Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ponds on Holmbury Hill
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Are there some or did I dream it?

oldgit
    Free Member

Dunno, were you asleep when you saw them?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not sure I'm sure someone said there were some near the youth hostel place.

glenp
    Free Member

Is that a cryptic post?

There are several, including one in the middle of the hill fort. Water on high ground is a distinctive characteristic of Surrey Hills sandy geology – the site of the oldest built dwelling in the country is next door in Abinger Common, adjacent to some springs on high ground.

xcgb
    Free Member

Not at the moment!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not at all Glen I often ride with the mutt and she likes and needs water when it's hot. So there is the pond at the bottom of Pitch, there is a very little pond to the right of the the bridleway just above the Glade car park and sometimes the pond up at the Summit of Holmbury when it's not dried up as it was yesterday. I'm sure someone metioned that near the hostel there are two ponds and I wondered where? It's useful to me to know where the standing water is or my dog overheats.

glenp
    Free Member

The one by the YH will still be wet – if you're facing up the hill it will be to your right. There's a funky little path that goes through the undergrowth to it. If you follow through that way you skirt around the edge of Holmbury and it is a quick way to cut over to BKB.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I was there yesterday and there were three paths, Telegraph Road to the left a little path in the middle and a wider bridleway to my right, I took the middle one but no pond!

glenp
    Free Member

Got you jools – go west out of YH car park and you find the really big long fire-road that goes all the way to the top. Cross straight over that via the cheeky little path/gulley.

Edit – to the right of the right one!

Seb_C
    Free Member

From the YH car park turn right onto the bridleway (bottom of Telegraph Road to the left, as mentioned). A short way down there are two ponds either side of the path.

Also as glenp noted, if you follow this trail it takes you more of less straight to the reservoir at the top of BKB.

joolsburger
    Free Member

So that's around the wooden gate I believe I shall have a go this week.

glenp
    Free Member

They're in the left of this image

Edit – if you zoom in

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks guys the dog will be slightly happier I'm sure!

glenp
    Free Member

Happy and smelly!

Howard at Pedal and Spoke has a hose down the side of the shop, normally used for bike washing. I'm sure he'd be amenable if you wanted to cool the dog.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ponds on Holmbury Hill’ is closed to new replies.