Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Portland(Bill in Dorset) – any knowledge of offroad/traffic free biking
  • gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

after soft, traffic free rides I can do with gf (*and she's not very quick at running away).
    Hsve done Hengisgtbury head – Poole along the prom and that was a good early morning bimble.

Any just seen railway walks on Portland, on maps it looks like there are no bridlways on the 'Bill'. From the tv prog it appeared to be easy chalk paths.

Anybody biked here, esp on obvious footpaths round coast, was it ok – any hideous surfaces/extensive stiles/silly gates etc etc, any anti bikey signs or NT/RSPB wardens jumping up and down etc etc.

Thanks

oldfart

Not tried myself but apparently you can ride round the coast .BUT you will encounter many obstacles including the human variety .

zomersetglider

ahh, Portlnd Bill…my old stomping ground. I used to live in Weymouth in the 90's and started mb'ing around POrtland on an old steel Claude Butler hardtail.

Don't expect anything spectacular, but if you ride/drive up to the top, before the road bends round to the left there begins the bridleway along West Cliff that's pretty much rideable down to the Bill (where the Lighthouse is). This is a fine trail that can riden at some speed as it's a slight ascent a lot of the way or alternatively can be riden at a nice sedate pace. Once you are at the lighthouse you can follow the coast path to the East which eventually ends up back on the road, after that it get's a bit confusing unless you are local but happy to talk you through it if you want to drop me a email.

N.Wood
    Free Member

Take up trials and ride on the rocks… One of the UKs best trials spots!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Portland(Bill in Dorset) – any knowledge of offroad/traffic free biking’ is closed to new replies.