Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Porsche 944 on eBay. Poor bloke.
  • beaker

I want to to bid on it…. Thanks for posting that!

oldnpastit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah cheap, old car that needs lots of very hard to find expensive parts to maintain in unreliability shocker!

(Yes I’m still in a stinker of a mood).

It’s a funny write up, but not a great car.

If you want a cheap, red, slow Porsche to bore your other middie suffering mates with, get a 924, they’re cheaper to run and are less sheep in wolfs clothing without the Group B esq box arches, if you want a 944 get a turbo or series 2 3.0 16v, or better still a 968

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats a cracker :mrgreen:

beaker

@pjay…. You sound like you know what you’re talking about? Any personal experiences of Porsche ownership?

grahamt1980

Would it be cruel to buy it and split for parts?

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Beaker

I’ve pinned after a 968 Sport, Club Sport or an 944 S2 16v for 20ish years but in the few times when I had the money from a bonus I didn’t have the space, when I had the space I didn’t have the money and well now I have neither.

Mate had an S1 Lux, it wasn’t very fast and broke down a lot and cost fortunes to repair and interior was pretty nasty and screamed 70’s plus they just don’t seem to get the TLC through their lives the 911s got so they all seem to come with gremlins.

Now I’m heading towards middle age myself and with the eldest starting school soon I might soon have some spare money again, I’ve been day dreaming about these ‘cheap’ 996s you read about – they were as low as £10k at one point for a roughish one and they’re light years ahead of the 80’s car in reliability, or an early Cayman but it’ll never happen, the car I dream about for my middie is always the one I could never afford.

jamesoz

I’ve owned 3 944s, the early one like in the ad was the most fun when working correctly. I currently run an 86 turbo with a 3 litre 968 bottom end and shorter ratio gearbox. It goes like stink but looks like crap, it’s a 160mph oil leak in gloss/Matt black.

Sandwich

with the eldest starting school soon I might soon have some spare money again

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    draws breath
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not the greatest of Porsches at the best of times. You’d be far better off spending more money on something else.

I have a 2007 Cayman S, its like new but then I have been OCD with it. Fabulously well made. I am biased but they are the pick of the range £ per pound in my mind.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Brilliant. Cheers for that. 😆

jamesoz

To be fair my 86 turbo is 30 years old has no airbags, no traction control, no abs, but insurance is less than two tanks of super unleaded and I can work on it myself. It prob costs as much to run as a Cayman but I can get two bikes in the back and it spits fire.

jambalaya
    Free Member

8)

Northwind

I cross-referenced the work I’d already had done against endless forum postings, occasionally finding a snippet of something sensible, only for the post to deteriorate into irrelevant oily posturing and arguments about the pronunciation of Porsche …

He posted on here didn’t he.

ctk
    Free Member

Spent 3k on repairs plus what he paid for it.

timber

He got the wrong one.
    We had an S2 for power without complication. Handled well with a good level of grip and weight to the controls.
    Did a couple of big jobs (belts and PaS), but still broke even 18 months later when we sold it to get the next toy car, mostly by getting the right one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had an ’97 944 turbo as an all year round daily runner for 5 years. Never missed a beat, most reliable car I owned. I sunk some cash on ‘upgrades’ but fundamentally cost less to run than my SMax. Obviously not that fast compared to modern day hot hatches, but far more fun to drive than any hot hatch/fwd hatch i’ve ever driven. They were a far better car than the 911 of the day – handled better, were faster in turbo and S2 guise, and more reliable. As Porsche originally designed the 924 for VW for an new affordable coupe, but VW ultimately went for an in-house cheaper (and inferior) option for what became the Scirocco, Porsche designed the car from the VW parts bin so most parts are still freely available. In fact I found parts were pretty cheap – mostly VW parts, but even for genuine Porsche parts they were quite cheap from the Porsche dealer network as they usually offered big discounts on genuine parts. After being shunned by VW Porsche reckoned the 924 platform was the future for Porsche and we then got the 928 which was intended to be the 911 replacement, but it was never to be. Just as well because the modern version of the 911 is an awesome car by any measure and a testament to Engineering and sticking with a non-ideal platform and making it work and competitive. It’s nice in this modern world to have something that is a bit quirky and different form the boring, plethora of conventional mid-engined sportscars that are all fundamentally the same apart from the exterior shape.

So to say the humble 924/944 was not the greatest of Porsches of all time is a bit disingenuous. Like the Boxster and Cayman of the current day range, the 944 was never intended to mix it up with the 911 of the day or any car in that segment, they were intended to be cheaper, entry level sports cars to break Porsche into the mass market. So to that aim they were very good cars and very successful and the format was copied by a number of other manufacturers, but were never designed and intended to be in competition with the 911 – just like the Boxster and Cayman of the current range – both excellent cars but designed to sit within a certain market segment.

ticsmon

Brilliant

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wobbliscot thanks for that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Porsche 944 on eBay. Poor bloke.’ is closed to new replies.