• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Possible madness / indulgence?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Is it crazy to have a spare set of wheels just to run mud tyres on so I don’t have to keep swapping over winter / between venues?

sefton
    Free Member

cx racing? if you want zero compromise then nope – 2 sets of mud tyres in mud conditions will be better than 1 set mud and 1 intermediate.

if clinchers – its expensive way to save 5mins swapping tyres. 🙂

you a dad again btw?

chakaping
    Free Member

Might make more sense to just get another bike just for muddy rides.

(I’m trying to help here)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sefton – nah cx’less at the moment, on the 29’er. Yeah no.2 is 8 months old. Can’t remember how I know you though 😕

sefton
    Free Member

sorry dude – thought you where another steve! haha

njee20
    Free Member

Unless you have identical hubs you’ll need to shim rotors, or adjust brakes each time. Then as you’ll likely be using one set far more the chain will wear, so you’ll potentially have to swap chains as well.

Too much faff IMO. I used to have race wheels and normal wheels, but ended up using my race wheels for virtually everything.

martinhutch

It will be more faff aligning your rotors and swapping chains for the new cassette than swapping over tyres.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gonna cost a fair chunk in Stans though if I do that

jam-bo

Mate of mine used to run two set of deemaxs for DH racing. Spikes on one, rollers on the other.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just buy 2 identical bikes, with different tyres 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Like button required

ac282

I tend to do this. No problem with brakes if you shim the rotors and as long as you keep on top of chain wear you can swap cassettes without any problems.

nuke

I do it…i run two sets of hope hoops: crest rims with xc tyres (racing ralphs) and flow rims with more trail/am tyres (hans dampf). The tyres on the Crests get swapped to mud tyres in winter. The right wheels/tyres for the ride make a big difference imo so worth it to me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Possible madness / indulgence?’ is closed to new replies.