Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)
  • Posh watches ?
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Damasko make hardened steel tool watches if you like their style (I do). They do a bracelet now as well.
    Few watches and fewer brands keep their value so contemplate second hand or watch the sales for a mint example at c50% discount. Also worth considering vintage if you really want something a little leads common or have wrists which suit 40mm or less.
    I’m not a fan of titanium as it marks too easily for me. Enjoy looking but beware it can be a bit of a rabbit hole…..

Alphabet

How about Christopher Ward?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rolly Submariner and a B&R GMT123, but Bremont and IWC are on the list too.

For quality and style at sensible prices, you can’t go wrong with a Seiko tho’. Had a lovely Titanium Flightmaster GMT for a few years back which (apart from not quite fitting me perfectly) was all the watch you could need.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Nice but not massively expensive – the new(ish) Elliot Brown Tyneham automatic.

it’s really quite nice…

homer

I have a bremont mb2. Curious as to how anyone would consider it overproced shite….never regretted it for a second and never found anyone else wearing one….unlike more “common” watches.

cpon
    Free Member

Got a yearning for a nice watch. Want something practical that I can wear every day so not massively chunky or blingy, something like a Tag or Breitling. Metal bracelet strap, maybe titanium, preferably automatic rather than quartz.
    Any thoughts on these brands ? any recommendations ?
    Ta in advance

Just re-read your requirement and thought about Tudor. Prestigious brand, practical, not blingy, metal bracelet, titanium, automatic with an inhouse movement:

Tudor Pelagos.

Kryton57

In my head in associate Omega as the Mercedes of the watch world. As I’m only 44 I’m 20 years away from considering wearing one.

chilled76
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

Patek Phillipe would be my choice of top end watches. The nautilus is on my wish list for a 40th present to myself

peajay

I’ve had my Seamaster for 15 years, wore it every day for 10 years and have put it away only to come out on special occasions, can’t face the thought of the servicing costs! And was always disappointed with the time keeping on automatics, so quartz it is now, just got a Marathon TSAR proper tool watch and very cool tritium and unlikely to see anyone else with one servicing should just be a battery every few years. And managed to get it before the price went up, a lot of watches have rocketed in price lately, guess that’s the brexit effect!

CaptainSlow

I went for an Oris ti divers watch with an auto movement. Looks nice and is worn daily. Starting to look a bit used now but then I do wear it to work or DIY/gardening/etc.

I went for Oris as all my colleagues were wearing omega, Rolex, tag etc. And I liked the look of it. Wasn’t too expensive either

Quite like iwc pilots but in all honesty am tempted most by an aw2 at the mo //stone him!//

The chap on the previous page stating his tag is boxed pending a £300 service. Send it to http://www.chealwatch.com/index.php

Reasonable, does a decent job. Repaired mine when I dropped it…

Alpha1653

Sinn 856 UTC

End of discussion

IvanDobski
    Free Member

That’s hideous and I quite like Sinn watches – I’ve a Yobokies Orient which is a similar style but a damn sight nicer.

Alpha1653

Each to their own.

vorlich
    Free Member

Seiko with a Pepsi Bezel

My dad’s old one, swapped the strap for something more understated. Poor photo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Suunto Core has way more features than all the jewellery listed on this thread. Plus, when it’s on your wrist, it marks you out as someone who’s seriously into their outdoor pursuits.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Random pic of my Yobokies Orient which is a similar style to some of the Sinns.

[/url]2015-11-05_03-11-21 by Ivan Dobski, on Flickr[/img]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plus, when it’s on your wrist, it marks you out as someone who’s seriously into their outdoor pursuits.

loddrik
    Free Member

When I get food poisoning, what comes out my arse is better quality than what Bremont produce. I can’t stand them.

Buy a used steel sports Rolex. You’ll never lose money on it.

wrecker
    Free Member

when it’s on your wrist, it marks you out as someone who’s seriously into their outdoor pursuits.

