Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Poorly Doggy :(
  • teenrat

Last week, my best friend was not himself, didnt want to go for walks and was weak/lethargic. After blood tests/scans, he had a surgery to remove his spleen and spleenic tumour. He also had tests on his liver and the removed tumour. A couple of days ago, the first tests came back and showed no problems with his liver – all good we thought. However, yesterday, the second test results showed that the tumour was a Hemangiosarcoma. The prognosis isn’t good. Reckon we’ve got a max of two to three months before we have to make that fateful journey. Chemo is an option, and may prolong his life by a few months, but really we dont want to put him through intensive treatment for what is s relatively short extension to his life. ( has anyone else put their dog through chemo therapy)? I just hope that he is one of the 10% of dogs who can survive this horrible disease for upto a year without treatment.

At the moment he is happy, and blissfully unaware of what is to come. We just have to make sure that we spoil him rotten in the short time we have left with him.

2016 has been a s**t year so far.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our 14 year old staffie cross has shadows on his spleen. He has bad days, but mostly good ones at the moment. We really aren’t looking forward to having to make that decision somewhere down the line. I don’t envy you but you do have my sympathy.

Spoil him rotten and be grateful that he’s blissfully unaware.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Oh awful. People who have never owned a dog will never understand how much they become part of your life, and how ridiculously attached you get to them. Sorry for your bad news. I think it’s kinder to end it when their quality of life suffers, and not put them through prolonged treatment that makes them suffer. They won’t understand why you’re doing it. I hope I can go the same way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

ridiculously powerfully attached you get to them

I know what you meant but there’s nothing ridiculous in it.

OP tough times, there was another thread recently. My parents won’t consider another dog, their Spaniel is getting aged, as they are afriad the new dog might outlive them and worry about who wouod look after a dog. Powerful attachments.

northshoreniall

Really feel for you, lost my best mate start last week after getting an extra year with him. May last year we thought would lose him with pancreatitis and liver tumour. We didn’t go surgical as was so ill at time and vets suggested euthanasia. Managed to recover him with lots of TLC and with careful diet control and medications he was incredibly well for just short of a year – he declined rapidly virtually a year to the day with a non-liver issue!

If you don’t go surgical and treat conservatively look at diet – low fat diet, and see what supplemental medication can go on. If on long term meds get vet to do you a 3 month private prescription – we saved a fortune doing this way. Our lad was on a hills prescrption diet whic h again was much cheaper online. We used petdrugsonline and were really good and easy use site for uploading scanned scripts.

Edit – forgot add as above – spoil him rotten, we took our lad loads fun places for last year and gave back to him probably only a fraction of what he gave us over the years.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

ridiculously powerfully attached you get to them

Just a turn of phrase. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Poorly Doggy :(’ is closed to new replies.