Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pop-up tents – the family sized ones – anyone tried them?
  • Obi_Twa
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/seconds-base-4-2-74200814/

We have a huge family tent as it is but it is a pain in the arse to pitch. Anyone tried one of these?

giant_scum
    Free Member

Got one use it for work mostly.
    Pitches in about 2mins max and goes away in about 5mins. used it in some fairly bad weather at the end of April and had no problems with it!
    The bag it goes in is fairly large and it is quite heavy.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I bet that tent would be useless if it gets windy!

giant_scum
    Free Member

Spongebob it was windy and snowing when we pitched it in April, once the guy ropes are pegged it's going nowhere!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

that looks ace.

samuri
    Free Member

Family next to us had one at one camp site.
    We got there about two hours before them and I had just finished putting our massive tent up when they arrived, bloke threw it out of the car, opened the bag and two minutes later it was up. I was very impressed.

When they left, it went away just as quick. The only issue I could see with one is drying it out once you get home but I presume you just wait for a dry day and pitch it in the back garden.

davesmum
    Free Member

I've not got one, but was looking at one in Decathlon the other week – they are pretty cool!

I've got a 2 man decathlon pop tent which has been very good for car style camping, fingers crossed that it will withstand Glasto in a couple of weeks time! 😀

edhornby

bear in mind they are single skin so definitely keep away from the walls as rain/condensation/dew will soak through, other than that, should be good

falkirk-mark

bear in mind they are single skin so definitely keep away from the walls as rain/condensation/dew will soak through, other than that, should be good

Are you sure about that

WaterproofingAs with all Quechua tents, a lot of work is put in to ensuring they are watertight, through laboratory testing (an ENTIRE TENT is put through 200 litres/hr/sq m!) and field testing. (PU-coated polyester flysheet, 120 g/sq m polyethylene groundsheet, fully thermo-bonded taped seams). NB there is a breathable polyester inner tent under the flysheet that prevents naturally-occurring droplets of condensation from touching the inside of the flysheet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

favourable pricing on ebay ….

looking at one for my van.

cheapest (non quecha ones you get in millets) are single skin …

quecha ones seem to be good , advise upgrading the pegs/learn to peg propper – watched one take off into the raasay sound in a force 9 – oops – my tent was fine 😉

giant_scum
    Free Member

The sitting area is single skin but the sleeping bits are double skinned, they are fixed into the tent at all times no need to remove them when putting it away.
    I think it is a great tent. The look on other campers face's when you arrive and then 5 minutes later you are pitched and the kettle is on is worth the price of the tent alone!

aP
    Free Member

We've used out Qeucha 2Second tent for about 5 years now – it's stood up to a fair bit of weather which collapsed other tents and gazebos.
    Last year we bought the Basesecond which plugs onto the front of the 2second tent. Used it a couple of times and its pretty good – waterproof, pretty easy to put up, robust, although I aways seems to struggle putting it back down again…

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Bought one for £150 the other day. Spent some nights up in Fort William with it and it is grand. I suspect that its ease of pitching and taking down will encourage us to go camping a hell of a lot more which can only be a good thing. Wish I'd bought one sooner.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pop-up tents – the family sized ones – anyone tried them?’ is closed to new replies.