Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Possible can of worms – religion in schools
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Atheism rocks!

Faith; If one has enough faith that there is an elephant sitting in the next room doing the Telegraph crossword, then this notion becomes a reality in one’s mind.

Just like the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and God, the elephant is a fantasy in one’s imagination.

Why is only believing in God taken seriously?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i reckon they would burn a few of the more “extremeist” god botherers

“they” ?? Surely it’s not exactly an organised irrelgion ? No unchurches, no abishops, no antipope…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Olly

if i ever aquire a child, i wont enforce a religion, neither will i enforce atheism, i’ll point out and try and ensure they understand the options in an unbiased manner.

on a side line, i heard a woman, in sainsburies cafe, kicking off about her toddlers food (2 or 3yrs) with the words “he cant eat that, hes a vegitarian”
    Made me suprisingly annoyed, ill bet he didnt choose to be a vegisexual.

Clearly you will be the perfectly objective parent [as your tolerance of others viewpoints shines through in abundance] not letting your own views affect the acquired (are you buying one from Africa or something?)child. Surprisingly a meat eating child does not choose to eat meat either the parent makes the deicision there as well the crazy meatisexuals.
    Remember principles get applied universally not selectively.. it is freedom of choice and that choice is excercised by the parents not the child.
    PS Most indian Hindus and Buddhists are vegetarian perhaps she had a deep seated religious reason for this. Would that be ok?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

” Would that be ok? “
    – in the spirit of this thread, no its not, the kid shoul be allowed to make up their own mind whent heyr old enough and have been shown other religions, as well as science.

I’m responsible for a pile of 90 engineering drawings, its my job, if i mess up i get blamed/winged at/fired

If god realy is responsible for keeping us all safe, even those who have yet to “find” him/her/it then they are doing a pretty rubbish job and should be sacked.

Anyway, you dont go to heaven when you die, you wait, and wait, and wait, then when gods finaly ready he’ll let us all in or cast us off into a big firely pit. So say St Peter has 12 billion people to get through (presuming the world ends tommorow and there realy are more people allive than have ever lived, not true) and it takes him half an hour to interview you and find out how bad you are, do you realy want to wait 685,000 years to get to the front of the que, thats worse than the post office!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My ex-wife and I are both veggies but we gave our kids meat when they asked for it, and both are now confirmed carnivores. In fact, my son’s strapline on MSN was “For every animal you don’t eat, I’ll eat 3” :o)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Religion is schools? Should be completely banned as it is in many countries. except as a academic subject of comparative religion.

Indoctrinating kids with a belief in fairy tales that skews their relationship with reality is tantamount to child abuse

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

why?
    why does it matter what they think about the origins of life?
    it dosent change anything, least of all to us, let them believe what they want.

Until they decide that they should wage a war (backed by the big bloke upstairs) on you as you belive in nothing / a different bloke upstairs / FSM. OK forget war, how about medical treatment or the right to vote / drive / go out alone?

SSP

Olly
    Free Member

good point, junkyard, i hadnt considered that.
    my personal view of being a meat eater as being “the norm” swinging it biasdly.
    unavoidable bias occours i guess, you can avoid it, it just happens.
    if a man in a balaclava runs towards you swinging a sword, do you move out of the way?
    any decision you make must be biased, based on previous experience or even what you believe (unlikley to have happened before, but youd still move wouldn’t you)
    though, if you put a bacon sarnie infront of a child, its then up to the kid. they may change thier mind in a few years, but your not ramming down their throat?
    (would work better if the kid made the connection between the sarnie and peppathepig)

indeed SSP, when some loon starts to fiddle with my driving and drinking laws, ill have something to complain about,

When he throws a bomb at me though, I’ll not try and convince him that the god that told him to throw it is unreasonable, ill just throw a bigger one back.

I have no problems with veggies for the record, my Ex was veggie, so i didnt eat meat more than a couple of times for 3 years, i didnt miss it, i didnt feel restricted, just how it panned out. another life choice, only a problem when you start dropping “meat is murder” propaganda through the door (but they [veggies] dont, so its ok)

surfer
    Free Member

Im not an Atheist, I dont care, none of it affects me, its not a case of “if your not with us your against us”

Olly.
    If you read my (or others) contributions you would see how even in secular countries a belief in god impacts all of us in our everyday life. If you are disinterested then thats another matter.

surfer
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer – a belief in god only affects me by being annoyed buy god botherers. In no other way does it have any effect on me or my life

underthesun
    Free Member

Personally I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I went to a catholic school, went to mass twice a week but I was C of E. There was none of this ‘oh your C of E so you can’t come to mass’. They welcomed me into the school and included me regardless of their faith. Was it forced upon me?? No. Did it bother me?? No. Did I enjoy going to mass/church?? Yes. Am I a practising Christian today?? No. Did going to mass teach me moral values?? Yes. Do I believe in a God/creator?? Yes.

