Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Positive pressure ventilation alternatives
  • thered

I have limited ventilation in my house and it’s causing damp and condensation, positive pressure ventilation has been suggested as a solution but I’m concerned about the aesthetics of having a fan in my ceiling and possibly a noisy unit in the loft.

Anybody have any experience of this or know of any alternative options?

mrblobby
    Free Member
    jam-bo

it’s not noisy, and the vent is fairly unobtrusive.

nuair drimaster here and its made a massive difference to my place.

edit: when I first installed it, it mounted it direct to the ceiling joists, I could hear the unit then. Suspended it from the roof joists and can’t hear it at all now.

Murray

Continuous extraction is good too. I now run the shower fan if leaving clothes to dry in the shower room and no more condensation.

robj20
    Free Member

Heat Recovery Ventilator.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

concerned about the aesthetics of having a fan in my ceiling and possibly a noisy unit in the loft.

I have had to point out to friends where it is in our house. You really don’t notice it.

What do you call noisy? In the middle of the night I can here it if I stand underneath it, but that’s only because I know its there

honeybadgerx

I’m contemplating one of these, how often do they actually run? Our house is relatively cold (old stone cottage), plus the loft temperature can be pretty low a lot of the time as well (we’re reasonably high up and exposed)? I guess I’m just a bit concerned it’d want to run all the time and would cost a fortune (especially if it’s one that heats the air slightly).

alibongo001

They tend to run all the time.

In the spring and summer months, much of the time there will be a net input of heat as the sun warms up the air in the roof space and then it gets blown into the house.

In terms of cost the non heat version is supposed to be a penny a day, prob a bit more for the heat version.

You can get a thermostat thingy to measure the air temp difference and get it to blow faster when there is a net gain of energy into the house and back off when the air in the loft is colder than the house.

cb

I had a nuaire heated version fitted last week. Faint hum when right underneath it and not that visually intrusive. I’m not sure the heater is set up properly in mine at the moment as the air it circulates feels cold to me. It has dried things out very quickly and people mention that they feel the air is much ‘fresher’ now. The damp issues were minor though in our place.

I paid £313 for mine plus fitting costs

EDIT mine has programmes that can be selected to determine when the unit is on. Over 23 degrees and it goes into standby

cvilla

Some of the ones with heaters are just there as frost protection and only heat when air is say below 5 deg (I am guessing temp so check each unit) there maybe other that actually heat. The ones I have seen run at around 4-8w which equates to around £5 per year, this is unheated. We use them in old cottages to try and reduce condensation risk, partly depends of how users/tenants/owners use their home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Positive pressure ventilation alternatives’ is closed to new replies.