Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Pompetamine a cx world tourer
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

Oppinions please. Want double dingle with Jones H-Bar upfront. Disc brakes. Whats your take?

drlex
    Free Member

Small feet required – toe overlap my only bugbear.

Daffy

I’ll let you know next week once mine’s completed.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Would a Kaffenback not be better. Choice of dropouts, so could take spares.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs Stoner and I took it’s sprocket deficient older sibling on a 3,000 mile tour a few years back

http://pompinos.blogspot.co.uk/

If I were to do it all again, I would take my pompetamine with the rohloff hub* and disk brakes, but stick to saddlebag and bar bag. Maybe adding a frame bag.

* only because I now own one. Id still be happy to SS it.

Moses

Stoner, that looks a lovely trail & scenery. Where is it?

flange
    Free Member

Stoner – its been a long time since I’ve seen a picture that makes me want to ride a bike. Thats lovely, nice job!

honourablegeorge

Which bars are those, Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

they are midges.

lovely lazy hand position on the hoods.

honourablegeorge

Cool. I have Salsa Woodchippers that I’m not 100% happy with. Those look neater.

Stoner
    Free Member

more pics for you

honourablegeorge

Hmm – they’re actually very similar, looking at that. Just the woodchippers have a very long dropped section.

Maybe some pipecutter action to shorten them a touch might be the way to go.

Stoner
    Free Member

Dimensions and stuff:- Geometry:-
    Width at the ends — 554mm – centre/centre
    Width of “flat section” or “tops” – 375mm
    Overall drop – 112mm centre/centre
    Sweep forward – 64.5mm centre/centre (from centre of bar clamp to centre of tube at the front.
    Flare at ends – 113deg Finish – black anodised with lazer logos.
    ID at ends (for bar end shifter users) – 19.8mm
    Brake Lever clamp size on main bit of bar – 23.8 (road lever clamp standard)
    Stem Bar C. Material:- 6061 aluminium.

get your ruler out 🙂

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on_one_midge_handlebar

annebr
    Free Member

Mine 🙂

I’ve got a nexus8 on mine.

honourablegeorge

Stoner – Member

get your ruler out

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on_one_midge_handlebar

Heh. I was just going to go for it, to be honest. Your way is so much more sensible. Tricky to compare the website numbers.

110mm drop, 80mm reach
    30deg drop angle, 26deg flare angle
    Approximate weight 353 grams

mikey74
    Free Member

Damn it!! Last year I looked into doing the Trans America, but pretty much dismissed it on financial grounds.

Those pics have brought the urge flooding back.

oregon29
    Free Member

Nice annebr, yours is similar to an ultimate urban commuter i’d like to build. What wheels are those? Anyone with dynamo f hubs. Hows the shimano nexus dynamo hub?

STATO
    Free Member

Heh. I was just going to go for it, to be honest. Your way is so much more sensible. Tricky to compare the website numbers.

You realise cutting them will have no effect on fit or comfort, only looks? is that why you are doing it?

I didnt like my woodchippers. Got the new cowbell bar now, much more suited to my wrist (i didnt like the midges either).

fourbanger
    Free Member

In going to say too flexible (unless you travel light) for a world tour, unless sending on parcels/buying kit for varying conditions. Might be ok if you didn’t camp.

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’ll be travelling somewhere in-between light and ultra light. i.e Base pack weight less than 6kg + food.

Rackless setup.

Rollup out front, rear saddle bag and full size frame bag.

Cant see it being flexy. I’ll be around 75kg when I hit the road.

annebr
    Free Member

oregon29 – Member
    Nice annebr, yours is similar to an ultimate urban commuter i’d like to build. What wheels are those? Anyone with dynamo f hubs. Hows the shimano nexus dynamo hub?

I realised a bit late that I put Nexus I actually meant Alfine 8.

The wheels are a mix. I got the back wheel with Alfine hub from Cotic bikes and the front wheel was the cheapest I could find from an online bike shop. Had to buy separate cos Cotic didn’t have any front wheels in stock (doh).

I really like the Alfine hub, nice and smooth, and I like the trigger shifters. I also have a Rohloff on my MTB which is brilliant but I prefer the trigger shifters on this to the twist grip on the Rohloff.

honourablegeorge

STATO – Member

You realise cutting them will have no effect on fit or comfort, only looks? is that why you are doing it?

Yeah – the drop piece in the main is too long and bulky. The midge has a shallower drop from the looks of it(although the measurements suggest three’s very little in it – 110mm vs 112) and a flatter drop section. I find them pretty comfy on the hoods, and don’t ride the drops much, so it’s mainly to reduce the width and make them a bit neater. Midges seems to be angled down a bit less, bit I think I can tweak the position a little to help that.

Plus I like cutting stuff.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll be travelling somewhere in-between light and ultra light. i.e Base pack weight less than 6kg + food.
    Rackless setup.

That’ll work. I didn’t get on with panniers on mine, but a Carradice and bar bag worked pretty well. Ultralight is the way forward!

loughor
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry. I’ve a Alfine 8 model, anyone care to recommend a rear rack please. Love the bike, bought 2nd hand for a steal, btw

jameso

Rackless setup.

Similar to my bikepack set-up. 4.5kg is about as low as I can go if sleeping out. By the time you add food, water and those extras that creep in, 7-8kg, maybe 10kg at times. ime that’s enough to start noticing a less stiff frame flexing, but that’s for off-road use (I’m same weight as you). A friend is riding across Asia at the moment with that kind of set-up on a Surly Ogre, he’s quite happy with it all.

Interested in the dinglespeed idea for this.. where are you riding, on or off-road? I’ve tried a few bikepacking rides SS and it’s ok, I like the idea of simpler drivetrains but would prefer a few gears. Not tried the dinglespeed idea yet.

mikehow
    Free Member

@jamesco does your mate have a blog? Would be interested in seeing his set up.

I’m setting off to cycle the amercias via the great divide this summer, I’m currently building up an ogre with a rohloff hub.

Pompetamine/Kaffenbacks are great bikes, I’ve done alot of touring on my Kaffenback but they are flexy with too much weight and toe overlap is an issue if you are running traditional panniers.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Annebr, what bars are those on your pompino? On one Marys? Looking to give my missus’ old MTB a bit of a hybrid/commuter makeover and those look just the ticket.

jameso

mike, it’s here – http://bangkoktobeijing.weebly.com/

when/where are you starting on the GD?

annebr
    Free Member

StefMcDef – Member
    Annebr, what bars are those on your pompino? On one Marys? Looking to give my missus’ old MTB a bit of a hybrid/commuter makeover and those look just the ticket.

Yup they are Mary bars

mikehow
    Free Member

@jamesco Nice site.

I’m riding down from Prudhoe Bay in late June so estimate I’ll hit the GD in Banff around early August.

jameso

Nice.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Pompetamine a cx world tourer’ is closed to new replies.