Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Portable "real" food for longer rides.
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

I did 50 miles of the SDW recently on a combination of nature valley bars and dried dates. Apparently my body isnt a fan of that udea (nauseau + foul arse).

I wondered what real food people were using for longer rides, since I’d like to do the SDW unsupported soon. Obviously it needs to be reasonably portable and easy to nosh.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I reckon blocks of spam would be good – seriously!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find the torq bars both palatable and good on the guts, same with cliff.

IHN

Sandwiches.

wombat

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches on granary bread.

Easy to eat, can be eaten if mis-shapen during transport, very tasty, high protien, carbs and a bit of sugar 8)

And pork pies naturally

jimdubleyou

Marmite sandwich for main course. Jam sandwich for pudding.

oldbloke
    Free Member

In the past I’ve stuck a little tuna mayo over pasta in a freezer bag so I could just squeeze bits out when I needed it. Tortilla wrap doesn’t go mushy like bread. flapjack rather than cereal bars. Too much dried stuff doesn’t really work for me as my stomach rebels. Anything soft which has some moisture content seems to work better, but everyone is different.

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    TooTall
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of using tortilla wraps for sarnies. Cream cheese + something and either rolled up or flat and cut up then in a plastic bag.
    Other fillings are available.
    Have you looked at other bars perhaps designed for sports?

thomthumb
    Free Member

big fan of wraps; with

refried beans
    peanut butter
    jam
    nutella.

combos of the above.

One of the nicest things i’ve eaten on a ride was lavash with lamb tagine: not the most potable; but the tastiest.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah tortillas/chipatis with peanut butter/banana/marmalade nom nom nom

And malt loaf nom nom nom

freeagent
    Free Member

The individually wrapped mini malt loaves are good (especially the banana ones)

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for tortilla wraps, I wrap in baking foil then put in a freezer bag.

For sweet stuff I take marzipan – you can just take a bite when you want without the remnants spreading throughout your rucksack as would happen with peanuts or similar.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

marzipan

Eeewww.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches on granary bread.

+1

And pork pies naturally

this man knows nutrition when he sees it.

chvck
    Free Member

This for me. Rice bakes, pasta bakes (although I’ve used them a bit much and they make me feel a bit ill now), rolled up sandwiches. Real food that you can roll smaller is a winner in my books.

mark88

+1 Feedzone portables. I like gels etc for short rides, but if I’m out for a few hours I need proper food.

brooess
    Free Member

Malt loaf and flapjacks (flapjacks preferably homemade with extra fruit and nuts for energy)

whitestone
    Free Member

@torsoinalake – it’s just ground almonds and sugar. I used it when ice climbing as it’s basically oil based so doesn’t freeze.

Strange isn’t it? I like peanuts but don’t like peanut butter (well I’ll eat a PB butty but wouldn’t make one out of choice).

As for anyone liking Marmite – that’s just weird and wrong.

Similar to Malt Loaf is Plum Loaf which despite the name doesn’t have any plums in it.

JAG

Malt loaf and flapjacks

This plus a banana works for me. Flapjacks provide a little crunch which I like 😆

jonba
    Free Member

So somebody already mentioned the feedstation portables book and rice cakes. That works really well.

Marzipan works, you don’t need to use egg whites, I’ve had success with just using water and a tiny amount of honey to bind it together.

Sandwiches.

Pork pies have seen me through many a long ride.

Nice potatoes – microwaved the night before, small amount of strong cheese in the middle. Fantastic savory snack and easy to carry and eat.

Potato cakes. Make a sandwich using a bit of cream cheese to stop them being dry. Cut in half is about right to eat in one go.

Flapjack – experiement as my friend makes a ginger one which is amazing.

Spanish Omelets.

There is a good video of how to wrap food using foil parchment. Creates a robust but easy to open package which makes some of the more unusual snacks easier to handle.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cold porridge made with not quite enough water, so it goes firm enough to chew – prefer it to hot 🙂

richardthird

A New discovery 🙂

M&S mini eccles cakes, packs of 6, perfect riding desert after mini Melton Mowbray pork pie main courses.

And half a pocket full of jelly babies.

porlus
    Free Member

Fig rolls.
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich.
    Nutella and marmalade sandwich.
    Already had peanut butter and jam.
    Jelly beans are great for a boost.
    Them elevenses cake bars are good. Chocolate ones taste nice.

mogrim

I did 50 miles of the SDW recently on a combination of nature valley bars and dried dates. Apparently my body isnt a fan of that udea (nauseau + foul arse).

You don’t necessarily need to give up on the artificial stuff if you don’t want to – I get that nausea feeling if I drink too much sports drink, but I’m fine as long as I stick to gels+water. It could just be a question of trying different stuff. I do like to have something savoury about 4 hours if it’s going to be a long day, though.

Keva
    Free Member
    hilldodger
    Free Member

Mini pork pies & scotch eggs 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

+1 on fig rolls (well they’re sort of real)

martinhutch

Pork Pie – a masterpiece of design. Cornish Pasty similarly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Half a baguette

Strong Cheddar

Nice Ham.

Thats why the central pocket in a Jersey is deeper

chakaping
    Free Member

Ham, cheese & pickle sarnies.

Pies seem like a good idea, but would you rather try to eat a squashed sarnie or a squashed pie?

ThePinkster

I’m a big fan of malt loaf and my home made flapjack solid rocket fuel.

Think millionaires shortbread but with a flapjack & raisin base. It is truly amazing. 😀

duffmiver
    Free Member

Ginsters cornish pasties. 2 for an epic ride.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Dates, but good ones, so Medjool dates.
    Malt loaf
    Bananas and other fruit
    Cereal bars

ironnigel
    Free Member

A lorra lorra votes for Malt Loaf. One word. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Indestructible. Waterproof. Withstands a huge temperature range. And. Is. Frankly. Delicious.

Flapjacks. Homemade. Make what YOU like. A solid gold calorie bomb.

Pepperami. See comments above re: malt loaf.

(Quietly surprised I was first with Pepperami.)

nemesis
    Free Member

Pepperami is lovely but real food it is not 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

duffmiver – Member
    Ginsters cornish pasties. 2 for an epic ride.

Pepperami. See comments above re: malt loaf.

(Quietly surprised I was first with Pepperami.)
    I think I’d have to be in the middle of an 80’s Oxfam ad in Africa to go for either of those as actual food. Certainly not real food.

benp1

I’ve not really done serious high intensity long rides, but on all day rides of a lower intensity, like bikepacking, I find flapjack to go down really well

I do a homemade version with seeds, nuts and peanut butter. Cut up into small chunks and then rolled in something so they don’t stick together (like smashed hob nobs or digestives). I can eat them out of a feed bag

Also things like marzipan oat rolls from ikea, mini elk salami from ikea, dark chocolate macaroons, eat nakd bars, chocolate M&Ms

But I think if I was doing something really high intensity like a rodie ride then I’m not sure how well my digestive system would cope

mrjmt
    Free Member

Mini pittas with cashew or peanut butter and jam.

Just the right size and tasty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Portable "real" food for longer rides.’ is closed to new replies.