’re ok. All that’s happened is you sound and feel like a tit.

clubber
    Free Member

They’d have a hard job giving you anything more than a verbal warning if that. If I was you, I’d swallow my pride, apologise to the person and leave it at that.

enfht
    Free Member

Me, a troll, NEVER, (trip trap trip trap)

No honestly I’m not, good advice cheers, I’ve appoligsed

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Don’t delete all trace; they could have a screenshot which would make you look very silly.

Sandwich

BOFH time, erase the logs. Falsify evidence to show the user offended you and has goat p*rn on the PC. Then duct tape, a roll of carpet and a tape safe are required, Use of PFY optional. Report back when done. 😀

If that’s all you said, just forget about it. I’ve never heard of wit/sarcasm being a sackable offence.

If the person escalates it, they will probably look like a pillock for making such a big issue of something so trivial.

enfht
    Free Member

yeah cheers Sandwich, someone from Personel walked up behind me just as I was looking for Goat Po*n on my PC, now I’m fu**ed !

hora
    Free Member

As Mike says.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

In fact their ability to do their job will probably be called into question as they wasted company resources calling out support for a PC they hadn’t turned on.

In fact you will be thanked for bringing this to the attention of the management, given promotion & a pay rise.

If they do take it further, then they are going to look a right pillock for raising the call in the first place

enfht
    Free Member

piedi you’ve obviously never worked for a firm like this!!

uplink
    Free Member

In our Ts & Cs one of the examples of gross misconduct is ‘rudeness to or derogatory remarks about clients’

tree-magnet
    Free Member

mysterymurdoch
    Don’t delete all trace; they could have a screenshot which would make you look very silly.

If they thought their computer was busted when it was off, I’m not sure they’ll know how to take a screen shot.

enfht
    Free Member

update, user has replied to my apology with a bit of a snooty BS. Wish I hadn’t apologised now! Oh well, I think I’ve done all I can FFS!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Offer to make up for it by showing them how the cup holder works… 😀

willard

Hold on… I’ll get you a number for a bulk quicklime dealer.

Seriously, if someone gets that “offended”, then they are probably not worth worrying about. Just wait and see what happens and then say sorry if required. Not before. They are just upset that you found out they were a muppet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wee in his/her/its shoes and run

vadar
    Free Member

Humble pie anyone !!!!

Move along,, nothing to see

sofatester
    Free Member

Why not download a file deleting virus onto their computer?

Lesson learned; never apologise for a wisecrack. If they can’t see the funny side it’s there loss.

swoosh
    Free Member

you said they replied to the email you sent to your colleague, well how did they reply? With their email or your colleagues? If they used your colleagues, i think that’s slightly worse than what you have done. If they used their own email account to reply and they take it further, you could have them done for reading your colleagues emails. privacy act and all that!

AdamW
    Free Member

Not to wind you up but…

My partner replied to a mail from a colleague in which he stated some external contractors sometimes act like cowboys. The so-called-colleague forwarded this mail (with a throw-away line in it, not the main thrust of the mail or owt) to the third party who then got in a huff.

The short of it was a disciplinary followed by a written warning (nothing happened to the colleague who sent the mail externally, of course). Then, lo and behold, shortly after this there was an email to all staff to discuss redundancies. “Oh look AdamW’s better half, you have a black mark here due to a disciplinary. Don’t slam the door on the way out, and it is statutory redundancy.”

Yes, he shouldn’t have written what was a throwaway line to someone he thought was a colleague. Now he’s scared stiff that he won’t get another job because of the disciplinary that happened beforehand….

BUT

I think you’ll be all-right. If it is internal type stuff it would, at the most be a word in your ear.

Nick

Someone deleted my e-mail account so on the incident management system I said “some idiot has deleted my e-mail account’, the 17 year old 1st line agent got upset so I had to apologise.

I then sacked someone for sending a mysoginistic and totally unacceptable picture/joke about wife beating to dozens of people via the corporate lan.

Moral – our terms and conditions are pretty clear on one and make no mention of the other.

duntstick
    Free Member

IT Nazis, the geeks shall inherit the Earth….. gotta love em,glad I don’t work in an office anymore.

Getta life boyz.

sofatester
    Free Member

If you can’t take a joke, don’t join up. Nothing wrong with a bit of wee removing to keep moral up.

Everyone just chill, look it’s snowing again! Anyone for a snowball fight? Or is that illegal now on H&S grounds?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Google the ‘I love you poo pic’, and send them that…

(I’m not even going to attempt putting up a link to that!)

Speshpaul

The IT Crowd
    The phones rings-
    “Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it on at the wall?”

andym
    Free Member

How long would it take you to send a short email saying ‘I’m sorry if my email caused you any offence’. All of ten seconds?

enfht
    Free Member

Its escalating, FFS! FYI the user really is a stupid stupid idiot, I could have been far more scathing, lucky I wasn’t 8O.

There is a case to answer why the user was reading and replying to someone else’s email.

Best form of defence is attack ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!

enfht
    Free Member

andym, I did, exact words were “No offence intended it was just a bit of (private) banter, but if you do feel that way then I honestly apologise”

geoffj

what andym said – and let your line manager know your version of events before someone else does.

enfht
    Free Member

They laid the the line manager off in May (small firm) let ’em do their worst the ****. I’m quite angry about this BS

grumm
    Free Member

Nick was it this one you sacked someone for or another one?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Possibly got myself in trouble in work – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.