We get that much rubbish thrown at us about the ‘big bang’ theory. IMO I only have to go for a ride in the mountains and look at what I am surrounded by and think to myself ‘is this all here by chance’. It soon puts it all in perspective (for me anyway).

The problem today is that nobody is willing to accept others beliefs whether Muslim, Buddhist or Christian. Also, we have become a nation that when somebody talks about God we freeze up and get defensive. People have forgotten that Catholicism and Christian faith has long been a part of our culture up until recent times.

When I visit Italy I see lots of people walking past the churches/basilicas doing the sign of the cross in front of a street full of people. Now my question is how would that go down in peoples opinion in this country if we were seeing numerous people in our cities/streets doing the sign of cross. You would more than likely get the p*ss taken out of you or called a religious nutter.

Either way, whatever you believe in, live and let live I say no matter what faith.

surfer
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

Without going over old ground your statement is incorrect. As a tax payer you have (or should) have an interest in how the taxes are spent in your name.

This may be as simple as utilising revenue that could be spent on a deserving cause which is diverted to pay for a war that you disagree with.

Religion also interferes in the allocation of funding into medical research. In the US it is a criminal offence to undertake stem cell research. This is potentially the most significant research currently being undertaken and may provide cures and treatments for some of our most common diseases, such as Cancer. This alone could ease the suffering of millions.

Funding is also witheld in the US (again!) to vacinate against serious diseases as key politicians feel that the disease itself is beneficial in preventing pre-marital sex!

Millions die of Aids each year in Africa through the Vaticans preaching that condom use (even amongst married couples where one partner is HIV positive) is against gods law.

Its naive to think that a belief in God does not impact us all daily. If you have no interest in the suffering of your fellow man then that’s up to you. I however do.

surfer
    Free Member

‘is this all here by chance

Nobody ever said it was here by chance.

Maybe less teaching of religion at that school of yours and more science would have equipped you with tools to understand that natural selection is not based on chance.

underthesun
    Free Member

Ah, religion.

All makes for heated discussion. FACT. ;o)

surfer
    Free Member

All makes for heated discussion. FACT

Yes, not something we should shy away from.

goon
    Free Member

and think to myself ‘is this all here by chance’.

No, it’s not. It’s there because of a complex series of natural processes operating together over an extemely long period of time. Just because something is extremely beautiful or complex doesn’t mean you have to invoke the supernatural.

Olly
    Free Member

😉 trolling HEAVEN!

surfer
    Free Member

trolling HEAVEN!

Maybe “thou doth protest to much”!

Spongebob
    Free Member

And Sir David Attenborough has been getting death threats from religious nutters for making a programme about Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

These idiots get so upset when scientists rationally disprove their flawed beliefs through meticulous and parallel research programmes over a very long period.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

Faith; If one has enough faith that there is an elephant sitting in the next room doing the Telegraph crossword, then this notion becomes a reality in one’s mind.

Just like the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and God, the elephant is a fantasy in one’s imagination.

Why is only believing in God taken seriously?

Would it not be fair to say that if it wasn’t for our existence we wouldn’t be able to imagine a tooth fairy, Santa or indeed an elephant doing the Telegraph crossword?

Seems simple to me if you allow to view everything as God; take this view and God becomes real.

Teaching future generations to understand lessons from the past and help people grow up with mutual respect and tolerance for one another requires education.

IMO daily worship in schools should help contribute to this if done well but we’re sure to get some polital/social disagreements as things inevitably change.

But nothing like a good ride on the hills to fill the soul…

miketually
    Free Member

Seems simple to me if you allow to view everything as God; take this view and God becomes real

It’s called pantheism.

surfer
    Free Member

Seems simple to me if you allow to view everything as God; take this view and God becomes real.

Maybe some of us just need to be more intellectually robust!

Teaching future generations to understand lessons from the past and help people grow up with mutual respect and tolerance for one another requires education.

Belief in fairies is not a pre-requisite for this, as much as believers would claim a monopoly on moral behaviour!

Although 500 years of the inquisition would be a good history lesson to ensure the wickedness of religion was never forgotten.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

It’s called pantheism.

Yep – A concept rather than a religion…so open to so called atheisits.

Belief in fairies is not a pre-requisite for this, as much as believers would claim a monopoly on moral behaviour!

I don’t think anyone can claim a monopoly on moral behaviour, it’s a debate open to discussion and change over time. But nevertheless why not try to create a moral framework? Indeed it’s already been done and no doubt will slowly change. “Believe in fairies” as you put it, shouldn’t necessary lead to problems – try embracing the idea…you don’t have to become all relgious to do it!

Shut up Chalky – go and ride!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

we have a moral framework. Read Kant on Morals and religion. Very interesting.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jesus Nettles – what have you started while I’ve been away???!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Possible can of worms – religion in schools’ is closed to new replies.