Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Pompino disc brake fork recommendations please
  • andyh2
    Free Member

Thinking of a front disc braked Pompino.

Any ideas and recommendations for a rigid fork which will take discs.

I prefer the ‘old’ style curve shape in a fork rather than the straight blade style. Prefer steel but would consider carbon. But maybe beggars can’t be choosers.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well? 🙂

was thinking about a roadhog fork but the STWer who i rode with for a few miles home last night reckoned they're ridiculously heavy. any suggestions?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Kona P2 700c

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

that's what i'm leaning towards. anyone run one of those with a full mudguard? (i know, i know!)

the issue i have is i want a disc up front, but want to keep the guards on.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

you will probably have to bolt the disc side of the mudguard to the disc caliper.

I have discs and a front rack on mine and the mudduard is bolted to the front rack

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one, cheers.

got any pics, out of interest?

oddjob
    Free Member

Unless you are getting hydraulic brakes, I would say don't bother. I spent a lot of time and effort building up a drop bar road rat and it is very heavy and rather dissapointing. The total is less than the sum of the parts and the BB7 brakes are more trouble than they are worth.
    Just my 2p worth. I wish I'd put on canti's or Vs instead, but as I have disc only rims, I can't be arsed with changing everything.
    (Next time I'm getting a Spec singlecross)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I'll take one for you 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

well hydraulic would be the plan – i got a flat bar pomp from a chap off here a few months ago, and have been using it loads for commuting/trips to the shops/pub outings/general round town.

the one thing i don't like is having to adjust the v brake on the front all the time to keep it working properly, having got so used to discs, plus the emergency stopping power in the traffic compared to my other bikes. so i want a nice hydraulic disc on the front. the roadhog looks perfect, and i like the design of having the tab on the front right to keep the guard mounts clear, but it sounds a bit agricultural.

samuri
    Free Member

Like this?

Karate Monkey fork re-powdercoated white. Bit long really but it rides fine.

Sam

Singular Peregrine fork? Lugged crown, raked blades, disc only, probably roughly the right length. Deep red as per the frames only. I have a few available individually. £70. Email in profile

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah samuri – i asked you about it on your flickr 🙂

looks good, but not sure about the length or fitting a guard as well.

sam, how roughly are we talking? and have you got a pic?

samuri
    Free Member

aah sorry mate.

theflatboy
    Free Member

no probs. it's a tricky problem and yours does tempt me.

sam, had a look at the peregrine fork, looks like a very decent option. it would sort of almost just about match the logo colours so wouldn't look too bad. you got the dimensions for it?

and has anyone got the dimensions of the pomp fork, couldn't find them?

acjim
    Free Member

I use a p2 700c with full guards, had to use p-clips in the end to attach the stays to the fork as there isn't a guard mount on the disc side drop out. There are low rider mounts on mine which could possibly be used but p-clips seemed easiest.

They're ok forks, not light though!

Would love to try some more sprightly high end steel forks, viscous cycles or something.

samuri
    Free Member

I would say one thing about P2's is that they are incredibly stiff. This may not be good thing depending on what you intend doing with it.

acjim
    Free Member

yup, very stiff – track very well but are punishing on hands through the rough stuff.

oddjob
    Free Member

That Pompino looks nice, I kind of miss mine, but not putting the cahin back on all the time or trueing the back wheel each time i rode it. The main pain the backside with these things are the track ends that make fixing a flat such a pain when you have mudguards on.
    Still haven't found a good solution to that and the geared roadrat is even worse…

Sam

Peregrine fork is 410mm long and 48mm of rake.

dicky
    Free Member

My recommendation would be the Salsa cromoto. Lovely fork.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers sam, i will give it some thought. and cheers dicky, interesting option as well.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

The main pain the backside with these things are the track ends that make fixing a flat such a pain when you have mudguards on.

Oddjob – have a look at STATO's solution in this thread. Pretty neat and makes it less of a chore.

Sam

I think the Salsa will be too long, they're 445 minimum I think. They are also made from the same Reynolds 520 blades as the Surly fork above, my mtn forks, and Niner forks – most likely also in the same factory. If you make those blades short enough (i.e. around 400mm), they will be rather stout, as per those from my first Peregrine samples before I went for the lugged crown. I guess the Pompino really wants a fork around 390mm ideally? i.e. a normal cross length? Brant?

theflatboy
    Free Member

well, sam, i found that the cromoto is also available in a 425mm version which is a bit closer, but obviously still longer than the peregrine. though that may well be a little longer than the pomp fork, but probably manageable.

i can't find the pomp fork length anywhere so will measure it, but your suggestion sounds like a good option.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

As promised

theflatboy
    Free Member

thanks for the pics paul. 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If you can find one s/hand, the Bonty Satellite Elite is tidy and weighs sub 700g which isn't too bad.

