Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Possible bone single speed question
  • SandCrab

Having bought myself a karate monkey in January to use as a winter bike, I’ve found a single speed to be fairly spot on for my local area (south Netherlands) and it is getting regular use now the sun is out.

On my last ride the chain jumped off the rear sprocket half way up a hill. It popped back on easily enough but appeared to be fairly slack. I took it home, undid the bolts and slid the wheel back along the dropouts.

My question is, how taut should the chain be? Do I just pull the wheel back as far as it will go or do I remove a chain link?

Cheers!

Chris

Tom83

I always do it so i can spin the cranks backwards round atleast 1 revolution. I’m sure others do it differently though!

trailflow
    Free Member

It needs to be fairly taut but not too much it over stresses it,or too loose so the chain comes off.
    Using a chain tensioner like this should sort it.

Genetic chain tensioner

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crotchrocket
    Free Member

I tighten using the moto method. i.e. so that you can deflect the chain by 20mm plus or minus 10mm in the lower length of chain.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I ride a single speed too and I have also found that 20-25mm of movement does not cause an issue for me.

It would have to be very slack for the chain to jump of.

flashes
    Free Member

I use 1 tensioner on the chain side. The Surly one is brilliant….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Possible bone single speed question’ is closed to new replies.