• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Porch and Hallway light not working- ideas?
  • hora
    Free Member

Just the Porch and hallway light are no longer working. Checked the fusebox and changed bulbs. Ideas?

wwaswas

multimeter and check there’s power to the switch and lamp holders.

woody2000

HindlePie
    Free Member

Take the front off the switch and touch the red/brown wire quickly. What happens?

hora
    Free Member

You bloody sparkys’ really do live on the edge – surely one of those screwdriver/power things will suffice 😉

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/electricians-tools/voltage_tester/B-and-Q-Voltage-Tester-White-12758713?noCookies=false

Will do tonight. If there isn’t power at either end its a nibble wire under the floorboards isn’t it.

midlifecrashes

Better than having to take fronts off to expose live contacts, get one of these, hold it next to wire to see if live.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Voltage-Detector-90V~1000V-Tester/dp/B004B9C7N4/ref=sr_1_4/278-0092266-1657069?ie=UTF8&qid=1392291111&sr=8-4&keywords=volt+stick

richi
    Free Member

okay im a electrician so i will help you out pal, you would be better off with a multi meter but a neon screw driver will do. Dont bother with the volt stick as you will have to disconnect cables to get it to work properly.

Okay so nothing happend to make them go faulty ie putting up picture etc? If not it just sounds like a lose connection.

First drop both light fittings and with the power on and light switch turned on see if you have any power at either of the light fittings by touching it on the reds/browns.

If there is no light on the neon this means there is no power going to the light fitting thats working and drop it to look for a lose connection to re energize the lights that arent working.

If there is power at the light has one light got more cables say two black/blue 3 red/brown and 1 red/brown on its own and the other has 1 b/b 2 r/b 1 r/b the problem will most prob be at the one with more cables.

With the power switched of give all the cables a pull, hopefully one will just fall out and thats your problem. If all is tight in both i would do the same at your light switchs in case they where switch feed.

hope this helps. Dont think its vermine because it would be tripping all the time instead of not working

gd luck

Pook

Pull your trousers down and see with the sun that shines out of your arse

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Had the same thing in a bedroom ceiling light.

Turned out to be a loose connection in the roofspace. The charlatans that rewired the lights before I bought the place TAPED the wires together. They didn’t even use chocolate blocks.

I kid you not.

colster808
    Free Member

I’m a electrician and plus one for loose connection.

Use a proper voltage tester rather than a multi meter or neon screw driver. Test between live and earth then between live and neutral. If you’ve got power between L & E but none to N then there is a loose neutral some where in the circuit. Probably at the next working light in the circuit. I you have no power at all at the none working lights then the feed live is loose again probably at the next working light. If you have power but no switch live then it’s fallen out the back of the switch. If in doubt get a friendly electrician to pop round as probably wouldn’t take long and would cost you less than the price of a decent voltage tester.

Hope this helps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Turned out to be a loose connection in the roofspace. The charlatans that rewired the lights before I bought the place TAPED the wires together. They didn’t even use chocolate blocks.”

I also had this ….. had to rewire the whole place for piece of mind – found a miriad of other horrors while doing so.

as for hora…. you probably let all the smoke out your wiring – they never work the same after that.

hora
    Free Member

as for hora…. you probably let all the smoke out your wiring – they never work the same after that.

Are you a German comedian?

I’m going with the porch first if its lose wiring- this only happened with the bad weather and the porch has one side that needs new wood/has a gap with an old wasps nest in.

Will check the electrics this weekend – cheers 🙂

HindlePie
    Free Member

What you need is a Sparky mate who likes to be paid with beer

hora
    Free Member

What you need is a Sparky mate who likes to be paid with beer

Oh hello 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Think I’ve found the issue. Bolt on black wire loose

Will do tomorrow when its not live

http://www.flickr.com/#/photos/30625376@N06/12569033375/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Porch and Hallway light not working- ideas?’ is closed to new replies.