Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Poor Sid…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

I know I shouldn’t laugh at the misfortunes of others, but…

lovl

He didn’t get his weight back, see?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Should’ve kept his weight back, I reckon. Din’t anyone tell him?? 😯

How is Sid? Ok, I hope?

LOL at the turnip right at the end; manages to fall off whilst hardly moving, on a level path!

MrNutt
    Free Member

ow poor Sid, don’t worry Sid, there’s always someone worse off than you, luke for example: Dude!

njee20
    Free Member

I want that 6 minutes of my life back for the 2nd one. Idiots.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I am the idiot with the helmet cam on. I’m sorry your life was so wasted.
    Sid returned to his work 1 year on on light duties then operational again then retired not too long afterwards.
    He has a substantial amount of titanium in his shoulder now.
    We had the cyclescheme at work which encouraged a lot of guys out on their bikes and indeed got me back out enjoying riding again.
    Months! fooking months I had folk at work stating that when doing x,y or z I should have my weight back! 😀 There’s nothing worse listening back to your making a fanny of yourself 😀
    All good fun!

Paul.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

The hardy ol’ bugger sat in a car all the way back to Perth with a shattered shoulder!
    This is what happened to his forks at the bottom of the slab:

😯

The turnip at the end was using SPDs for the first time that day. No one told him the tension could be adjusted on them 😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I feel guilty for laughing now Paul… however it is a very funny video!

Poor Sid – sounds like a hardy bugger though.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Don’t feel quilty. He’s used to it now. 😀 At least he’s away now. I still have ‘weight back, weight back’ written on my locker door and tally on a regular basis. I’m going to have to do something to supercede it to keep things fresh 😀

*Sorry njee20, I didn’t see the link to the second vid. I’m still an idiot with a helmet cam though 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Did that spill seriously affect poor Sid that much? That’s terrible, if so. I’m assuming, from the pic above, that you’se are firefighting bods?

Poor bloke. 🙁

The ‘Dude’ in the second video, apparently ‘just starting out in Freeriding’, well, that’s just stupidity, and deserves little sympathy. His obvious lack of ability to handle that drop shows why he shoon’t have attempted it. Dude.

S’dangerous, innit? 😯

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Sid did bounce back well though (s’cuse the pun.) Aye, Sid was one of our gaffers.
    His golfing is now back on track however he’s noo longer allowed out on his bike. LOL @ a 50 year old being told off by his wife and not getting out to play 😀
    He was getting good prior to the off. He would give anything a gobut knew his limits. He has done more severe drops but I just think the anticipation of the moment got him. He was determined to do it and fair play to him for giving it a go.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, sory, I did enjoy the Sid video, although I feel a bit bad now based on how badly he apparently hurt himself! Glad he’s alright now though! The other one is lame, and clearly not as serious either!

cynic-al
    Free Member

a millisecond of average crashing in 2:46 of video…

matt_outandabout

poor sid, he shoulda had his weight back.

It may also be the outdoor instructor in me, and I may get flamed for this, but…

If I had a mate, new on a bike, first day on spd’s etc etc, maybe I would be taking more care of him than encouraging him to have a go at what is a quite extreme (especially as a newbie) drop….

I mean, no one thought to offer advice on his spds? no-one seems to be bothered that his bike clearly is not a great bike?, or to get his saddle lower by taking the mudguard off?, or to practice a few time getting weight behind the saddle, rather than just leaning back? etc.

I might also suggest its fine to walk round it, and not feel under peer pressure to lean back and just go for it..

😕

lyons
    Free Member

Well said matt. I wanted to say something along those lines , just couldnt think how.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I watched the vid and lol’d a lot….and then read the rest of the thread. Oooops, pretty bad injury – it looked a fairly routine over the bars job. Hard luck Sid!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

He had done worse before and a lot more technical. We frequented Dunkeld where he attacked everything with gusto. He had practiced the techniques on the smaller slab type obstacle prior to the big’un. Only 5 of us did it that day so there was no peer presure there for him to do it. He’s just a very determined guy.
    He was told on several occasions that there was no need to do it. We were there for some time (there was a lot of editing there) He wasn’t the one with the SPDs (the first and last tumbles were). Every time a group goes out there’s a fair chance someone will have a fall Sid was just unfortunate when it came to the result.

matt_outandabout

Every time a group goes out there’s a fair chance someone will have a fall

No. No there is not.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

It must be the fact that the gravitational pull around here is double that of the rest of the planet.
    We went out as a group to have a laugh and a fun time. loads of banter and not 100% concentration on the riding. Perhaps I should have said Every time pur group went out there’s a fair chance someone would have a fall. Whatsmore we’d laugh it off and not spend the rest of the ride getting hung up on the fact not everyone there is a world class rider. 😉 😀

matt_outandabout

Every time our group went out there’s a fair chance someone would have a fall

Glad I don’t ride with your group.

I agree to a certain extent – accidents happen, and sh*t happens. Thats part of the fun of our sport, part of the reason I do it.

But to go out expecting accidents/falls regularly is silly. I ride to (I hope) a good standard – as do most of my riding buddies – but I would get seriously worried if we had more than the occasional tumble, and every so often the ‘oops, bugger, hes hurt’ scenario.

Maybe you all need some more coaching in risk assesment, leading groups and managing risks (on the trail)?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Maybe you all need some more coaching in risk assesment, leading groups and managing risks (on the trail)?

I’ll make do with having fun thanks. We get enough of that p*sh at work! 😀
    A fall can be a slip, trip or a full blown crash. Not all are near death experiences caused by better riders throwing newbies off cliftops.

druidh
    Free Member

Barney_McGrew – Member

A fall can be a slip, trip or a full blown crash. Not all are near death experiences caused by better riders throwing newbies off cliftops.
    😯 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Poor Sid…’ is closed to new replies.