• This topic has 79 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Positive male leads
  • gordimhor

I give you Saul Goodman
    [video]https://youtu.be/pPd67CEL54E[/video]

lazybike
    Free Member

In my experience children learn what they live, the only positive role models they need are the adults they live with…not some fictional character off the tele.

gordimhor

Or seriously some of the male characters in The Wire

RustySpanner

More radio:

CountZero

Cougar

On the subject of Mal Reynolds, “Castle” had already crossed my mind.

Who’s the guy with Farage in the third picture, I don’t recognise it?

chewkw
    Free Member

lazybike – Member
    In my experience children learn what they live, the only positive role models they need are the adults they live with…not some fictional character off the tele.

^^^ This. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

olddog

Homer Simpson surely?

PJay
    Free Member

slowster
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

@hols2 – is that Sipowicz? Excellent choice!

hols2 – Member

Buntz from Hill Street Blues, but basically the same character.

It’s an awful choice: his character was not likeable and often behaved badly or bent/broke the rules. It’s interesting that of all the characters in Hill Street Blues, you have picked one of the least appropriate as a positive male role model. I suppose you have forgotten those who were good role models, like the character played by Daniel J Travanti, Captain Frank Furillo, because they were not as attractive as the flawed ones, or maybe you simply would not be able to recognise a genuinely positive role model, like the many who have suggested their favourite bad boy action hero (although I think they at least have the excuse of having their tongue in their cheek).

CountZero

Who’s the guy with Farage in the third picture, I don’t recognise it?

The third one down of the ones I posted? That’s Shean Evans as Endeavour Morse, alongside Roger Allam, DI Fred Thursday.

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

squirrelking
    Free Member

If we’re going Walking Dead (TV) I’d pick Darryl over Prick.

Umm, Ray Gillette?

Ooh, Dredd. Minus the whole authoritarian thing of course. Damn.

twistedpencil

Steve Backshall. He spends so much of his life in hot, humid rainforests that you’d assume he stinks. Far from it. Alan Partridge finds his aroma to be really quite enjoyable, like uncooked pastry. Smiles alot mind 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

edhornby

Ok not fictional but David Attenborough

Fiction, Obi-wan Kenobi (yes the lightsabre to the nutter in the cantina bar but that’s the only bit)

Dumbeldore, Sirius black and so on

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whoever said Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights – hell yeah!

Every episode – a lesson in how to be a better man from Coach.

If Coah Taylor quotes were motivational posters. 😆

samunkim
    Free Member

Guy Martin

Murray

Snape. Does the right thing knowing that everyone will hate him. Carries on and on sucking up the hate from Harry Potter et al but carries on protecting them. Dumbeldore dying heroically is good but Snape use my role model.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Pingu.

jimjam
    Free Member

samunkim – Member

Guy Martin

The fictional character Guy Martin?

stumpy01

Gibbs from NCIS…

wordnumb
    Free Member

But also, why would a shape-shifting alien with two hearts who is basically a wizard (magic flying castle/carries a wand) and who despite being able to travel in time only ever does anything in the nick of time be considered a role model?

funkmasterp

jimjam
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member

But also, why would a shape-shifting alien with two hearts who is basically a wizard (magic flying castle/carries a wand) and who despite being able to travel in time only ever does anything in the nick of time be considered a role model?

Because if he, she, they were perfect and handled every situation with ease in a timely fashion it would be boring. See my earlier post.

Heroes need flaws to make them relate-able.

rossco832

Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights

molgrips
    Free Member

Gibbs from NCIS – definitely not. Emotionally crippled and breaks rules all over the place when it suits him. Divorced twice too.

Serious answer: Booth from Bones. Watch carefully. He’s a square jawed tough guy hero, but he is very clearly written as a vehicle to address this while subject.

He follows and endorses the rules, he doesn’t punch the bad guys out unless he has to, he lets people get away rather than shoot them, he respects women, and lots more.

It’s very well written. Well, the good ones are at any rate 🙂 this gets discussed a lot in our house. The character deals with a lot of male problems. And the show in general eschews th concept of righteous violence which I think is so baked into Hollywood that we don’t even notice it being promoted all the time.

That family favourite, Back to the Future – think about the moral of that first movie…

jimjam
    Free Member

That family favourite, Back to the Future – think about the moral of that first movie

Don’t have sex with your mother.

sirromj

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights

But not coach Stephens from Last Chance U.

enfht
    Free Member

Ricky, Julian and Bubbles.

atlaz
    Free Member

But not coach Stephens from Last Chance U.

Yet ironically he’s the sort of person his athletes need as they all seem to lack some basic life skills.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Positive male leads’ is closed to new replies.