Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Possible to put a sram cassette together wrong?
  • marky29er
    Free Member

After fitting my hope expander yesterday I came to put all the individual cogs back onto the freehub & noticed that they could be fitted in different positions, I expected it to be keyed so they could only go on one way.
    It seems to affect the positioning of the teeth in relation to the cog above, ie in one position the teeth are in line, in another the tooth falls in the middle.
    The shifting feels slightly clunky on the workstand & I’m unsure if this could be the reason?

atlaz
    Free Member

Not unless your carrier is knackered.

marky29er
    Free Member

No its on a virtually new bike, commencal meta am1. Never had sram gear before, Im sure the shimano cassette I had last would only go on one way though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If it’s one of their casettes where most of the sprockets are loose then it is possible to put one or more of them on back to front so that the side with the ramps on is facing the wrong way.

marky29er
    Free Member

Yes all the sprockets are loose, apart from the 2 largest. They are not on the wrong way round, I didnt mix them up & the markings are all at the front. The can be fitted in 3 positions @ 120degrees apart. Still googling the problem.

GHill

There’s more than one small spline per sprocket?

marky29er
    Free Member

Seems they should only go on one way, I must have a rubbish freehub.
    Will have to disassemble again tonight to try to match up the splines manually.
    pink bike guide

bigyinn
    Free Member

You normally have a master spline in the freehub body which is wider than the rest and a corresponding wide spline on the sprockets. So you should only be able to fit the sprockets one way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Possible to put a sram cassette together wrong?’ is closed to new replies.