Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Possible to build a decent hardtail for £1000 ??
  • renton
    Free Member

As title.

Would you either…..

A, buy a new hardtail like a whyte or Bird zero

B, build something up second hand around the same type of frame (Hardtail or 27.5 or 29)

Budget is £1000.

Cheers.

Steve.

weeksy

Buy a Parkwood or the Bird.

renton
    Free Member

Don’t like the parkwood as too short.

Birds are looking very nice.

dallas95
    Free Member

Depends what parts you already have. If you have better components than you get on a £1000 complete then I’d buy a frame and build from my parts. Which is what I just did. I had to buy a frame, headset and brakes. Total cost was £677. I had everything else.

If I had some parts but not all, then I would buy the complete and swap out my parts and sell the new components to part fund.

It’s a Bird Zero. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJz7Hpu4zs

renton
    Free Member

I have no spares now so would need to buy everything.

If I bought a new bike I won’t be on the position money wise to upgrade and time soon.

Looking at the Zero TR clearance bike as a full build.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is it just me, or are these Diamondback carbon hardtails decent for £875?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/diamondback-lumis-3-0-ht-mountain-bike-27-5-17

andy4d

As others said, if you don’t have spare bits it usually works out cheaper buying a complete builds, especially if there is a deal to be had.

iainc

Thought you were splitting the Stumpjumper ?

devash
    Free Member

There’s a couple of 2nd hand 650b Cotic Souls on eBay at the moment for around your budget.

renton
    Free Member

Just sold the stumpy. Got 960 for it.

superstu
    Free Member

Loads of great hardtails in that price range. Such as this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-4-2016-mountain-bike-EV264327

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODEEDARNX1/on-one-deedar-sram-nx1-mountain-bike

Bird zero is tremendous if a grand or under

jaylittle
    Free Member

I bought a Bird Zero TR a few months ago, could only afford the basic build but its been brilliant. The Deore brakes are better than the SLX brakes on my full susser. Will upgrade the sector forks eventually but they do the job.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers.

vondally
    Free Member

Just for the sake of it

Ritchey P 29 black and yellow 2016 tapered headtube, 19 inch steel lovely ness with few head set integrated
    DT Swiss 120 mm forks uncut steerer
    Hope tech wheelset with shimano hub new on, SRAM driver hub as a spare alternative. New nobby nics front and rear 2.35 and 2.25
    Above less than 200 miles
    New xt bb at Xmas
    Hope x2 freshly services at hope (45 per end service)
    Groupset 9 speed deore triple less than 200 miles with deore cassette, DT front mech, slx shifters and slx rear mech. Axonic seat post, fax FSA stem superstar handlebars and ergon grips

Would come with exotic carbon fork and hope adapters for QR for those cc days All for

£1135 posted

Just saying……

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Those Diamondback Myers look well specced for the money.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Some guy here, not far from you, is selling one of those lovely green/black Saracen Mantra Elite hardtails for a song! 650b, good fork, lightish, well looked after.

Great seller too 😉 honest as the day is long!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/saracen-mantra-elite-17-medium-frame-650b-hardtail-mtb/1209277350

renton
    Free Member

I’m down in oxford so he is miles from me. Lol

klunky
    Free Member

I’m selling a zealous division for under a grand on the for sale forum if your interested!

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’d go 2nd hand I think. Maybe buy a new handlebar and a couple of other bits new.that way you’ll get a better build, with a dropper and decent suspension.

jonnyboi

I built a 10kg cube carbon hardtail for £1k.

Bought decent spec yet discounted aluminium HT (Reba, XT drivetrain, Richley components). Size was irrelevant.

Bought discount cube reaction carbon frame from bike discount.de

Sold wheels and frame

Got set of stans mk3 wheels from superstar when they had a mega discount on.

Built up and she’s a beauty. Obviously you have to put the leg work in and I picked a compatible bike to swap over ( seat post, headset, direct mount mech, 142×12 rear axle) but it was quite a fun experience if you like that sort of thing.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Still looking at options.

funkmasterp

Just because others have. 😉

How about a nice Transition Trans am?

Trans AM

renton
    Free Member

As nice as that is its too small.

I need large/xl

whereisthurso
    Free Member

There’s a review of budget hardtails in mbuk this month that has a boardman in it that they reckon is 1k worth of bike for just over 600 quid. Looked like a good deal.

Northwind

I’m building an official XC Race Bike right now and it’s going to cost me way under £1000. It may or may not be any good, haven’t ridden it yet but it’s 22lbs even with my spare downhill wheels in it, that’s a good start. I’m shooting for 20-21lbs with a dropper post and it’s going to owe me about £700 (lots of used parts and things from my spares so costing them in at fair value)

But that’s been a lot of hassle. If I had a grand and I wanted a new bike I’d buy a voodoo bizango, stick a reverb and some nicer bits in it and call it good. There’s loads of other options though.

njd187
    Free Member

Never really took to my parkwood bought a zero AM and absolutely love it.Especially pointing downhill.

deviant
    Free Member

Dartmoor Hornet = <£200
    On One knuckleball carbon bars = £50
    Shimano Deore brakes = £80 the pair
    Superstar custom wheel build = £150 – £300
    Rockshox Pike = £400 (i’ve seen them cheaper mind)
    Deore cranks and running gear = <£100

Easily done and a nice bike at the end of it too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Possible to build a decent hardtail for £1000 ??’ is closed to new replies.