Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Posh nosh in Leeds?
  • djglover
    Free Member

Need to take the Mrs out for a posh meal in Leeds. Any recommendations as to where is good please?

lapierrelady

Restaurant bar and grill in city square is good…great wine list

bearnecessities

If you can go to the outskirts (it actually counts as Bradford), and can handle veggie (bear with me!)…

Prashad’s in Drighlington. I am a total carnivore, but the food there is epic and you don’t miss meat. Service is just right and the prices are very sensible. Last time I went there, 3 courses for 2 with 2 bottles of good wine was under £70.

Really, very good.

*I am a Drighlington Resident*

djglover
    Free Member

Must be city city centre this time…

Crag
    Free Member

Prashad’s in Drighlington. I am a total carnivore, but the food there is epic and you don’t miss meat. Service is just right and the prices are very sensible. Last time I went there, 3 courses for 2 with 2 bottles of good wine was under £70.

£70 for an Indian when there’s Kamran’s not 200 yards up the road where you’d get the same meal for less than a tenner!!!

In fairness, everyone I know who’s been has said it is very good. And it’s a favourite of Gordon Ramsey so it must be good.

*Gildersome resident that sometimes ventures over the border

bearnecessities

£70 for an Indian when there’s Kamran’s not 200 yards up the road where you’d get the same meal for less than a tenner!!!

I love Kamrans! Excellent takeaway 😀

Must be city city centre this time…

Hmm..hate to say it, Jamies?

djglover
    Free Member

Needs to be posher than Jamie’s

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Lots of people rate Gaucho on Park Row, are you after a fine dining/dining room affair or a ‘nice’ restaurant?

djglover
    Free Member

Gaucho could be good, but certainly not ruling out the fine dining experience

bearnecessities

Dinner @ The Queens?

Not a great location, but food is excellent and nice surroundings.

Or, if you’re totally dedicated on flogging the wad; Graucho may fit your bill? Never been though myself.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

withersea
    Free Member

Bibis for Italian
    La grillade for French

anonymouse
    Free Member

I’ve not been but my better half has good things to say about Craft House in that new shopping centre.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

DJ, the thing about fine dining in Leeds is we all head out to the Box Tree for that, it would save you taxi money as well

withersea
    Free Member

Oh yes the box tree if you are splashing the cash, or the angel inn at heton and an overnight stay 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Gaucho looks good for food, but as with Bibis, which I have been to a few times with work, looks a bit footballers wifes for my taste, might have to head to burlington or box tree!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Leeds is not graced with great restaurants.

Wouldn’t touch the Box Tree in a month of Sundays, shocking in very way for the money.

Shame you want Leeds City Centre, what about the romance of Bradford City centre 🙂 can highly recommend the Russian Restaurant for a truly memorable night.

Burlington, as in Devonshire Arms? IMO best Michelin restaurant in the area. Was at the York Arms 2 weeks back, some food was stunning, some very disappointing.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

FunkyDunc, what happened at the Box Tree that you didn’t like? I’m not a regular by any means (wife’s birthday/anniversary) but it’s always been wonderful when we’ve been, only place I’ve experienced that was better was Bibendium in London.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be honest I haven’t been for about 4 years.

Service was poor for the standard of the place. Some food was cold, and they didn’t even apologies, just took it back and cooked further ( would really expect a new replacement). The flavours and textures were nothing special. At that price they dam well should be.

just to confirm York Arms, starter and main course stunning, dessert was straight out of the freezer and as though they don’t have a pastry chef.

angel in Hetton is yummy too.

Crag
    Free Member

Not particularly posh, but Arts Cafe on Call Lane is pretty good

ads678

Kendalls is meant to be very good.

Leeds has lots of very nice restaurants, what sort of food are you after?

crankboy
    Free Member

We are off to San Carlo tomorrow no idea what it will be like.Brasserie 44 was very nice when i last went. i have always been disapointed by the food at Bibis . Sous le nez is also very decent.

djglover
    Free Member

Yeah did the York arms a few months ago, fantastic place. Box tree has been great when ive been. Which is twice in last 18 months. We are in Ilkley and so there are some ok restaurants here. Service is usually patchy and there is no bar scene, hence the desire to head to Leeds

Leeds has lots of very nice restaurants, what sort of food are you after?

Open minded to that

Thanks for the other suggestions too

Kendalls looks good, thanks! could be just what I’m after..

lapierrelady

Viva is a good Italian, very good service, and they serve moretti

djglover
    Free Member

Anyone tried http://fazenda.co.uk?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Fazenda gets great reviews, never been myself but lots of friends rate it including folk who work in the trade; nice meat, cooked at the table including unusual cuts like chicken hearts (very tasty apparently). It’s on my wifes list of places I’m going spend money apparently.

el_boufador

Fazenda ain’t posh. it’s OK, but at the end of the day it’s an ‘all you can eat’.
    Kendalls by the BBC is very good. Been a couple of times. great atmosphere, great service, not fine dining but fairly posh.
    I don’t really like posh restaurants generally.

ton

foundry at the back of my local the cross keys.
    top nosh.

andy8442
    Free Member

The Alchemist in the Trinity is decent, but if you really want to push the boat out……there is The Mermaid on the A650 Morley. Excellent portions, buttered white or brown bread, and a pot of tea. Pop over to the Asda for dessert. See what’s on special offer in the ice cream fridge.

I’m a Yorkshireman…..what did you expect?

ton

and brasserie forty on the calls

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

El_boufador, is the kitchen in yet at your place? We’ve got a bit slack on night rides recently

craigxxl
    Free Member

Bibi’s is all glitz, crap service and average food. San Carlo’s puts it in the shade.

Kendall’s is nice too. Fazendas isn’t fine dining but my likes it there.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Kendall’s isn’t posh, but it’s charming and the food is bloody good.

mesh

Sous le Nez is nice, not sure if it’s really posh enough mind.

cold
    Free Member

Crafthouse at Trinity – probably the best posh nosh with surroundings and prices to match

ads678

Ambiente, tapas place on the calls (used to be river plate) is nice. We loved Viva when we wnt there, food is great and service fantastic. Choaphraya, Sukhothia, or Thai edge for Thai are all good. Thia cottage is great but NOT posh.

None fine dining but i prefer good food and atmosphere to too much pomp.

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve heard that it’s not necessarily as good as the original, but there’s a Casa Mia in Millenium Square, and if it’s half as good as the original it will still be pretty good.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Worked on the vent system at Restaurant, Bar & Grill and it was one of the cleanest kitchens I’ve ever worked in. I’ve worked in some proper sh1tholes that “good reputations”

john_drummer
    Free Member

lol @ The Mermaid!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is red chilli still open? Stumbled in there once while working in Leeds and was very impressed. Superb food, place full of people who looked to know a thing about eastern food as well.

CHB

San carlos every time. Going there on business next monday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Posh nosh in Leeds?’ is closed to new replies.