Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • (Possibly daft) question about SPD pedals…
  • DrP

I ride 95% of the time with SPDs:

My question is…what advantage do the ‘trail type’ SPDs (Below) offer – is the platform there so you have ‘grip’ if you haven’t clipped in properly, or does the foot/shoe rest on the platform when clipped in, thus altering the amount of ‘float’ you could have?

Anyone gone from standard to ‘trail type’ and felt it was a revelation?

At times I’ll unclip (foot out drifting way hey….!) and ‘not quite clip in right’, and wondered if these would offer a bigger area to plant my foot onto?

DrP

bigyinn
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll have any more float, but the trail pedals might give your foot a bit more support, possibly preventing hot spots?

rewski
    Free Member

Trail version as a bigger surface area for you foot to re-clip, if you do un-clip a fair amount quite useful, although I use standard xt’s with no probs.

FOG

Having used SPDs for the last 15 yrs I recently changed to 530 trail type. You do get more support and it is a little easier to rest your foot when not clipped in. I particularly find this useful in those ‘sh*t or bust’ moments trying to get going on a very steep climb when missing the clip in can mean painful nads on top tube interface.

richmtb

I switched from old XTR pedals to the DX SPD’s with the big plastic cage.

You do definitely have more of a platform to use when you aren’t clipped in. You also have more support for your foot when you are clipped in. So if you have spent all day battering down trails with the race style SPD’s you feet can start to feel a bit sore in the area above your cleats. With the trail style pedals the impacts are spread over a bigger area so I tend to find my feet get less sore.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘(Possibly daft) question about SPD pedals…’ is closed to new replies.