Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Possible crash for cash scam
  • project
    Free Member

Since the middle of last week have noticed what may be a crash for cash scam starting, both on the bike and in a van.Seen at least 5 in last week.
    Basicly youre driving along and indicate a left turn, car in front then swerves left,with no indication and then about 20 foot round the corner the car suddenly indicates and stops dead suddenly with the car behind almost hiting them, and strangely its been women drivers who are the ones not indicating and braking fast. In Liverpool at the weekend it was a bus that almost rear ended the car that stopped for no reason, thankfully there where no passengers standing or they would have ben thrown down the bus.

Just beware, it pushes up all our insurance premiums.

hora
    Free Member

Reported it?

aP
    Free Member

They really don’t want to do that in front of a bus, I don’t think I’d like 7.5 tons of bus + 50 people running up my arse. Don’t these morons also realise that almost all buses have 360 cctv coverage now?

Cougar

So… you’re driving too close to the car in front and then what happens next, sorry?

project
    Free Member

Massive crash for cash scam involving buses now on going at Manchester crown court.

How can you report non accidents,just near misses, like i said just be aware.

maccruiskeen

So… you’re driving too close to the car in front and then what happens next, sorry?

Its not a case of driving too close its the scammer trying to force errors, only minor ones, a little bump, but then claiming afterwards for whiplash injuries. In the case of the bus – theres no reason to assume the claim for whiplash would come from a passenger, there doesn’t need to be a collision just a sharp reaction from the driver – that the cctv will record – and someone can claim they took a tumble.

jam-bo

If you drive into the back of someone you were driving to close or not paying attention…

bearnecessities

^ aaand we’re off!

maccruiskeen

If you drive into the back of someone you were driving to close or not paying attention…

If you walk into me by accident your not paying attention. If i trip you up its not because you’re not paying attention its because I chose a moment where I could trip you up. Your moving, I’m stationary – is it your fault?

The point of the scam is the create an incident that is incontestably the fault of the person who is being scammed, or at least a fault that the scammed driver’s insurer won’t bother to contest But the incident is not an accident- the scammer is creating the situation where the driver behind is too close to be able to react.

bruneep

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTFlxI1RuE[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqXGtvI9MQ[/video]

Fitted dash cams to our cars to record anything

bigjim

my elderly parents have witnessed this, the crims are very, very good at delaying the court case too

butcher

Fitted dash cams to our cars to record anything

Both of the accidents in those videos could easily have been avoided. First by not tailgating. Second by paying attention!

Stupidly dangerous thing to do though.

Cougar

Its not a case of driving too close its the scammer trying to force errors, only minor ones, a little bump,

If you weren’t too close, how could there be a little bump?

It’s just not possible. You run into the car in front, you’re either too close or not paying enough attention, or both. It really is that simple, doesn’t matter if they fake a signal, stop on a corner, turn into an aardvark or spontaneously combust.

It’s easy to defend of course. The vast majority of people drive too close to the car in front, it’s “normal”. Stop doing that and this scam will go away.

bearnecessities

Cougar, you seem to be a nice guy but I’m noticing you making lots of contentious posts lately.

Am I being paranoid? It’s just ^that smacks of trolling. Unless of course you are driving perfection?

bruneep

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYwI6r3MTU[/video]

skip to 7:54 🙂

Am I being paranoid? It’s just ^that smacks of trolling

Oh oh banhammer coming your way for daring to question the mods

Davesport

If you weren’t too close, how could there be a little bump?

It’s just not possible. You run into the car in front, you’re either too close or not paying enough attention, or both. It really is that simple, doesn’t matter if they fake a signal, stop on a corner, turn into an aardvark or spontaneously combust.

I hope nobody ever brake tests you ! You’ll be needing a nice slice of humble pie to accompany your arrogance.

D.

jam-bo

I hope nobody ever brake tests you ! You’ll be needing a nice slice of humble pie to accompany your arrogance.
    D.

If you weren’t driving too close, why would they ‘brake test’ you?

Cougar

I’m noticing you making lots of contentious posts lately.

Only lately? (-:

I hope nobody ever brake tests you !

I leave plenty of space between me and the car in front. So, I invite it, brake-test me.

Cougar

Oh oh banhammer coming your way for daring to question the mods

Yeah, cos that always happens… oh, wait.

bruneep

If you think a post is a deliberate troll, abusive, offensive or otherwise a bit naughty then don’t hesitate to email us at moderator@singletrackworld.com and we’ll have a look.

who checks the checkers.. 😉

NZCol

I had some c u next Tuesday brake test me in the A9 after he forced his way in to abort an overtake that was about to cause a head on ! He then stood on his brakes and made lots of geaticulations. Then he forced an oncoming car off the road into a lay by! Incredibly bad driving all captured on film which I have to the police after reporting him, so had others. Black Merc, will post the plate as they deserve it!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

6 minutes in 😯

Davesport

If you weren’t driving too close, why would they ‘brake test’ you?

