Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Pork, does anyone really like it ?
  • psling
    Free Member

I grew up in a house where pork was never cooked. Bacon, gammon, etc., no problem. My father couldn’t deal with the smell of pork cooking, bad memories from the war, never did discuss it 🙁

Me, I love a nice pork steak cooked with apple and cheese, mmmm.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yes. Anything from a pig for me thanks

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But the fat is sooooooooooooo good!

atlaz
    Free Member

Get yourself down to St Johns in London. They serve up pretty much every part of the pig and it’s all really tasty from its face all the way to its insides.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pork crackling is the stuff of the gods but bellies are just sooooo fatty I can’t eat them on anything other than the BBQ.

higgo
    Free Member

Mmmmmm…. pork chops cooked in milk and lemon.

We know a good trade butcher (does a lot of ‘high end’ restaurants) and get pork loins from him every so often. He splits this into three roasts, chops and the tenderloin for us. It cannot be beaten on a tastyness/£ measure. Streets apart from the rubbish sold by supermarkets (but that’s true of pretty much all meat). Apparently it’s down to gender – he only sells ‘gilt’ (female) pigs that put weight on less quickly than the males.

Hohum
    Free Member

Hmmm, Char siu.

Makes me wish I was Chinese.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

My mum cooks a fantastic balsamic roast pork, with glazed apples.

It’s the food of the gods. Great big lardy, immobile gods. That’s why she only does it occasionally…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I had pork belly and cheek at the weekend, very very nice.

My mother does the most revolting pork chops though, cooked through to cardboard.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Does anyone eat pork very slightly pink? I do chops that way now to retain some moisture and I’m yet to be ill.

oldgit
    Free Member

joolsburger, you’ll be fine. I’ve scraped mould off black pudding and cooked it.
    Cheap pork chops tenderised and done in G Foreman are very nice.

IdleJon

joolsburger – Member
    Does anyone eat pork very slightly pink? I do chops that way now to retain some moisture and I’m yet to be ill.

Apparently the reason for cooking pork to within an inch of it’s life was because pigs had lots of wormy type parasites in the meat.

These days the wormy type parasites aren’t an issue so pork is not going to make you ill.

binners

Best thing to do with pork:

Get some nice pork escalopes. Cut them up and Brown them in a pan with some onions.

Mix in some flour to soak up the juices

Pour in a pint of cider (either a nice organic Stowford Press if you’re a ponce. Strongbow or even White’n’Frightening will suffice just as well, if you’re not). Leave to cook for 45 minutes

Serve with spring vegetables and more cider (again: either a nice organic Stowford Press if you’re a ponce. Strongbow or even White’n’Frightening will suffice just as well, if you’re not)

poppa
    Free Member

Pork is like sex; if you’re not enjoying it then you’re doing it wrong.

organic355
    Free Member

Jamie oliver Sweet and sour pork.

Nom Nom, and indeed, Nom

http://www.yumsugar.com/Jamie-Oliver-Recipe-Sweet-Sour-Pork-8647931

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m sitting here eating the biggest ham sandwich you can imagine. Ham from the butchers. OM NOM NOM NOM!

glenh
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

Apparently the reason for cooking pork to within an inch of it’s life was because pigs had lots of wormy type parasites in the meat.

These days the wormy type parasites aren’t an issue so pork is not going to make you ill.

The french certainly eat rare pork. I don’t think it’s much of an issue these days, since the animals get given plenty of ‘medicines’.

Stoner
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Saturday mornings: Douwe Egbert’s “Intense” strength 5. Fresh “plait” soft roll from Sainsbury’s with butter, ketchup and crispy “Taste the Difference” bacon. 3 rashers.

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

IdleJon

Interesting that in answer to the original question every single post (I think) has included recipes which disguise the flavour of the pork itself! 🙂

For myself, I like pork occasionally but it is really my least favourite meat, although bacon and ham are near the top of the list.

Reading this thread earlier did make me hungry enough to cook grilled pork chops with apple sauce and wensleydale, with a variety of veg, roast pots and onion gravy. 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

some violent NOMing going on here. where do i sign up?

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!me loves piggymeat, its the biggest thing i miss with my new change of diet… 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Isn’t that why a lot of Northern European crappers have the shelf to dump on – so you can give it a quick inspection for worms etc. before flushing it down the hole?

yunki
    Free Member

I sold a fat girl a tapeworm of mine once.. and I also woke up in someones garden in a sleeping bag with the remains of a hogroast..

Pork is flippin ace.. I cannot resist it and I’m a Jewish Rasta.. hogroast is king..

CountZero

No. Occasionally eat ham, and sometimes a sausage roll or toad in the hole, but given a choice, no. Steak sometimes, never offal, lamb only if it’s a kebab.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Whenever I see a pig I think, ‘Nom Nom Nom’ Had some belly pork off the cheap counter at Morrisons last week. Could almost feel my arteries blocking but….I didn’t even care.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Happy pigs = tasty pigs!

I rather like the ones that are farmed around the Test Valley area by many decent farmers. Especially if bought from Robinson’s in Stockbridge. Happy pigs. Top nommage.

chiefgrooveguru

Confit pork belly! Not too often though…

Bacon (dry cured!), good sausages, all those cured sausages of which there are so many, and of course proper ham!

Roast pork with crackling is amazing when done well but so often the meat is dry and tough and the crackling doesn’t.

br
    Free Member

Pork was (developed world) seen as a ‘dirty’ meat – my Dad still won’t choose it if there isn’t an ‘r’ in the month.

rob2
    Free Member

I like the word pork.

Its a odd word.

What I don’t get is why isn’t it called pig? Same as why isn’t beef called cow?

Stoner
    Free Member

For example, beef is related, through borrowing, to modern French bœuf, veal to veau, pork to porc, and poultry to poulet. All these words, French and English, refer to the meat rather than to the animal. Words that refer to farm animals, on the other hand, tend to be cognates of words in other Germanic languages. For example swine/Schwein, cow/Kuh, calf/Kalb, and sheep/Schaf. The variant usage has been explained by the proposition that it was the Norman rulers who mostly ate meat (an expensive commodity) and the Anglo-Saxons who farmed the animals. This explanation has passed into common folklore but has been disputed

wait4me

Had slow, slow roasted shoulder for Sunday lunch. Plenty left for Mondays butties. Made crusty rolls smeared with leftover thick tasty gravy and English mustard. It felt so wrong but tasted so right!

verses

Is anyone else sat in a pool of drool after reading this thread?

OP excepted obviously…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread inspired me to have a sweet cure bacon and black pudding baguette for breakfast this morning. B E A U tiful!

cheese@4p

So, not much support and sympathy for the poor OP then!!

I love pork too

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Pork, does anyone really like it ?’ is closed to new replies.