Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Poorly Dishwasher – DIY / Bin and get new / or engineer?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Turned on our 5 yr old dishwasher this morning and the cycle starts by pumping out any old water. The was a horrible clanking noise as though there is a foreign object inside the pump.

So do I

1. Trying and take it apart myself and find whats wrong? (its a built in one)

2. Call out and engineer

3. Bin it and buy a new one?

Its a Philips Whirlpool, cost about £400 new, so would spend about the same on a new one.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

An engineer told me that fixing built in ones is rarely worthwhile… so I would go the DIY route. If you can get to the pump and clear it out it may just work…

Failing that – new one.

andyl
    Free Member

Get your screwdrivers out 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

There is a washing machine/dishwasher engineer near me who is very good. He works around Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

He doesn’t charge a call out fee, but comes out has a look at the problem and if he can fix it then and there he charges £50. If it needs parts he will get a quote and if you are happy will charge you £50 + parts for the job.

The only thing he charges more for are washing machine bearings.

If your local I would recommend him. http://www.lunar-appliance-repair.co.uk/

SidewaysTim

Have a go yourself, they’re quite simple machines, even though working on them can be a bit tricky in terms of access. Fixed ours a while ago – sweetcorn in the pump.

BigJohn

Sometimes turning it upside down and back upright works. Which is handy as its almost the only thing you can do to them.

project
    Free Member

Conect the outlet hose to the cold tap and secure shut dish washer door and turn on water, this may dislodge whatever is in the pump backwards

toys19
    Free Member

its normally like lego, just apply your brain and dismantle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Poorly Dishwasher – DIY / Bin and get new / or engineer?’ is closed to new replies.