Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Port forwarding – two devices want to use 80, what to do?
  • geoffj

I’ve got a ch controller (heat miser) and a d link nas, which can both be operated away from home.
    I’d originally setup a dynamic DNS service and port forwarding for the heat miser, but now I want to be able to use the nas too. Obviously I can’t forward the request to both, so how do I fix it?

Ta

tonyd

Can you change the port on the NAS box web server? So it runs on port 81 for example. Then have your router forward port 81 to the NAS and use port 81 when browsing (xx.xx.xx.xx:81).

Pretty sure the heatmiser won’t do it, we just had one fitted and it seems fairly basic. Although I only use the app so far (port 8068 IIRC). Actually, why not just use the heatmiser app on port 8068 and forward that port?

Flaperon

Some routers can do port translation, so you could have it listen on, say, 8090 and then forward that to port 80 on the thermostat. The BT Home Hub could definitely do it, because I encountered a similar problem a few years ago.

geoffj

Actually, why not just use the heatmiser app on port 8068 and forward that port?

That’s what I do, I was just wondering if there was a way I could use the web interface on port 80, too.

I could set my bookmarks to show a different port and then forward that – I’ll give it a go, thanks.

samuri
    Free Member

That’d be the way. Set up the client(s) to connect on a different port and then use the router to translate to the real port.

Note that some firewalls/proxies that you may find yourself behind won’t forward non-port 80/443.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Geoff, opening up your NAS for the world to see is a little risky. Once the open port has been found it will be bombarded with all sorts of people trying to hack it – is it really necessary?
    If I need a file from my network I use the file transfer function in TeamViewer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Port forwarding – two devices want to use 80, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.