Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Position of rider when measuring sag help please
  • breninbeener

With everyone agreeing that static sag is an important starting point for setting up suspension, I was wondering what position you advise adopting for the rider whilst taking this measurement.

I have quite a difference in measurement between sat on the saddle, and weight split between pedals and bars and was wondering if there is an advised position?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I stood on my pedals holding onto the garage door with the bike pointing down the garage ramp, but I dunno if that’s ideal.

akira

Standing up on pedals, knees and arms bent in classic attack position, also fully laden as if actually riding.

JohnnyPanic

You talking about fork or shock sag…

breninbeener

I was talking about both. Do I need a different proceedure for each end?

breninbeener

oldnick

I use the attack position for the fork sag, seated for shock sag.

I think the reasoning was to set the sag each end with the greatest static weight it’ll see.

br
    Free Member

Surely it is whatever position you want your suspension to work it’s best at, so stood up with weight on the front I would imagine.

But tbh don’t overthink it.

andycs

Rear, sat down with pro-pedal off.
    Front, stood in attack position.
    Wear riding kit including camelback.
    Sag should be approx 1 3rd of full travel.

breninbeener

Guys, thats great, thank you

cookeaa

Attack position you say?

Which one?

I’d just place my weight centred over the bike, arms and legs slightly bent if you like, and then slowly, gently clamber off without bouncing the bloody thing…

this sort of thing:

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is that a picture of muddy dwarf settling a difference of opinion with a neighbour?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Position of rider when measuring sag help please’ is closed to new replies.