Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Pop Will Eat Itself making a comeback!
  • Stoner
    Free Member

BEAVER PATROL!

kayak23

Senser!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Were shit the first time.

jamj1974

🙂

LeeW

I saw them last year at the Robin 2. Meh.

colournoise

Fuzz getting some time off from fixing old cars?

kilo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Were shit the first time.

This x1000

darrell
    Free Member

this x 1000000

sillyoldman

With Nobeer, kilo and Darrell.

RustyNissanPrairie

Another comeback? Saw them a few years ago at Manchester uni when they reformed – a bit shouty/rubbish compared to their brilliant original line up with Cliff Mansell

mattbee

I loved them at the time but I’m not sure I’d be that bothered about seeing them again. I’d rather remember the last gig of theirs I saw back in the mid ’90s at the Wulfrun in Wolvo with Blaggers ITA & Senser.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I got a bit excited there for a minute……until I realized Clint wasn’t going to be there.
    No Clint means no PWEI for me.

allan23
    Free Member

Saw them last year at Infest in Bradford and they were bloody awful.

It’s a bit like a sh!t covers band now.

Jamie
    Free Member

I used to like the artwork and t-shirt designs, which was done by Designer’s Republic who did most of Bleep/Warp stuff.

Band were meh.

Hasn’t Clint Mansell done well tho, eh?

DezB
    Free Member

Saw em a few times back in the day,they were a laugh… but picture 5 middle aged blokes in baggy shorts leaping around shouting “Beaveerr Patrol!” er, no thanks. 😐

whippersnapper
    Free Member

PWEI was my my first gig, Hatfield Forum in 1993. Happy days. Don’t fancy seeing them now with their new stuff but Senser could be good, never saw them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ugly.

DezB
    Free Member

Thing is though… the market for 80s comebacks is massive. Friend of mine went to a festival with Tony Hadley, Nick Heyward, Imagination, etc playing. Ugh! But I guess if there’s an audience for the old pop shite, there must be an audience for the indie stuff too…
    All these people who lost interest in music wanting to regain/relive/revisit (whatever the hell it is) their lost youth. Personally, nothing makes me feel older than hearing how old the music I used to listen to sounds!

anagallis_arvensis

Poppies without Clint…no thanks.
    The music may not have aged well but they were properly ahead of the times back in the day.
    Clint has done alright since too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Love the Poppies and think they’re really underrated – perhaps understandably if people have only really heard Beaver Patrol.

But This is the day… has stood the test of time so well, great tunes, lyrics & hugely inventive use of samples. Not cool, but that’s part of the appeal.

No Clint means no PWEI for me.

But +1 to this.

BTW, has anyone made a better footy-related tune than this?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWu7Ejm_TM[/video]

giantalkali
    Free Member

More about the t shirts than the music to be honest

sbob
    Free Member

Senser could be good, never saw them.

Also playing Bedford Esquires 9th Dec with Credit to the Nation and Collapsed Lung. 😀

edlong
    Free Member

compared to their brilliant original line up with Cliff Mansell

Cheers, that saved me spending any more time looking into this – I’m out.

FWIW I think they did some good work BITD, well hidden behind the early puerility. Thinking about the state of the place and how it’s changed in the last few years, I think Ich Bin Ein Auslander sounds particularly prescient.

dragon
    Free Member

I was a big PWEI fan back in the day and they were a bit ahead of their time. However, most of their stuff has dated massively and sounds awful now. Although just having a listen back to the Industrial Rock sound of the likes of Cape Connection and Everything’s Cool (& the Youth remix) sound decent enough still IMO.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Colourbox made a better footie tune with their ‘World Cup Theme’ in 1986.
    PWEI were a close second though.

sbob
    Free Member

Eat my goal!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/Cz-XiweyDVs[/video]

Featuring none other than Mr B the gentleman rhymer. 🙂

brassneck

No Clint? The Poppies say Grrrr….

My first kiss with wifey was to Defcon One… still not going to this 😀

maycontainnuts

Saw them a couple of years ago, having always missed them back in the day. Dreadful.

anagallis_arvensis

My first kiss with wifey was to Defcon One… still not going to this

Not the Wedding Present?

Jamie
    Free Member

Not the Wedding Present?

That was my first thought, then realised it’s probably not given the unromantic nature of the song.

gordimhor

Get the girl Kill the baddy Save the planet
    [video]https://youtu.be/mE3w9lzLeeE[/video]

CountZero

Never did get the appeal of PWEI, the Weddows or any of the ‘baggy’ crowd of that sort of period. Just had no context or relevance to me at all.

geoffj

Thing is though… the market for 80s comebacks is massive. Friend of mine went to a festival with Tony Hadley, Nick Heyward, Imagination, etc playing. Ugh! But I guess if there’s an audience for the old pop shite,

Rewind festival at Scone Palace, Perth. Weekend just gone.
    If you think the acts look / sound rough you should have seen the crowds. 😡

brassneck

Never did get the appeal of PWEI, the Weddows or any of the ‘baggy’ crowd of that sort of period. Just had no context or relevance to me at all.

Never mind, there’s always the Billy Cotton Band Show

As it happens, I think Kennedy might have been the next track but I’d lost interest in the music a bit by then

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really liked PWEI back in the day, but without Clint Mansell, there’s not much point, is there?

It’s like The Prodigy without Liam Howlett.

sc-xc

Well, I’ve got my tickets.

First saw the poppies in ’90 – coming from near Stourbridge it was easy enough to get swapped along in the whole Stuffies/Neds/Poppies thing.

Saw them a few times BITD, kind of lost interest when Fuzz joined.

Saw the Reformation gig in ’05 at the Hummingbird, the last time I saw Clint play with them.

Saw them a couple of years back at a festival. It was only Crabbi, with Mary Byker doing Clints bits. I agree it was a bit of a tribute act.

I hear that Rich is coming back for these gigs…along with the drummer from Leftfield’s live shows.

I also loved Senser – saw them a load of times. I used to have a major crush on Kirsten…

scruff
    Free Member

Senser were very good back in the day. IMO that music was very much of its time and just seems shit now. Have poppies or Senser written anything recently?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Pop Will Eat Itself making a comeback!’ is closed to new replies.