Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Possible to insure against snow?
  • dribbling
    Free Member

Is it possible to insure against severe weather making a journey impossible (i.e against the cost of the hotel booking)?

Cancellation policy of hotel isn’t sympathetic, which is understandable, but is anyone aware of any products that may fit this and cover if journey cannot be made? I’d assume that it would just be a general cancellation policy, rather than weather specific.

Ta, Rich

druidh
    Free Member

An annual travel insurance policy might work?

sandwicheater

Yeah, Travel Insurance will cover UK trip cancellation but conditions will apply ie need to have booked for 2-3 nights

legend
    Free Member

As sandwicheater says. Snow isn’t a reason to cancel though, cancelled flight/train?

andrewh
    Free Member

If you have hired the whole hotel, maybe a conference or something and your guests can’t make it you can can get event cancellation insurance.
    For a single room and you just can’t make it try normal travel insurance (t&cs apply)

dribbling
    Free Member

Forgot I posted this 🙄 That’s the thing, would a snow preventing making a car journey be covered, rather than more obvious and trackable public transport cancellation? Hmm, guess I’ll just ring up a few places.

Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

where is this hotel ? never had journey in the uk canceled because i couldnt get there cause of snow .

or are you in a bmw 😀

TexWade
    Free Member

Even if a claim were possible the excess may be an issue ?

jota180
    Free Member

Travel insurance will cover it, no problem
    You still have to mitigate the loss though ie if you can’t get somewhere today, you need to look at options of going later if possible rather than cancelling outright.
    Excess will generally be whatever you set it at when you take the policy out

dribbling
    Free Member

where is this hotel ?

300 away miles in Devon, so M1/M5 for me. It’s not the main roads that concern me, it’s actually getting out of my village which is most likely to prevent.

never had journey in the uk canceled because i couldnt get there cause of snow

Lucky. I’ve had to abort three I think; I was once the only car on the M6 heading to Glasgow in a total white-out; before camera phone or I’d have snapped a pic; it was eerily beautiful, but ultimately journey halting.

bmw

Hyundai!

oldbloke
    Free Member

never had journey in the uk canceled because i couldnt get there cause of snow .

Blair Atholl snow gates can be quite persuasive.

jota180
    Free Member

Plenty of blocked roads/closed gates much further South too – A66 etc.

dribbling
    Free Member

Cheers Jota; any recommendations for single trip?

jota180
    Free Member

Not really just go to the compare sites and get quotes and read the TCs etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There are other routes. And ive only ever seen them shut at night for anything more than a short period , they are pretty good at keeping it open.

poly
    Free Member

trial rat – 2 years ago the M8 was closed for more than 24 hrs! Although I agree that the most common ‘problem’ routes are actually well serviced, but if the OP is worried about Devon + 300 miles then he’s not in an area well prepared for significant snow fall.

Its the sort of thing travel insurance should cover (but the excess could be as much as the accom!). I’d expect that the police advising against non essential travel would be the proof you need it is not safe to go.

OP – if your main concern is ‘your village’ then common sense would suggest, when ‘important journey’ + ‘snow forecast’ move car to somewhere more accessible and walk to the can on day of journey.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes if i recall correctly though tht was more due to bad driving than actual depths of snow.

Bit like the first snow in aberdeen , always causes mass panic and crazy driving.

When the blair atholl gates close its usually cause the ploughs are stuck 🙂

petrieboy

Last time I looked, most travel policies covered cancellation of a scheduled service due to weather but few covered journeys in a private car – those that did were very expensive and required the roads to be closed for 24 hours.
    I dare say you’ll find someone to cover it, but don’t expect it to be cheap!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Possible to insure against snow?’ is closed to new replies.