Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Possible to Reduce Travel on a Rock Shox Reverb Seatpost?
  • shooterman

Just bought a new bike online. I’m on the borderline between two frame sizes. I went for the larger of the two (XL).

The Reverb fitted to the bike at 150mm is way too tall. I did discuss this with the retailer who thought the 150mm would be ok. The bike has arrived and the saddle height is just not going to work.

Is there any way to reduce the travel?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Do you mean when the post is inserted down as far as it can go the saddle height is too high? If so you can’t reduce the height of the reverb. Either get back in touch with the retailer to see if you can exchange or get it sold and buy a 125.

shooterman

Cheers. I have the post as far down into the seat tube as I can get it and the saddle is till way too high. Looks like a new seatpost!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Can you fit a saddle with a lower height, I had the same problem on my sons bike, but fitted a saddle that was 10mm lower then the one that was fitted.

daver27
    Free Member

just don’t extend it all the way up…. 😆

Beagleboy

I asked around about the same thing last year, with no luck, because I was in the exact same position Shooterman. My new XL Orange 4 came with a 150mm dropper. It was just sheer bloody luck that with the seatpost fitted as far in as it goes, the saddle height was perfect for me.

Hope you can get it sorted soon. Maybe someone on here will do swapsies?

C.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Looks like a new seatpost

That or cut the seatpost tube down or find a very flat saddle as surfbus says.

andyg1966

Online purchase so send the whole bike back under distance selling and buy the right size bike.

Actually buy the right size bike first and send the wrong one back later.

shooterman

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fairly bad oversizing so I don’t think flatter saddle rails will sort it.

I’ve gone from a 19.5″ frame with a 120mm dropper and 170mm crank arms to 20″ with a 150mm dropper and 175mm crank arms. Reach seems fine.

It’s a bit frustrating as I did discuss it with the retailer. I’m 6′ 2″ but most of my height is in my back.

kiksy
    Free Member

If the Reverb has the Connectamajig thing in the bottom, this can be removed to give another 25mm or so room in the frame.

hols2
    Free Member

You could restrict how far it extends by clamping a cable to the saddle rails and to the frame. The stainless wire used for hanging pictures would probably do and an engineering supply store should have a range of hardware that you could use to attach at each end.

If it’s brand new, though, I would see if the shop will exchange it for a shorter post.

submarined
    Free Member

If the Reverb has the Connectamajig thing in the bottom, this can be removed to give another 25mm or so room in the frame.

At the risk of sounding like a petulant pillock, that’s a good point, but only works if the limiting factor is the clearance at the bottom of the post. Unless I’m reading it wrong the OP’s issue is that even with the post in the frame up to the collar, the height is still to much, which unfortunately won’t be solved by that 🙁

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

shooterman,
    If it’s a 30.9 stealth reverb with a RH remote, then I’d be interested in taking it if you sell.
    New one will cost you £171 at the moment on CRC (with BC discount).
    email is in profile if that option appeals.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Shorter Cranks?

hols2
    Free Member

So how did you get on? Maybe in the future you might want to try sitting on the bike before you buy.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Might be worth looking at the 9point8 fall line or BikeYoke Revive which are both’shorter’ posts for the same amount of drop?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Possible to Reduce Travel on a Rock Shox Reverb Seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.