• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Possible carbon steerer trimming cockuppery…
  • IHN

Don’t ask how, but I didn’t realise the steerer on my roadie forks was carbon until I started to cut it down. I’d measured the cut so that the stem will sit on the top of a couple of spacers, with the stem cap directly on top that.

Now, I measured the steerer so it would be a few mm below the top of the stem clamp, which, on a steel steerer, would be perfect. However, am I right in thinking that a carbon steerer needs to go all the way through the stem clamp, with a spacer on top?

If so, I’ve cut it too short 🙁

m0rk
    Free Member

Yup, I was always taught to leave a spacer on top. Can’t remember why now, but I still do it.

Can you get a lower stacking headset or shorter stack stem?

chakaping
    Free Member

Flip the stem (if it’s a neg rise), or get one with some rise?

simondbarnes

However, am I right in thinking that a carbon steerer needs to go all the way through the stem clamp, with a spacer on top?

Different manufacturers say different things. It wouldn’t bother me to run it like that.

mickmcd
    Free Member

this can be fixed if you really are concerned, Bond a steerer plug in that’s the cure all cervelo do one and will stop your steerer splitting and ruining your face

puddings
    Free Member

Also make sure that you use a torque wrench to tighten the stem – there is a greater risk of crushing and collapsing the steerer when it is flush (part of the reason for the Cervelo problems)

IHN

Cheers chaps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Possible carbon steerer trimming cockuppery…’ is closed to new replies.