• This topic has 306 replies, 103 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 307 total)
  • Porsche Macan
  • somouk
    Free Member

I went out in a Macan the other week as I was looking at one and was really disappointed.

It’s a Q5 underneath with some modifications to make it drive better. I’d looked at the Merc GLC about half an hour before the Macan and couldn’t help but think apart from the power the GLC was a better car all round. For the £20000 saving I will most likely go with the GLC or wait for the new shape SQ5 to appear.

stumpy01

They look much better in the flesh than in any pics I have seen.

Dunno anything about them, but I quite like them.

The anti-car/SUV sentiment on here makes me laugh….some of you seem so angry about everything….

bikebouy
    Free Member

That is a very handsome car.
    If I was going through my mid life crisis all over again, I’d have one.. probably in brown or that sublime golden bronze they do.

And the bronze one..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    freeagent
    Free Member

The anti-car/SUV sentiment on here makes me laugh….some of you seem so angry about everything….

+1.

I like the Macan – it would be on my shortlist if I had the means…

chief1409
    Free Member

The anti-expensive car sentiment on here is just the same as the anti-expensive bike sentiment. Totally unjustified.
    Someone has to pay for these expensive items so that the research costs for the new technology in them can be recouped by the firms, in turn allowing the technology to trickle down to the less expensive end of the market. You are *mostly* all driving cars / riding bikes that benefit from this trickle down effect so stop whinging when someone says they have a fancy bike/car. Small mindedness at its best!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I like the Macan – it would be on my shortlist if I had the means..

It is a very good looking car given the constraints of being a soft roader.
    I’d buy one if I could find a good one for a lot less than the new price.
    Are they small? They look small, and a smart,comfy, quick, small car is what I need…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Funny.

They’re not that small.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@somouk – is it correct that the onky GLC you can get in petrol is the AMG @ £48k ? I asume you where comparing a Diesel GLC with Diesel S Macan ? Price difference is more like £10k no ?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They’re not that small.

They look small.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It is a very good looking car given the constraints of being a soft roader.

Second hand prices where higher than new as wait list was 24 months, now “just” 3-9 depending diesel vs petrol.

As Shark says it’s not small and boot not bad

As for expensive remember there is £10k VAT on one helping to pay for schools and hospitals. I also pay £500 a year road tax for a car that does 3,000-,4000 miles.

prawny

I have no practical input as I’ll never buy one, but I would say that as far as the current trend in sporty crossovers goes they’re one of the best looking ones.

They’re about Tiguan sized aren’t they? (Experience of dodging both in traffic whilst riding my bike in Birmingham)

Houns

I’m not anti expensive cars, I am anti fugly ones and Porsche SUVs fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Cayenne certainly did, but not the Macan

jambalaya
    Free Member

Size – in external measurements they are only slightly smaller than a Cayenne, styling differences mean they look smaller and also do have less interior / boot as a result.

Tiguan size is a reasonable comparison I think.

The orignal Cayenne was a shocker, the new model looks pretty good imo

somouk
    Free Member

@somouk – is it correct that the onky GLC you can get in petrol is the AMG @ £48k ? I asume you where comparing a Diesel GLC with Diesel S Macan ? Price difference is more like £10k no ?

Yes, I was comparing diesels, I think the only GLC you can get in petrol is the GLC43 in AMG spec.

20k was an exaggeration granted but list prices start at about 7k difference for base models and I think if you went for similar powered top end cars the Merc was 48k and the Porsche 62k so 13k difference. Once you start looking at options that would probably grow further.

dragon
    Free Member

Me no like, if you are going down that route then I’d rather a Jaguar F-Pace.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@somo OK, was checking Merc website as you got my interest 🙂 I have never owned a Merc and historically have preferred Audi inc over BMW but Merc are heading in a direction I like. I have family who just bought an A-Class (got a decent discount on a 6 month old car) and a friend looking at a GLA. Both nice.

All said and done I’d sell my Cayman for a Macan but would rather have a cheap “bike car” than sell it for a Merc/Audi etc. Another reason I was cautious about Macan is I can’t see myself putting a ditry bike in the back

prawny

I have always thought Merc>BMW>Audi, but the new mercs are too blobby, yes I know they’re better now than they were but they’ve slipped to second purely down to looks.

They would have slipped to third as I’m liking the looks of the new Audis but to many are driven by knobs round this way.

larrydavid
    Free Member

The anti-expensive car sentiment on here is just the same as the anti-expensive bike sentiment. Totally unjustified.
    Someone has to pay for these expensive items so that the research costs for the new technology in them can be recouped by the firms, in turn allowing the technology to trickle down to the less expensive end of the market. You are *mostly* all driving cars / riding bikes that benefit from this trickle down effect so stop whinging when someone says they have a fancy bike/car. Small mindedness at its best!

Fair enough. Thanks to all those buying expensive cars, thanks. You’re making my life much, much better.

jimjam
    Free Member

prawny

I’m liking the looks of the new Audis but to many are driven by knobs round this way.

You must live round my way.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s irrelevant how expensive these cars are as most of the drivers don’t actually buy them, and those that do are not very clever. They’ll mostly be company cars or on a lease or PCP type deal. The car you drive is no indication of your wealth. I know people who are definitely not very wealthy at all and earn very average salaries, live in modest 3 bedroom semi’s, but drive around in very expensive cars. It’s all about the amount of credit you can leverage, and what sacrifices you’re prepared to make and what you are prepared to do without in the rest of your life.

rosscore
    Free Member

All this talk of Porsche on an Audi forum, must say I’m surprised. Have just been invited to the launch of something called a Panamera only this very lunchtime did I open the envelope. They must have mistaken me for me from a another life a long time ago on a planet far far away.

