Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Portible Power Packs
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Looking for some advice on a portable USB power pack to use for a long weekend’s bikepacking trip that is going to have quite a bit of night riding. My main requirement is to recharge lights and a Garmin – not fussed about the phone ‘cos that get switched off and is only there for emergency.

Without starting (another) thread about lights, I’m running a Cateye Volt 1600 on the bars and a Volt 800 on my helmet both of which have mini USB rechargeable batteries

Although the 800 uses a cartridge style battery and I’ve been carrying a spare battery as a quick “get out of jail” if all goes wrong for overnighters, but as I’m planning three nights out I’m now after is portable power pack that will charge both batteries and the Garmin, and possibly be able to provide an instant recharge if necessary without having to carry the spare.

What are other folks using?

Pieface

Anker batteries are available in a variety of capacities off Amazon. They have 2 USB outputs and can charge at 1 or 2 amps. You can’t charge the device (input) and other devices (output) at the same time though.

I think I got a 21000 ampere one for about £30 a couple of weeks ago

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a pebble. It’s nominally 13200mAh at 3.7V, I’ve not tested it but I suspect that means when charging something at 5V it actually drops to about 9800mAh. So it should (just) be able to charge both your lights as long as the charging circuits are reasonably efficient (google says those lights about 6800mAh and 3200mAh).

Be honest though, with three days of back to back riding, if you set off at dawn how many hours will you be riding in the dark? Riding for more than 16 hours a day?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangespyderman

As pieface, Anker are my go to brand for power packs, and quite a few friends have them too. They have pretty good customer support, even out of warranty.

BigJohn

I picked one up in Lidl for about a fiver. Trouble is, when I got it out of the box it’s called “Bomb!” and has cartoon bombs pictured on it. No way am I putting that through airport security.

mark90
    Free Member

Aldi had them on special buy last week I think it was, without the bomb logo.

cp

Ec technology, 22400mah, holds its charge for ages. No problems at all, works great. 22.99

Amazon

BadlyWiredDog

Expensive, but if you want something that doesn’t break after a few months, have a look at Goal Zero. They use proper top-end reputable branded cells rather than cheapo generics. Everything else I’ve used, including Veho and Power Traveller has died with regular outdoors use.

I guess it depends on what your budget is and how much hammer it’s going to get. Obviously there are lots of cheaper options out there and I’m not going to say nothing else will do the job, but if you want something dependable and the price doesn’t put you off, it’s good kit.

pnik

Ive had good experience of anker too. Got their 5v usb solar charger too, but that might be tricky to use on the move. I have run it on a backpack but walking around a festival, so less challenging environment, but could help if you have any daylight time stationary.

carlosg
    Free Member

I bought this Easyacc 26000mah before we went camping this year ,4 USB ports ,2 charging ports that can charge at 4amps/output at 4.8amps. There’s a built in torch that’s sufficient for wandering to the loo in the middle of the night. No complaints here it was great and saved leaving the car unlocked with the keys in while stuff charged.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Portible Power Packs’ is closed to new replies.