Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Possible/probable stripped/threaded mech hanger – steel frame … Advice needed.
  • letmetalktomark

Last night I was building up newly refinished steel frame.

Attaching the rear mech I foolishly presumed that the threads were a little gunked up as the mech took a little more effort than usual to fit 😳 🙄

I think it’s cross threaded 😥

That said the bolt is 98% through the hanger and seems okay.

Hanger isn’t replaceable.

Do I just leave alone for time being to remove, realise it is threaded/stripped and get a problem solver nut.

I’m kicking myself as this I’d the first balls up for a long time 😥

stu170
    Free Member

Best off taking it out and running a tap through it. Last thing you want is to deal with it when out riding

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

Best off taking it out and running a tap through it. Last thing you want is to deal with it when out riding

I’d tend to agree with this as I have had a rear hanger fail which resulted in a bent chain, bent rear mech, buckled wheel and damaged spokes. 😥 Just not worth it.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for thread tap.

duner
    Free Member

If tapping doesn’t work you can take the bolt out on some shimano shadow Mechs and use a chain ring bolt to hold mech on, works ok.

drofluf
    Free Member

Best off taking it out and running a tap through itconverting it to singlespeed.

FTFY 😀

flimsy
    Free Member

One of THESE?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s 98% through then I doubt it’s cross threaded as to do so would be incredibly difficult

Is it straight? That’s what matters. It will be well out if you cross threaded it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It is possible to drill out the thread and insert an, err, insert from the wheel side to replace the thread. I bought a used frame with one in and it worked perfectly. Dunno where you get the insert from though, but fitting it would be a piece of cake.

Best off taking it out and running a tap through itconverting it to singlespeed.
    FTFY

Hate to piss on your chips, but it’s a geared frame so it’ll need a tensioner…. And what do you screw that into eh? 😉

letmetalktomark

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I decided to remove the mech.

I thoroughly cleaned the threads.

A little stripped metal was present.

In lieu of a tap I gently worked a mech bolt in and out of the dropout using a little chain oil as lube.

Luckily everything seems okay now.

To my eye the mech is in straight and is tight up against the dropout.

Phew.

Will keep an eye on it but may have dodged a bullet.

Thanks again.

MarkLG
    Free Member

It is possible to drill out the thread and insert an, err, insert from the wheel side to replace the thread. I bought a used frame with one in and it worked perfectly. Dunno where you get the insert from though, but fitting it would be a piece of cake.

Google “Recoil Thread Inserts”

jekkyl

Why don’t some steel frames have replaceable mech hangers?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Possible/probable stripped/threaded mech hanger – steel frame … Advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.