Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Poor treatment by holiday company – hive mind advice wanted.
  • mdavids
    Free Member

Booked a package holiday for July back in March through well known holiday company’s website.
    2 adults and a 15 year old – automatically given a family room.

Holiday company rings today to inform us that the hotel will not honour the booking – the child must be under 15 for a family room.

We can have 2 separate rooms with no guarantee they’ll be together or choose other accomodation. I ask for a full refund instead which they give me. Apparently the hotel wouldn’t budge on policy.

Now I have a very disappointed family and the hassle of finding another holiday.

So. How pissed off should I be? This was to be our first holiday abroad as we usually stay in u.k. Is this part and parcel of the package holiday experience?
    Is it worth taking it further and if so whats the best way of complaining? Twitter, facebook, letter to company? Or just put it down to experience and vow never to use the company again. They wouldn’t even offer me a discount against another of their holidays.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks they’ve been fair?

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

You should have took the two rooms and contacted the hotel a few days before you set off..

mdavids
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks they’ve been fair?

Well being fair, its the hotels policy, not the holiday comany’s. However we really wanted to be in one room and went ahead with the booking as we were given the family room. The website shouldn’t have allowed the booking to go through.

And really, whats the difference between a 14 and 15 year old that means he cant share a family room.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

They’ve cocked up, then put right to the best of their ability, giving you a choice of action, not much else they can do is there?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So you got 100% of your dosh back & your’e still miffed???

What do YOU suggest the holiday company does now?

What’s the name of the holiday company? (I might use them) & what’s the name of the hotel? (so I don’t use them)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would have taken the 2 rooms… I think I have been sleeping my own hotel rooms since like the age of 10. TBH unless there are some special circumstances then a 15 year old would probably could do with the space to attend to their ‘needs’. I’m 22 so 15 was only 7 years ago I would have wanted a room to myself for sure.

mdavids
    Free Member

What do YOU suggest the holiday company does now?

Depends how much they value my custom really. I suggested they give me a financial incentive to re-book with them and got nowhere. After all its their cock-up and IMO its quite a big one.

scaredypants

I’d have bitten their arm off for the 2 rooms – surely everyone’s a winner there ?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    I’d have bitten their arm off for the 2 rooms – surely everyone’s a winner there ?

Double the number of free coffee sachets!!!!

hora
    Free Member

Why must the rooms be ‘together’?! Hes 15 not 10.

crikey
    Free Member

Er, you get to have awkward middle aged ‘Well we are on holiday’ sex, and he gets a room to himself.

I see no downside.

nickjb
    Free Member

They offered two rooms for the price if one or a full refund. Sounds like two good options.

leffeboy

who were the company? they sound as if they have done their best within the options available. Stuff goes wrong and they tried to deal with it. You get to have a room together and he gets to watch continental late night tv 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ring them back. Man up and say ‘on reflection I over reacted. Can we take? I was overworrying about my son.

dazz
    Free Member

mdavids – Member

We can have 2 separate rooms with no guarantee they’ll be together or choose other accomodation.

As far as I can see they’ve tried to put it right, as has already been said, unless there’s a reason for the same room I think you’ve made a mistake, why on earth would you want to stay in the same room as a 15 year old lad & why would he want to spend it in the same room as his parents? My 12 year old daughter has her own room when we go away, albeit it next door & our 12 year old niece comes along so there are 2 of them together, at 15 I wouldn’t have a problem letting her have a room elsewhere in the same hotel.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I would have accepted the two rooms. You could have then assessed the situation once you arrived. If the rooms werent next to each other you could have all bunked in the same room, as I doubt the hotel would have even realised (Although one of you would have ended up on a sofa).

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d echo what the rest of the hive mind has said! At 15 nooooo way did I want to stay in a room with my folks on holiday! Can you remember how much ‘trumpet polishing’ you did at that age?! 😀

hora
    Free Member

😆

project
    Free Member

100% refund, and you want compenstaion for a 3rd parties rules.

lots of cheap holiday deals out there now, just have a look round.

and the lads 15 not 5 so absolutely no need for a shared room with mummy and daddy.

mdavids
    Free Member

Right. Update!!

On reflection you are all correct and 2 separates would be better. I’d happily stick him in a room by himself TBH but my partner was insisting on a family room as she didn’t want us at opposite ends of the hotel.

However now the holiday has been cancelled there’s been a change of heart 🙄 and she’s asked me to try and re-book.

We’ve been offered 2 rooms on a late deal package – same hotel, which has turned out to be nearly £400 cheaper than the original holiday. 😀

shotsaway
    Free Member

Here is somebody polishing their trumpet 😉

shotsaway
    Free Member

We’ve been offered 2 rooms on a late deal package – same hotel, which has turned out to be nearly £400 cheaper than the original holiday.

That sounds Iike a WIN/WIN. Ca-Ching – £400 spending money

cp

Crikey, at 15 I would have jumped at the chance of a room at the other end of the hotel… these days I’d prob email and ask for it specifically!

john_drummer
    Free Member

at 15 I’m not sure I’d even want to be on the same holiday as my folks 😯

hell at 17 I was at uni

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Poor treatment by holiday company – hive mind advice wanted.’ is closed to new replies.