Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Posh people and pinky rings
  • reluctantlondoner

Why is it only posh people feel it is acceptable to wear signet rings on their pinky fingers?

I presume there is some significance that I as an absolute pleb don’t understand – like membership of the masons or something? Why do they do it?

Other things I have noticed about posh people:

* Posh women have unusually deep voices and thick hair
    * Posh folks of both sexes have lots of saliva in their mouths and frequently need to suck it back in when talking – why?
    * Most of them are very nice – if universally bonkers.

But the ring thing – what is that?

slowoldman

What makes it unacceptable? I mean any more unacceptable than wearing a ring on your thumb.

reluctantlondoner

No judgement – it is an acceptable choice – clumsy choice of words – I’m just curious as to how/why it’s become a thing?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought it was because their fingers get fat from fine dining and gout and such like so after a while that’s the only one the rings fit on.

reluctantlondoner

Where’s Captain Flashheart when we need him?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I thought signet rings were always historically worn on the little finger (I assume that’s what the ghastly Americanism means) since back when they were used for signing/sealing things.

NZCol

I was once told I was “one pinky ring short of an education” so there you go.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its a sign that one also sports a Prince Albert (NSFW if googled)

I thought it was because their fingers get fat from fine dining and gout and such like so after a while that’s the only one the rings fit on.

..and sometimes, they stop fitting on their (cough) little fingers too (oops, where’s the diet book)

jon1973
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

* oiky women have unusually screechy voices and lank hair
    * oiky folks of both sexes have lots of sores around their mouths and frequently need to lick them when talking – why?
    * Most of them are very nice – if universally oiky.

Seems legit.

globalti
    Free Member

While we’re on the subject, why do some people leave the nail on one little finger long? What’s that for?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Boogers

perchypanther
    Free Member

While we’re on the subject, why do some people leave the nail on one little finger long? What’s that for?

Nugget extraction, innit!

” I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of the purest green!”

senorj

One of my mothers many sweeping statements is, “never trust a man with a ring on his little finger”.
    She’s full of random little gems like that..ha.

Houns

The long pinky nail isn’t for nose picking it’s for snorting coke.

I have my Grandads signet ring that I’d like to wear but it looks daft on my skinny fingers

cornholio98
    Free Member

[/url]

Very common with people at work…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

.. you mean I am not allowed to wear my onyx ring in my pinky anymore? 😐

ads678

Isn’t there a picture of that fella in jon1973’s post with him wearing sandals and pumping some tyres up somewhere??

tang
    Free Member

I wear a signet ring on my little finger, although rebelliously on my right hand (favoured by the ladies). Don’t trust me with anything and I’ve not sealed any documents lately.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Other things I have noticed about proles…..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The single long nail on the little finger tends to be with Chinese people. It’s a sign of wealth. In the olden days rich people would have long nails on all fingers to signify that they don’t do any hard labour – they have servants for that. In today’s modern world those Chinese people who want to portray themselves to others as being wealthy keep one nail long.

They’re also handy for bogeys too.

surfer
    Free Member

“pinky” FFS

slowoldman

Long little finger nail is pretty good for ear wax too.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

bin dun… but I am still left wondering

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/signet-rings

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

bin dun… but I am still left wondering

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/signet-rings

Murray

Single long nail is also a Turkish thing to indicate wealth or so my Turkish Cypriot classmate told be back in the early 1980s.

barney
    Free Member

first born – signet ring on ring finger of right hand – stamping of seals and so on. Second born and on – little finger.

No reason that I know of; just what I was told as a nipper.

Go figure.

RustySpanner

Gentlemen, I am saddened once again by your inability to distinguish between social class and style.

The humble track suit, cut well*, combined with decent trainers, a hose and a dentist can give the lowest, skankiest speedfreak the semblance of humanity.

*Adidas, slight flare, Samba/Los Angeles.
    Diadora acceptable if you can successfully combine attending football matches with dealing.

Similarly, not all people in red trousers were sexually traumatised at minor public schools.
    Though if combined with a suspiciously new Barbour, check you have your wallet and run.

mudshark
    Free Member

Signet rings are worn on left little finger by right handed people as was used when sealing with wax. Presumably the lower classes didn’t do much in the way of sealing so doesn’t apply to them. I was given a signet ring with family crest for my 18th birthday, lost unfortunately so no more sealing for me.

CountZero

A mate has a long nail on one little finger, he’s a goldsmith, and uses it for scooping up precious stones, and other tiny bits of metalwork he’s working on.
    That’s a very job-specific thing, though.

CountZero

Oops, double post.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Posh people and pinky rings’ is closed to new replies.