I’d never buy a Porsche again if I live forever. T5 man me.

jimmy

I’m liking the looks of the new Audis but to many are driven by knobs round this way.

Oh you mean like the princess who pulled out on me last night?

sharkbait
    Free Member

most of the drivers don’t actually buy them, and those that do are not very clever.

Explain. [as far as I’m aware, unless you actually buy the car yourself, you’re still borrowing money and that costs more]

I know people who are definitely not very wealthy at all and earn very average salaries, live in modest 3 bedroom semi’s, but drive around in very expensive cars.

I think these are the people that are not so clever.

tonyg2003

All this talk of Porsche on an Audi forum, must say I’m surprised 😀

somouk
    Free Member

They’ll mostly be company cars or on a lease or PCP type deal. The car you drive is no indication of your wealth. I know people who are definitely not very wealthy at all and earn very average salaries, live in modest 3 bedroom semi’s, but drive around in very expensive cars.

Might I ask what it matters if they choose to have a small house and more expensive cars? Is there some formula I am unaware of that links the two purchases?

Realistically as well it doesn’t matter whether the car is leased, PCP’d or paid for with cash, you’ve still had to stump up a fair wedge of your own cash to get in to a vehicle like that, whether you chose to buy that car as an extension of your personality or as a tool is a different matter.

Peyote
    Free Member

I think these are the people that are not so clever.

Nah, they just have different priorities…

…ones that I don’t understand or empathise with at all, but I’m sure they justify it to themselves one way or another. You gets your kicks where you can and all that.

iainc

I know people who are definitely not very wealthy at all and earn very average salaries, live in modest 3 bedroom semi’s, but drive around in very expensive cars have a shedful of very expensive pushbikes, probably costing much more that the average car would cost

FTFY 🙂 …each to their own..

aracer
    Free Member

The spurious comparisons with owning expensive bikes always gets trotted out – one year of depreciation on an expensive car would buy you a couple of expensive bikes. Those with a shedfull of them have probably bought them over many years during which the car owners have bought several cars. There is no realistic comparison in terms of pissing money away.

I own several expensive (when originally bought) bikes – even if you add what I’ve also spent on cars it’s still less than what most people spend on boring ordinary cars.

plus-one

I seen one painted bubble gum pink on west side of Edinburgh the other day 😯

Must be custom ? Unless it’s an option on order 🙄

RustySpanner

I like cars.
    And the engineers, designers and companies that make cars better.

But a sporty SUV is a poorly conceived compromise dreamt up to fulfill the narcissistic fantasies of those who know or care nothing about engineering and design.
    No decent, genuine automotive engineer would built something so pointless or crass unless the market demanded it.

I’ve nothing against expensive cars, or bikes.
    But I do hate ugly cars that wear their inefficiency and awful design compromises as a badge of pride.

Owning one says, to me, that the driver values image over substance.
    Not a quality I find attractive in people.

Perhaps that’s why no one, apart from the owners, seems to like them.

Just my opinion.
    And I’m not angry btw.
    🙂

mogrim

But a sporty SUV is a poorly conceived compromise dreamt up to fulfill the narcissistic fantasies of those who know or care nothing about engineering and design.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that engineering springs from what the client wants – be it a bridge, fighter plane, SUV or kettle. A design brief, cost and functionality, and go for it. Marketing says a sporty SUV is what’s needed, and an engineer builds it and a designer makes it look desirable.

You want purity of purpose do maths or arts.

allthepies
    Free Member

Autoexpress hated it.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan

No, actually they loved it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Surprised it’s not already been mentioned, but I suggest you get the optional indicators.

What’s the point?, he won’t use them.

johnners
    Free Member

Marketing says a sporty SUV is what’s needed, and an engineer builds it and a designer makes it look desirable

Then it’s back to marketing to make some punters think buying one’s a good idea.

timc
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    No decent, genuine automotive engineer would built something so pointless or crass unless the market demanded it.

I’ve nothing against expensive cars, or bikes.
    But I do hate ugly cars that wear their inefficiency and awful design compromises as a badge of pride.

Owning one says, to me, that the driver values image over substance.
    Not a quality I find attractive in people.

Perhaps that’s why no one, apart from the owners, seems to like them.

Just my opinion.
    And I’m not angry btw.

watch this M2 v Macan Turbo

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That fat bloke makes the M2’s seat look a bit flimsy…

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with you and have made similar arguments, but it doesn’t stop marketing led engineering being a bit shit.

agent007
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner hits the nail on the head. In my limited experience, sporty SUV’s seem to be driven almost entirely by narcissistic, selfie and status obsessed school mums or WAG wannabes, or the just retired smaller stature male suffering from a good dose of ‘angry small man syndrome’. Just my observations though from round this way so in no way a representative national sample 😆

Steve77
    Free Member

SUVs are just cars that optimise for things like being able to see over other cars, ease of getting in and out, or ground clearance, rather than fuel economy or ease of parking etc. Nobody says an estate car is ‘poorly designed’ just because you can only see the arse of the car in front through the windscreen. All car designs are ‘compromised’.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 307 total)

The topic ‘Porsche Macan’ is closed to new replies.