Have you had a look at the title of the thread. There’s a clue right there.

Davesport

I leave plenty of space between me and the car in front. So, I invite it, brake-test me.

As I said…arrogance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the scammer is creating the situation where the driver behind is too close to be able to react.

This, the scammer creates a situation that relies on you not paying attention, best way to avoid it is to pay attention. If you hit a stationary object then 99%* of the time it’s your fault. Best advice to anyone on the road, expect the unexpected, assume all the others are idiots and pay attention to what you are doing in a large lump of metal.

For Scammer you could swap kid running out if you want.

*Excluding things like an object dropped off a bridge in front of you or the Tardis appearing.

jam-bo

assume all the others are idiots

I find that works in all aspects of life.

bearnecessities

Only lately? (-:

Yes, only lately though I’ve noticed.

I’ll throw my hat into the “I drive a heroic journey daily” defendant stance.

I do drive about 40k a year work only and every day I cover the most accident-prone motorways in Britain (M60/M62/M61/M6)

I am very fortunate I get paid for the time I spend driving and a nominal amount for fuel, so I have no reason at all to drive quickly, aggressively and certainly not too close to another car. I rarely leave the inside lane and travel at safe distances, at a steady 70.

It’s not sexy.

However I could easily get wrapped up in a crash scam.

I know you’re smart enough to realise that’s entirely possible, so stop being an arse.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I probably put the same in on those motorways before I left.

However I could easily get wrapped up in a crash scam.

I know you’re smart enough to realise that’s true, so stop being an arse.

Basicly youre driving along and indicate a left turn, car in front then swerves left,with no indication and then about 20 foot round the corner the car suddenly indicates and stops dead suddenly with the car behind almost hiting them, and strangely its been women drivers who are the ones not indicating and braking fast. In Liverpool

Honestly having lived on the outskirts and been in and out the city this just sounds like normal Liverpool fwit driving. Nothing out the ordinary, if you don’t clock that the driver who swerved is unpredictable then you need to sharpen up a bit.

Cougar

As I said…arrogance.

(over?)confidence.

I know you’re smart enough to realise that’s entirely possible, so stop being an arse.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No, unless I’m driving badly.

bearnecessities

Pathetic.

For some reason you’re trolling over last few weeks. I don’t know why, but I can say it’s not just me that thinks that.

It doesn’t suit you, please stop it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I try to keep a good distance behind the car in front in normal traffic. And as I was taught, when I stop in a queue (eg, at a roundabout) I try to leave enough gap that I can see the tyres on the vehicle in front, so that we can all move off promptly when the traffic on the roundabout clears…

So on this occasion, the traffic clears and we all move off; 2 car lengths in, the guy in front stops dead, halfway across the give way line. Slow speed impact, minor damage, legally my fault. We swap details, he’s [excessively] friendly, he and his passengers say they’re fine. Various other details don’t seem quite right. A week later he’s claiming whiplash x 3. My insurer is suspicious and it all becomes clear to me. In hindsight, I suspect he’d taken the bulbs out of his brake lights.

So, how closely do you follow the car in front when pulling away?

Daffy

butcher – Member

Both of the accidents in those videos could easily have been avoided. First by not tailgating. Second by paying attention!

Don’t be so obtuse…in the first clip, the driver leaves enough space to come to a complete standstill on the outside lane of a dual carridgeway. He’s then hit from behind by another car, forcing him into the car in front.

Cougar

I’m not knowingly trolling.

Beyond that, I couldn’t say.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t be so obtuse…in the first clip, the driver leaves enough space to come to a complete standstill on the outside lane of a dual carridgeway. He’s then hit from behind by another car, forcing him into the car in front.

The mistake in the first one is to also stop in the outside lane of a dual carriageway, yes something fishy was going on with the car in front but at the start of the clip he was too close (for a regulation stopping distance).
    The second one was simply the driver not reacting to the traffic ahead, the driver missing the junction caused a problem on a road with great visibility, not seeing that coming was the drivers fault that hit the other car and the dash cam proves it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Surely car overtakes pulls in front 3m away and brakes, you aint stopping. Its a forced crash.

supersquirrel
    Free Member

So he shouldn’t have stopped?

Perhaps he could have bunny hopped him?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m with Cougar in this one. If you give yourself an adequate gap between you and the car in front then no matter what they do you will not hit them. What if their engine seizes and their gear box locks at the same time – i happens so you might as well be far enoguh back to avoid it. The guy in that first video up there should have looked behind him and done an emergency lane change. Hey presto no crash.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you give yourself

But if you cant, its your word against theirs.

supersquirrel
    Free Member

But the guy in the first video stopped in good time.

What are you saying he did wrong?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The guy in the first video didn’t look behind him. If he did he could have taken evasive action. i.e. changed lanes or aimed for the central barrier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Possible crash for cash scam’ is closed to new replies.