But an automatic marks you out as someone who can move their right wrist a LOT. Oh.

colp

I have a Seiko Astron SSE005
    It’s titanium, chunky, a bit blingy but I press a button wherever I am in the world and it sets itself to the local time in a totally cool way. It’s solar powered.
    I bet everyone on here will hate it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

onewheelgood

My older model Junghans ceramic still looks like new at 10 years old.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

My dad’s old one, swapped the strap for something more understated. Poor photo.

Not too sure that it was the strap that needed understating. If the OP wants a cheap diving watch they could look at an Apeks.

It appears that Bremont might be worth a punt as they’re worthless tat and not worth nicking.

vorlich
    Free Member

That’s tame compared to some in this thread!

jruk
    Free Member

‘Nice’ watches are great until you need to fix the little gits for innocuous incidents. Speaking as someone with a Seamaster and Calibre 16.

nickdavies

When I get food poisoning, what comes out my arse is better quality than what Bremont produce. I can’t stand them.

Perhaps you could just say you don’t like them? Hardly much truth in that statement… Nicely finished cases and movements on par with omegas non in house calibres. I’d wear a bremont.

OP a budget? Oris hard to beat at the budget end of a decent watch if you like their styles. If you don’t want to lose money look at second hand omega and Rolex. Avoid tag if resale value is a factor. Up from there just go and try loads on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Willy Waving a watch around is not what you are worried about when you are wobbly legged out of docks or lake

Willy waving in any scenario makes you a bit of a tool, no?

Loving the debate about what’s shite and what’s good… when it’s really just about brand snobbery and (horribly dull and I uninventive) looks.

wrecker
    Free Member

Many of Bremonts watches use a ETA 2892 base movement. The same base as used by the Omega planet oceans in fact……..

Saccades
    Free Member

MM300

Give us a style ffs, diver, pilot, office, haven’t garde etc.

Personally I’d stay away from ETA movements, clowns are trying to strangle all the smaller players out.

Fudd
    Free Member

The chap on the previous page stating his tag is boxed pending a £300 service. Send it to http://www.chealwatch.com/index.php

Reasonable, does a decent job. Repaired mine when I dropped it…

Erm… Chealwatch – “The Butcher of Rye”
    It’s irrelevant anyway as I believe ‘The Butcher’ has closed up shop now.

If the chap with the Tag wants it sorted for a fraction of the quoted cost then drop me an email, I might just know a guy 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Orient Black Mako. Superb value and great looking bit of kit.

lapdog
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned Schofield watches. Very cool British brand. Looking forward to the imminent release of their bronze beater mark 2!

cpon
    Free Member

Loddrik, share your personal experiences and tell us why you dislike the brand so much rather than just make up un-informed slanderous statements, seemingly about a company you know little about.

So far you’ve recommended a Planet Ocean for no other reason than you bought one, and a Rolex because they hold their value well. Recommending two of the worlds most famous watch brands isn’t particularly insightful.

cynic-al
    Free Member

haven’t garde

😀

CaptainSlow

Ooh thanks Fudd. Wasn’t aware of that. Got his recommendation off here too…

So….where does one send ones timepiece to be survived these days?

oink1
    Free Member

Omega Seaprof – daily wear and my favourite 😀 Expect £350+ every 4/5 years for service though.[url=https://flic.kr/p/NqruZh]IMG_1764[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr

kilo

I recently had my brietling serviced at Alsal watches in Holborn I wanted somewhere localish and they have a good rep and weren’t too expensive. It was its first service in 16 years so a positive for brietling automatics

PMK2060

Why do you need to get these expensive watches serviced? Surely they are just pieces of jewellery and you can use your mobile phone if you want to know the exact time?

Defender
    Free Member

+1 for Christopher Ward.
    The Trident is the classic diver/sports watch if that’s what you’re after?
    But there are lots of other styles to choose from.

Wally

JDM – Japanese Domestic Market seller, Seiyajapan.
    Creation watches for ideas
    Titanium tool watch review
    Enjoy researching.

Oris Carl-Brashear diver has several variants.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Posh watches ?’ is closed to new replies.