• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mc.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Possible Enduro locations in Scotland
  • matesrace
    Free Member

Just for fun and to find out about possible new riding location where in scotland do you think would be capable of hosting an enduro. Avoiding any obvious locations that have already hosted races, where do you think has enough quality trails to host a decent race.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There hasn’t been one around Aviemore yet, has there?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Scolty/Hill of Gouach by Banchory Aberdeenshire

Northwind

I think we’ve mined the trailcentres/well known bike locations pretty well already but you don’t need bike trails at all- the dudes enduro being the perfect example. Any suitable concentration of interesting walkers’ paths, and access, and a town.

euain

Banchory/Scolty is a good call. There are plenty of trails in Aberdeenshire that would work well.

I hear rumours of some mates’ racing going on fairly soon at Echt – that could be expanded to work as a full-on enduro. Base at Raemoir house or something like that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dumyat/mine woods/kippenrait in the morning, scoot over to N3/Cambu in the afternoon.

Ideal for a ‘mates race’ not so for something bigger.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

So that all the enduro racers can ruin nice singletrack by taking a ‘racing line’ 😀

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Echt? Is that the old DH track on the Dunecht estate between Echt and Dunecht by any chance? Last time I rode it around this time last year it was in a pretty sorry and very overgrown state. Good shout with Scolty I’m still finding new stuff every time I head up there.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are a couple of descents round Torridon which would be achingly perfect as enduro stages.

The long run down to Annat from Lochan Eoin & the bottom section of the Ben Damph descent through the woods are two.

The Achnaschellach descent and the drop from back of Liathach to the car park are more like DH runs, but would provide a bit of contrast.

Never gonna happen though, and probably best that way.

matt_outandabout

I’m not sure I want to suggest some places and have 300 riders trash the joint….
    Having said that…
    Pitlochry
    Inveraray
    David Marshall Lodge

chakaping
    Free Member

On a more realistic tip – Mabie offers a great mix of fun, flowy trail centre descents and steeper off-piste pine-tree slalom sections.

Has there been one there already?

BoardinBob

Aberfoyle? Lot of good stuff being built there. Arran would be great

mc
    Free Member

The problem with finding new venues, is you need suitable trails where you can get landowners permission to use them, and infrastructure.

If you could guarantee dry weather, there are plenty places that could be used. However taking Aberfoyle as an example, some of those trails would simply be destroyed after a couple hundred riders in the wet, and even in the dry you’d have to make some tough track choices if you didn’t want to attempt to damage/scare too many riders.

Then you have infrastructure. Go somewhere where there’s no reasonably sized town nearby, then you’ve got accommodation problems. Not everybody wants to camp, or is willing to drive over an hour to get there each day. That’s before you take into the things like ambulance availability, or general supplies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Possible Enduro locations in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.