Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Possible new job in Wigan- any good riding to be had in area?
  • DenDennis
    Free Member

Good afternoon- as the title says, I may be getting a job in Wigan soon.
    Anyone on here live there or know the area?
    I would move to the area and wondering best part to be to be within easy distance of decent MTB riding? any suggestions? I'd hope to be able to bike commmute to work most days…
    From the maps I've looked at it seems not much to be had till you get a fair bit further north or south?
    cheers 🙂

wors

Hope you like pies.

Oh rivington is probably your closest place.

montylikesbeer

As above, rivvy and the west Pennine Moors as well as Rossendale, MT Loop and loads more

Junkyard
    Free Member

think of the Kebabs (it is a pie in a bun … I kid you not)
    Rivvy about 8 miles away and very good/acceptable for local riding. Good local scene of STW riders and others riding most days even in Winter… some do singlespeed mind but we still talk to them.
    Peaks about hour ish away
    Lakes and Wales all easy access.
    Overall pretty good but nothing truly spectacular like Wales or Lakes.
    E-mail me if you want proper route advice but some good downhills and excellent xc routes.

Lee Quarry about 45 mins away as is Grisdale
    Teeny weeny but good downhill course at Chorley

Some routes her – SFB thanks (not that I asked)

http://www.bogtrotters.org/maptest.php?place=rivington Boggies site

Bunnyhop

As above,
    Junkyard – I think you'll find that a Wigan kebab is 3 pies on a stick 🙂

robgarrioch

Not that far to sunny Gisburn Forest either..?

DenDennis
    Free Member

OK cheers thanks- will check out these and get in touch again if job comes off! 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Also…. People talk about Rivington and the like but Wigan is actually jam packed full of good riding. Because there's so much unused ex colliery land everywhere there's just thousands and thousands of little trails and footpaths and tracks. Haigh Hall is very underrated but if you know where to go you can easily spend quite a few hours doing lots of fast singletrack, some long, fast descents and there's even a bit of northshore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Possible new job in Wigan- any good riding to be had in area?’ is closed to new replies.