Have a look at the Trek Portland.

see here

If you want light the Trigon do an all carbon disc-only which is 500g-ish with a 41.5cm C2A length. See Ebay.

AdamM
    Free Member

I have a Kona P2 disc only fork and it has mudguard eyelets as well as the disc mount. I run it with full length SKS guards and have simply cut the upper stay on the left hand side. The lower stay fits 'under' the disc caliper and the mid point of the mudguard is held in place by the right hand stay. I've commuted like that for 2 years and it's never budged.

Guys above are correct though, the P2 is rather stiff. It suits me for the bike I've got it on, but YMMV.

For the rear, just get a second pair of SKS Secu-clips and attach the stays with them, that way it's ded easy to pop the stays out of the clips to remove the wheel from the track ends. I may have some photos at home.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well a very dodgy measurement confirms that the pomp takes a 390mm fork.

hmmm… what to do. perhaps i'll just get some frame builder to weld a disc tab onto the front of my existing fork. any idea how easy that would be/how much it would cost, anyone?!

momentum
    Free Member

Just be aware that disc tabs put a fair bit of force on the fork blade which the pomp fork wouldn't have been designed for. I'm sure it's stout and might be fine, but it would suck if the disk ripped the front of one blade off while going down a hill! When I was thinking of doing the same thing Dave Yates advised me strongly against it and I trust his opintion.

I bought a nashbar carbon disc form from the states for my cross check which does the job – it's the same as the much more expensive winwood you can buy over here. Only thing is that they wanted a ridculous amount of money for international postage so had to get a mate to bring it back. If I was you I'd buy Sam's fork.

Oddjob

Unless you are getting hydraulic brakes, I would say don't bother. I spent a lot of time and effort building up a drop bar road rat and it is very heavy and rather dissapointing. The total is less than the sum of the parts and the BB7 brakes are more trouble than they are worth.

My experience of putting a road BB7 on the front of my crosscheck was very different. Excellent braking and very easy to keep the BB7 working well.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ha – what would dave yates know about it?! oh yes, i remember…

i think on balance that the option of a tasty peregrine fork's the one to go for, but on bank balance i'm trying to work out if i can afford to do it all at the mo, what with the new fork, wheel and brake itself that would be required. i suppose i could get the fork and keep it until i've got a bit more cash for the other bits. how much difference is it really going to make going from the correct sized 390mm fork to the 410mm peregrine?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i had discs on a CX bike and i concluded its not really worth the expense and extra weight. With cable discs you still have to replace the cables every so often and adjust them. I found they worked better when adjusted at the caliper too (for shimano ones) rather than simply turning the barrel adjuster on the lever.

i really wouldn't weld a disc tab onto a non disc fork either! not unless you've got an NHS denitst.

alpin
    Free Member

samuri….supa sexy bike!

samuri
    Free Member

thank you alpin.

I'd say where disks help you on a cross bike is the pads and rims. Obviously it depends where you ride but on my old pompy, before I put a front disk on I would go through a set of pads avery two weeks and a rim every couple of months. Even just fitting a front disk is enough to ensure the rear pad and rim wear is acceptable.

AdamM
    Free Member

how much difference is it really going to make going from the correct sized 390mm fork to the 410mm peregrine?

You'll be fine. If you were looking a t a 440mm fork then you might start to get worried, but 20mm won't make a sufficiently noticeable difference.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was using an exotic carbon fork before the p2, it was fine but a little wandery on really really steep stuff

Nick

Still haven't found a good solution to that and the geared roadrat is even worse…

I just made sure that there was enough space between the wheel and the guard to pull the wheel out, ok so the guard does not follow the exact contour of the wheel but it's not really noticable imo.

Looks very nice in white, tried to convince my missus to get one for her 4 mile commute but she refused, she got made redundant a little while later so probably for the best.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i only use my pomp for town duties – commuting and errands etc. so shouldn't notice a slight handling change, i wouldn't have thought.

sam, you still got a fork for me – think we're in business?

🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

hey sam, did you get the payment and the address i sent you ok? 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

sam?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Pompino disc brake fork recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.