Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • poor mans jeff jones . i like it ;-)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

not mine btw but id like it 😉

coogan
    Free Member

I don't.

tinsy
    Free Member

Too niche for me.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I do.

STATO
    Free Member

if it was a 'poor mans' version it wouldnt have a £150 saddle, £150+ bars (when alu versions are only £50) or avid ultimate v-levers.

2 out of 10

firestarter
    Free Member

alright poorer mans than a man with a jones ;-0

epicsteve
    Free Member

Not in the Jones class for ugliness but certainly no looker. It wouldn't look too bad with a front tyre that matched the rear, but I also don't like the bend in the seat-tube.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If its anything like a Jones, I'm just glad that works tinterweb blocks most images!

geoffj

al_f
    Free Member

What's the deal with massive tyres instead of a suspension fork? Surely any benefit in reduced weight is offset by the fact that all the weight of the tyre is rolling mass whereas the fork's weight wouldn't be? Madness, surely? 😯

firestarter
    Free Member

the real deal

slowjo
    Free Member

How long does it take you to pump that thing up on the trail??????

Haze

Chainline
    Free Member

I like it, but there again I would. Pricey bars and saddle are hardly worthy of suggesting it is not relatively budget judging by what I see on this forum!!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I think that looks ace. it would utterly rock in the snow.

singlespeedstu

Pugsley fork on a Monkey.

Lowers the bb and steepens up the head angle a bit too much.

Wait until Salsa bring out the new fat fork. It's got a longer a to c measurement.

terrahawk
    Free Member

it doesn't look overly low / steep on that photo.
    I'd have thought that the sheer size of the tyre would counter any lack of fork length anyway.

not that I want to get into a debate about it.

firestarter
    Free Member

i had been toying with the idea stu but the wheel price alone is a big one 😉 then tyre and forks needed too

Raouligan
    Free Member

There's a Chris Holm rim that's not daft money and you can just use a standard disk hub, tyre is a bit though, not that I'd been looking into it at all…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can say to convince me that those bikes will be anything other than awful to ride.

Chainline
    Free Member

No ones trying to convince you Peter, I rode one, liked it.

Al_f, its not just some suspension action that the tyre/wheel is for, its also the fact it rolls over obstacles easily, and also the grip is massive from the huge contact patch, not in mud with an endomorph though. Waiting for a Larry http://surlybikes.com/parts/larry_tire/

nickc

They are surprisingly good fun, although admittedly built for admiring the forest fauna, rather than crushing it mercilessly under your relentless speed, the front makes a pretty good job of cushioning all the lumps and bumps, better in a lot of ways than a fork does, and the front end grip is like being winched up hill.

They have their place I reckon

BigDummy
    Free Member

🙂

Like it. Picked up a monkey last night. I'm not going to do that to it anytime soon though.

al_f
    Free Member

Chainline – Member
    No ones trying to convince you Peter, I rode one, liked it.

Al_f, its not just some suspension action that the tyre/wheel is for, its also the fact it rolls over obstacles easily, and also the grip is massive from the huge contact patch, not in mud with an endomorph though. Waiting for a Larry http://surlybikes.com/parts/larry_tire/

Fair enough. I have to take issue with this though:

nickc – Member
    the front end grip is like being winched up hill.

Front wheel drive as well, is it?

firestarter
    Free Member

my monkey 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Like the saddle! I'd post mine, but I only got it last night and it currently has about 3 feet of surplus steerer tube, and I can't quite be bothered with listening to being told that I should cut it. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

lol mines got no pedals on but dont tell em 😉

matching grips too nice bit of brown and pink action lol

singlespeedstu

Makes me kind of wish I still had my brown monkey.

james
    Free Member

"What's the deal with massive tyres instead of a suspension fork?"

In the case of endomorphs, they're for (very) soft sand or snowy conditions. a narrower tyre + sus. fork would sink in

bonesetter
    Free Member

SST: My God! What's happened to it? Have you sold a bike?

firestarter
    Free Member

makes me wish i had a huge tyre that would fit my normal sized wheel to try 🙂

singlespeedstu

bonesetter – Member

SST: My God! What's happened to it? Have you sold a bike?

I do sometimes sell bikes you know. Just not very often. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

It doesn't look so good the other way round.

singlespeedstu

mi©k – Member

makes me wish i had a huge tyre that would fit my normal sized wheel to try

I might try the Salsa fat fork and new Larry tyre on my Black Sheep as it's just a tatty old bit of Ti that I don't mind pissing about with. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah if it doesnt work out just bin it 🙂 what width rim would you need for that. Whats the width of hub needed on the salsa fork

singlespeedstu

I was thinking of trying a 47mm KH rim. I think the Salsa fork will be a standard width hub.

Edit. Looks like it's a 135 spacing.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers mate will have a look around 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

There are two options with the Salsa fork, but they recommend you go for 135mm as it's then easier to get the wheel in and out.

mocha
    Free Member

so when's this Salsa fork going to be available…?

Clink

I've been pining after a steel Jones for a few days now…I can't afford and they are overpriced but it just seems (to me) so right

(please don't stone me!) 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘poor mans jeff jones . i like it ;-)’ is closed to new replies.