Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Possible con via my gumtree add – (humorous e-mail exchange content)
  • beamers

Evening all.

I’ve advertised a pushchair on Gumtree which resulted in the following exchange with a “buyer”:

Me – Hi Laura, I still have the pram. Are you interested in buying it?

Laura Andre Phillips – Okay………i have read through the advert and i’m totally satisfied with it.. will like to have it…..how much is the exact amount you want to sell?

Me – Hi Laura, £95 for the push chair as pictured. The rain cover, not pictured, is also included.

LAP – Ok!The price is a good buy for me… please remove the advert and consider it sold as i am paying your full asking price of £95 because i need to buy it for my cousin, i have done thorough check on the advert and i’m fine with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to view or collect it due to house bound went through throat cancer surgery and couldn’t talk more but will be ok soon but i have an agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i’ll pay you via PayPal tonight or first thing tomorrowmorning and pick up will start after you have cashed your money..if that is ok with you.
    Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the agent about it now and send me your registered paypal email,so i can make arrangement for payment.Thanks

Me – Morning Laura, I’ve removed the advert. Can you make the payment to my Paypal account.
    Many thanks for buying the pushchair. There’s loads of use left in it – I’m sure your cousin will be pleased with it.

LAP – Okay..I will complete the paymen first thing this morning as discussed and email you once it has been completed!

LAP – Hello again, Goodmorning,I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment as discussed! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your registered paypal email address
    I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being house bound due to my throat cancer surgery,i’m unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £155 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges t,you will receive the total sum of £290
    You’ll send £155 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

Name: joanne Macclaughlin
    Address: 472 John Street,bustan,Dubai.

Please let me know once you’ve sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements

Me – Laura, Nothing received in my paypal account. I’ve got a better idea. How about you send £290 to your agent via moneygram and then they give me £95 cash on collection.

LAP – The total amount is off my account already hold and pending to your account,I am so sorry for the hassle,due to health status and being on house bound..i could not get to the moneygram shop to sort the courier fee,so i paid through your paypal account.I have already sent the money and it has been totally deducted from my account,i dont even have access to the money again because the transaction has been secured by PayPal and it cannot be reversed or cancel!..I also received an email from PayPal and it stated that they would be holding the funds for security reasons,they said that they have sent you some instructions, so you will need to send the £155 cash via moneygram so that PayPal can credit the £290 into your account as soon as you have emailed the moneygram payment details to paypal as instructed.immediately the total amount is released to your account for cash. pls find any nearby moneygram shop and complete the transfer,so the total amount is released immediately to your account.

Me – Can you forward me the e-mail from paypal please.

LAP – okay.

LAP – i have forward the paypal payment receipt to you.

Me – Thanks Laura, You don’t mind if I forward this entire email trail to PayPal do you, just for my own peace of mind? I’d hate to be the victim of a scam. Your collection agent fees seem extraordinarily high.

LAP – okay,no problem.

Me – Hi Laura, I’ve sent everything off to paypal for them to confirm that your e-mails to me are genuine but I’ve not heard back from them yet. I’m sure they will come back with an answer soon.

Me – Hi Laura, Just thought I’d update you. It can take up to 24hrs for Paypal to investigate possible fraud cases. Are you happy to wait that long or shall I re-advertise the push chair? Can you let me know either way. Many thanks.

Funnily enough LAP has not replied since.

This is the email that LAP forwarded to me which was allegedly sent to her from PayPal:

So, scam or not? I smell a rat. A big one.

bruneep

Of course its a scam

Big rat you say?

beamers

The e-mail from paypal looked plausible (ish) right up to the e-mail address within – servicepaypal@mail2helpdesk. com. Oh right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coconut
    Free Member

Forward the details on to the Nigerians… Get them both chatting 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

ScM

You posted your full name btw

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Someone tried this on me once, via Freegle IIRC. They too didn’t respond after I mentioned internet fraud.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The e-mail from paypal looked plausible (ish) right up to the e-mail address within

Really? The terrible formatting? The superfluous GBP? The fact that the courier company isn’t even named?

Jesus, I made a better job of forging my own passport when I was 17 and that was just a simple date switch and blurring the copied and pasted numbers in Paintshop.

taka
    Free Member

i had the same thing last week selling a car on gumtree i nearly thought it was genuine, makes a change from someone working on a oil rig

beamers

The e-mail from paypal looked plausible (ish) right up to the e-mail address within

Really? The terrible formatting? The superfluous GBP? The fact that the courier company isn’t even named?

Without a genuine one to compare it with then yes. I could see how someone could get taken in by it.

jekkyl

They always say something like ‘I am totally satisfied with the goods’ I mean who would say that? Soon as you see that you know it’s bullshit

mattyfez

Sending an ‘agent’ to collect.. lol

Cougar

I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m floored that you – that anyone – would think this is a “possible” scam.

The catch is that Paypal payments are reversible, Moneygram is not. So they pay you by Paypal (or not even bother in this case), you pay by Moneygram, they (may) collect the goods, then raise a non-delivery dispute with PP who refund the full amount. Net result, you’re £400 out of pocket.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Some good tips here

http://www.419eater.com

Make sure you get them to send you a photo

beamers

I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m floored that you – that anyone – would think this is a “possible” scam.

No offence taken. Of course I didn’t think it was a “possible” scam. It was a very obvious one.

I’m a bit annoyed that they haven’t responded – I was looking forward to some scammer baiting. I need more practice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Possible con via my gumtree add – (humorous e-mail exchange content)’ is closed to new replies.