• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Positive stories of slimming down the fleet …… Let's hear them.
  • letmetalktomark

Now I would never concede to owning too many bikes ….. Never 😉

But …… But I do.

I’ve seen a frame that I like that would in affect replace several bikes but would require the selling of many …..

So before I start this process let’s hear of your positive slimming down the fleet stories …. Especially from many.

8)

honourablegeorge

Recently went from a hardtail, a 160 bike and a DH bike to a plus hardtail and a Geometron

I think I’m going to be OK

wilburt
    Free Member

I miss every bike I’ve ever sold 🙁

(edit: except an old tandem with a twisted frame that was xxxx)

scaredypants

OP, your plan is perfect

… for starting an entirely new bike collection over the next couple of years 😀

robhughes
    Free Member

Iv’e failed miserably as i can’t bring myself to sell any of mine.Built with love and care and a stupid amount of money.I can feel a new build cumming on as we speak.
    Think i,ll keep them until they decompose. 😀

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Over the last ten years, n has gone from 1 to 4 and is now back to 2!

Still got the blue carbon Felt F5C, but I need to find it a new good home, no good for my weak lower back these days.

My Tricross Singlecross needed some relatively minor bits repaired/replaced after my RTA, kept thinking I would do it, but my confidence on drops bars was wrecked after the RTA. Was great to have someone here (TimP) buy it mid summer and promptly get is back on the road. 🙂

Discovered a really bad crack on the seat tube of my orange Saracen Pylon8 in the summer of 2014, by the top tube weld, had to write off the frame (but sold the upgraded forks on here). 😥

My better half bought a Saracen Zena2 at the same time at I got my Pylon8, great spec for the price at the time, but she used it less than a handful of times! I started using it after my RTA and then writing off the Pylon, but a teenage scrotum nicked it while it was locked up in Bitterne precinct for less than 5 minutes. Got my hopes up when police said there was CCTV coverage there, but nothing was found of their getaway. 👿

Bought the Wazoo in Feb this year, after breaking my Saracen and then losing my better half’s Saracen, I was looking at Wiggle’s Xmas sale last year and seriously eyeing up the Kona Humu for ~£335. Then the Calibre Dune hit me like a bolt from the blue, hadn’t even considered fatbikes until then, but I was wary of the apparently small 18″ frame and I really wanted hydraulic brakes. And suddenly Halfords had another batch of Wazoos arrive, after the first lot sold like hot cakes. 😀

So while theoretically n=2, in reality n=1, the Wazoo is a perfect do-it-all bike for my needs these days. I really must get some photos and an ad sorted for the Felt, bikes are meant to be ridden, not sit in garages for years gathering dust!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

11 and a half bikes here. Plus an Orange Five frame lurking about waiting to be built up.

I’ll never get rid of any of them, but I think 11 really is the absolute limit of the number of bikes I can actually ride. Well maybe 12 – there’s that many months in the year 😆

Each has been a labour of love and is a thing of two-wheeled beauty (to mine eyes). It would pain me to part with any of them.

Probably not helping here, OP..

mattbee

I have ended up with one mountain bike after a long period of owning at least 3. (Well, I say one, I really me an only 1 complete bike and a few frames/wheels/forks up in the attic). A 140mm travel fs seems o be happily covering all of my riding and I reckon the cost of replacing pivot bearings etc after a winter of riding is less than it cost to build my winter ss bike so makes sense.
    I do still have a cx/gravel type bike and a road bike though so it’s not like I’m a single bike evangelist & I also currently hanker after a long travel hard tail so I reckon it’s more like I’m in remission than cured….

kerley
    Free Member

I only ever have one bike at a time. I don’t get emotionally attached to bikes so find them easy to part with.

Just selling the bike I have had for last 18 months (which I really like and is built up perfectly) but just fancy going back to a fixed track bike for my off road riding as like the challenge. That will then be my only bike for 1+ years until I change it again.

The positive of having a single bike;

Just one bike to maintain, clean, but nice bits for
    Get very used to the bike and know exactly what it can and can’t do
    Never wishing you brought one of the other bikes

pictonroad

Yep. I did it. Thought I’d miss them more than I do. Went from double figures to

SS rigid MTB
    Full sus
    CX/gravel
    Road
    Cargo
    Commuter

Each one has a very different purpose, there’s no crossover. I can put each one away without the pedal fight dance.

I’d like to go further but I really use all of them now and not because I feel obliged. Also got rid of ALL my spare frames forks and wheels this year.

It’s been a slog, but cathartic and I’m glad I did it.

There’s a positive story for you.

globalti
    Free Member

Ti mountain bike frame and forks have gone; only the brakes and the wheels to go now. Tricross has gone to a commuting colleague; he loves it and I’m glad it’s getting some use at last. That leaves me with the Roubaix and the hooligan bike so if I ever want to go mountain biking I’ll have to hire a bike. At least somebody else will have to clean and maintain it though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The other year, I went from:

FS + hardtail + touring bike + racing bike -> awesome hardtail + gravel bike

Apart from the reduced space they took up, the main advantage is everything always working properly. If something goes wrong, you sort it out immediately rather than falling back on a different bike. You can afford to keep the right spares, and have all the right tools immediately to hand. You clean the one you’ve just brought home and it’s fresh when you want to go out again. You’re completely familiar with all your bikes, you don’t have to re-learn the handling after a couple of months of favouring a different one. They feel like they’re getting properly used, so when it’s time to have another one you can move the old one on without any guilt or shame.

Well worth doing in my view. 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

Went from 5 bikes to one – Yeti sb95 – lasted 6 months this year till I needed to change the bearings a stooge caught my eye so bought it in half fat mode ( 26 X 4 f and 27.5. X 2.8 r) then saw a Ritchey p 29 and having sold one bought the frame so just in process of building.

The Yeti did everything I needed and is the fastest bike I have ever ridden BUT I could have the stooge as my only bike like the Yeti it does all I need if slower ( not much) however 1 X 9 is a limiting factor.

Actually they are a really complimentary pair of bikes both enjoyable and I like them…but since getting the stooge I have not replaced the bearings in the Yeti,……… 😳

Er positive is two bikes is just enough…..

Hoff

Just added a Stooge on the promise it’s 1 in 2 out & currently have

Full suss
    Road bike
    CX bike
    Fat bike
    Rigid steel 29er
    26″ Steel hard tail

Thought was to get rid of the fat bike & rigid 29er but I do still ride & like them both. Non of the bikes I have would make much in the scondhand market so I can’t justify selling them…..

ton

i got rid of everything and bought a Jones+ with spare touring wheels.

hate clutter. 1 bike for everything.

nickc

BD beat me to it. I went from SS, geared HT, 150mm full suss, CX, and Road, to just a mountain bike and a road bike.

Buy the mountain for what you do mostly, and learn to live with compromise, road…mleh just road don’t really care about it, but ‘snice to have when the weather is so shit, you can’t bear being off road. Nothing’s ever broken, no chance for seals to get dry, tyres to go flat, take up less space, cost less money to live with. better kit on both, weirdly, more riding

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Positive stories of slimming down the fleet …… Let's hear them.’ is closed to new replies.