Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pool of water at the bottom of my windows – HELP!
  • mrchrist

Hi – Am getting of pool of water collecting at the bottom of my down stairs windows each morning. Seals seem to be ok at first glance, any other things it could be?

kcal

double glazed?

our single glazed windows pool water at an alarming rate when the weather is of a certain type..

mrchrist

double.

cdoc
    Free Member

My knackered double glazed hall window collects a surprising amount of condensation through the winter, too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Inside the sealed Glazing unit? – Seal’s busted and glazing unit needs replaced.

On the cill internally? Did it rain overnight? No? – Condensation.

On the cill internally? Did it rain overnight? Yes? – External seals are likely gubbed or window is out of alignment. Get a window fitter to look at them.

mrchrist

Thanks perchypanther. will look into that.

teef
    Free Member

Condensation – the temperature drops overnight below the dew point and the moisture in the air condenses on the coolest surface – the windows. Seems to occur with mild damp days and cooler nights. Either keep the heating on low overnight or maybe get a dehumidifier.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Have you closed the trickle vents?

They are the little slot vents at the top of the windows.

If you have excess condensation there are a few causes

– No trickle vents
    – Curtains remaining closed all day and night leading to an air pocket
    – An excess of moisture in the air, Leaks etc

hora
    Free Member

Could be a failed unit. I put a pebble through one via my lawnmower a replacement unit cost £90 fitted.

chickenman

If they are inward opening the deal is that some water will always get past the seal at the bottom (between sash and frame) and collect in a channel where it drains to the outside via a couple of holes (often sealed up by braindead fitters).

senorj

Condensation. Check the trickle vents are clear,ours were full of swarf.
    Vac the sills to clear.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Condensation ought to occur within the outside brickwork skin or cavity, hence the air bricks and drip on Wall ties. Bricks are porous so if condensation happened in the external brickwork skin it goes to atmosphere.

If it doesn’t then it’s either

Not enough ventilation,
    K value of your wall make up is screwed, meaning your dew point occurs on the inside brickwork ( probably block)

Doubtful it’s the second option. Increase ventilation.

Onc level building engineer ought to be able to calculate the theoretical dew point location,

novaswift
    Free Member

Aluminium framed Windows are notorious for condensation. We replaced ours with pvc and rarely ever get condensation now .

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Turn it into wine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/gS1RIyR6uW8[/video]

isitafox
    Free Member

Condensation, if you’re unlucky enough to have trickle vents fitted then open them. Otherwise have the window in question opened very slightly (most uPVC furniture allows you to still lock them in a night vent position).

Always made me laugh when I used to work for a window company how many people would complain at the fact the inside of their windows were wet in a morning yet never opened them.

CraigW
    Free Member

Get a Scoopy and wipe off and collect the condensation in the morning. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24546/The-Scoopy

rubymurry
    Free Member

I had same problem boughta dehumidifier and problems gone

ononeorange

Of no help but I put it down to “that time of year”. The big single-glazed windows in our kitchen just flow with water now – I can wipe them (cue a lake forming) and in half an hour they’re soaked again. Coldest part of a fairly damp room etc etc. They don’t open. Upstairs Windows the same too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pool of water at the bottom of my windows – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.