Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Possibly daft question; Rock Shox dual air – can you use it to adjust travel..?
  • househusband

Looking at investing in a new fork, never had a 'dual air' fork from Rock Shox before – I've had Pike coil U-Turn before so know that it's simple a case of turning the U-Turn knob to adjust travel. Can the 'Dual Air' system be used to set the fork much lower in the travel so that, say, a 150mm fork would effectively be a 120 or 130mm fork?

TIA.

Stoner
    Free Member

only by "accident" and probably causing performance problems because youd be relying on tons of neg pulling down on little pos pressure to set the preload far down the stroke.

The dual air all-travel adjust lets you set the travel with spacers (have to open it up). Dual air itself is to set compression and preload characteristics.

househusband

Ta.

So I take it that a Dual Air system gives better overall performance than an Air U-Turn system – albeit without on the fly travel adjustment? Am bearing in mind that the 2010 RS forks I'm looking at also have the Black Box Motion Control…

Stoner
    Free Member

Wouldnt know about "better overall performance" as Ive never directly compared them.

I had a small problem with a rubber seal in the motion control (not black box) in my old forks, but a strip and a call to TFT for some guidance and I got them back in top order. I now have the black box unit in my new forks which is mainly metal as opposed to plastic parts. I cant tell if there's any real difference in performance, but it's certainly a better made valving unit.

Ive never had a problem that some people complain of of oil leaking into the lower legs. But Ive had various pairs open so many times now that I consider them easy to service and repair if I ever have a problem.

Northwind

You could just use a massive amount of sag… But that'll leave the airspring soft so it'll most likely bottom out. I suppose you could use low pressure for the sag, and then use the motion control "lockout" to give it a lot of compression damping… But that's all, generally, a stupid idea, the sort of thing you might do temporarily with an old fork but not something you'd plan to do.

But, not sure what the issue is as you can get dual air u-turn forks, best of all worlds.

househusband

But, not sure what the issue is as you can get dual air u-turn forks, best of all worlds.

Can you really..?! If you can, then please show me; all the forks I've seen on the RS website are either Air U-Turn or Dual Air – not Dual Air U-Turn..?

nuke

Air U-Turn and Dual-Air U-Turn are the same thing…they just don't call it Dual-Air U-Turn. Dual-Air is just having adjustable positive and negative air chambers.

Northwind

Househusband- both my Revelations are dual air u-turn. My Toras were solo, seemed to work fine but you lose the option of adjustability. I reckon most people probably equalise the positive and negative anyway but it's nice to have the option.

nuke

both my Revelations are dual air u-turn

Yes but RS call them Air U-Turn. You won't find an RS fork with 'Dual-Air U-turn' in the product name

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

You can some internal spacers to lower the travel (lowered my dual air pikes to about 120mm) but it's a full take appart job and obviously you're then stuck with a set amount of travel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Possibly daft question; Rock Shox dual air – can you use it to adjust travel..?’ is closed to new replies.